Over the last decade, more and more card issuers have been ramping up their metal credit card offerings. This is partly because metal cards are heavier and hold up better to daily use, but also because metal cards have become something of a status symbol in some circles.
But metal credit cards aren’t just for show. Most of the time, metal credit cards are geared to consumers with excellent credit, high incomes and frequent flyer lifestyles, and most are actually highly rated in terms of the rewards and benefits they offer. If you have what it takes to get approved for a metal credit card, here are the top cards to consider:
Best metal credit cards
- Earn 50,000 points worth $750 in travel when you spend $4,000 on your card within three months of account opening
- Earn 3x points on travel (after earning your $300 travel credit) and dining and 1x points on other purchases; also earn 10x points on Lyft rides (through March 2022)
- Cardholder benefits include airport lounge access, a $300 annual travel credit, a credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck, a one year Lyft Pink membership with 15% off all Lyft rides, up to $120 in DoorDash credits and more
- $550 annual fee
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $5,000 on your card within six months of account opening
- Earn 5x Membership Rewards points for flights booked directly with airlines or flights and prepaid hotels booked through AmexTravel.com; earn 1x points on other purchases
- Key travel benefits include a $200 airline fee credit, airport lounge membership, a credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck, up to $200 in Uber credits per year and more
- $550 annual fee
- Terms Apply
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4x points on up to $25,000 in purchases spent at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets each year, 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through AmexTravel.com and 1x points on other purchases
- Cardholder benefits include up to $120 in dining credits, a $100 airline fee credit and more (New and existing Gold Card members will only be able to continue to utilize the airline fee credit through December 31, 2021)
- $250 annual fee
- Terms Apply
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 60,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $600 in travel
- Earn unlimited 2x miles on all purchases
- Receive up to $100 credit toward Global Entry or TSA Precheck
- $95 annual fee
- Earn 60,000 points worth $750 toward travel when you spend $4,000 on your card within three months of account opening
- Earn 2x points on travel and dining and 1x points on other purchases; also earn 5x points on Lyft rides (through March 2022)
- Important benefits include trip cancellation and interruption insurance, primary auto rental insurance, baggage delay insurance and no foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee
- Earn 50,000 points when you spend $4,000 on your card within three months of account opening
- Earn 5x points on airfare and dining, 3x points on hotels and cruises and 1x points on other purchases
- Cardholder benefits include airport lounge access, a complimentary 4th night hotel benefit, up to $250 in travel credits per year, a credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck and more
- $495 annual fee
The information for Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by Bankrate.com. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
How to get a metal credit card
Getting a metal credit card requires the same process as any other type of credit card, except for the fact that these cards are mostly only available to consumers with excellent credit. This typically means having a FICO score of 720 or higher, although card issuers tend to be tight-lipped about credit requirements.
If you think you have the income and credit score to get approved, you can start the process by researching all the top metal credit cards on the market today. Once you find a card that offers a rewards program and selection of benefits that works for your needs, you can start the process to apply online.
Fortunately, the application process is typically a piece of cake. You can apply for credit card offers online by providing some basic information including your name, address, email address, income, type of employment and Social Security number. You’ll typically be able to find out if you’re approved in less than a minute, although you might also be notified by email or regular mail after you apply.
What to know about metal credit cards
Metal credit cards aren’t that different than traditional credit cards other than the fact they’re heavier and more durable. Still, there are a few details you should know before you sign up for a metal card and receive it in the mail.
Metal cards can be difficult to dispose of
First off, metal rewards credit cards are notoriously difficult to get rid of, mostly because you cannot cut them with scissors or send them through a paper shredder. According to some, you may be able to destroy a metal card with power tools or industrial strength shears. When you ultimately cancel a metal credit card, your best options include stashing it away for safekeeping or mailing it to the card issuer so they can destroy it on your behalf.
Metal credit cards may set off metal detectors
Some metal credit cards might set off metal detectors, so if this happens to you, you shouldn’t be surprised. Fortunately, you won’t get in trouble if your credit card sets off a metal detector. Once you’ve proven that your metal credit card isn’t a security threat, you’ll be sent on your way.
Metal cards aren’t necessarily better
Finally, don’t assume that metal credit cards are significantly better than their plastic counterparts. The reality is, the best credit card for you depends on the features you need the most, the rewards you want to earn and how you plan to use credit for the long haul.