Last updated: October 31, 2018
- Information collected through mediums other than our Services;
- Information collected by any person or entity other than us, even if related to our Services
(such as a third-party website, application, widget or lead form).
Information We Collect and Receive About You
We might receive or collect several types of information about you, such as the information described below:
- Phone Number
- Social Security Number
- Credit Card Number
- Date of Birth
Information You Provide
The following are situations in which you may provide Your Information to us:
- When you fill out forms or fields through our Services;
- When you sign up for any newsletters or other materials, our authenticated user experience, or other products and services through our Services;
- When you provide information to us through a third-party application, service or website;
- When you communicate with us or request information about us or our Services, whether via email or other means;
- When you participate in online surveys;
- When you participate in any of our marketing initiatives, including, contests, events, or promotions; and
- When you participate in forums or provide user generated content or submissions.
User Data Supplementation
Information Third Parties Provide
We may collect information about you from sources other than you, such as from social media websites (i.e., Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or others), blogs, other users and our business partners.
General Use and Preference Information
We may collect, receive and store information regarding your general use of our Services (such as details of how and when you used our Services, interactions with our Services, log in information, resources that you access, your Internet protocol address, your browser type, and your device type), as well as your preferences. Our Services may feature proprietary measurement software, which will allow you to contribute to market research.
When you use our Services through your computer, mobile phone or other device, we may collect information regarding and related to your device, such as hardware models and IDs, device type, operating system version, the request type, the content of your request and basic usage information about your use of our Services, such as date and time. In addition, we may collect information regarding application-level events and associate that with your account to provide customer service. We may also collect and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage and application data caches.
If you enable the collection of location information on your device, then we may collect information about your actual location, such as your mobile device’s GPS coordinates. We may also use other technologies to determine your location (such as through the location of nearby Wi-Fi access points or cell towers), or obtain your location information from third parties.
We may collect your phone number in several ways. For example, we may collect your phone number: (i) if you submit your phone number to us through our Services; (ii) by capturing your phone number if you call us; or (iii) if a third party provides your phone number to us.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Log Files, Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
From time to time, we may participate in, partner with, or use advertising networks, such as third-party advertising servers, advertising agencies, technology vendors and research firms. For example, we use Google AdSense to publish ads on our Services. When you view or click on an ad, a cookie will be set to help better provide advertisements that may be of interest to you on this and other Web sites. In addition, we may use third-party advertising networks to serve advertisements to you on our Web site, or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third-party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. This practice is often referred to as “online behavioral advertising.”
Please see the “Online Behavioral Advertising” subsection of Choices About How We Use and Collect Your Information below to read about how you can prevent certain third-party advertising networks from collecting information about you.
This website features Nielsen’s audience measurement software which will collect information about your activities online for market research purposes. If you are not currently a Nielsen panelist and do not wish to participate in Nielsen’s digital measurement research, you may opt out on browsers by clicking here. To learn more about our digital audience measurement products and your choices in regard to them, please visit http://www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information.
How We Secure Your Information
Bankrate’s web servers support the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) transaction protocol originally developed by Netscape and now largely accepted as an industry standard. The purpose of this encryption protocol is to keep confidential the information passed back and forth between a web server and its users. We work to protect personally identifiable information stored on the site’s servers from unauthorized access using industry standard computer security products, such as firewalls, as well as carefully developed security procedures and practices. In addition, a username, member ID name and password are required for you to use, view or change application or interview information. We use both internal and external resources to review the adequacy of our security measures on a regular basis.
How We Use Information
We may make Use of Your Information for various lawful business purposes. Among others, these purposes may include using Your Information to:
- Engage in customer support. For example, we might confirm and complete transactions requested by you, verify information you provide to us and provide you with administrative notices.
- Contact you with information. For example, we might provide or contact you through telephone, email, postal or other communications with Service updates, promotional materials, surveys, offers, quotes, personalized information and other information from us or our business partners.
- Analyze and improve our Services and operations. For example, we might obtain feedback regarding our Services, understand and anticipate your needs and preferences, better understand your use of our Services, customize and tailor Service content and advertising, improve our marketing and promotional efforts, engage in statistical analysis and provide feedback to our vendors, advertisers and other third parties.
How We Disclose Information
General Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose Your Information:
- To any person who, in our reasonable judgment, is authorized to receive Your Information, including as a result of your business dealings with that person (for example, your attorney);
- To our third-party vendors so that they may provide support for our internal and business operations, including for the handling of data processing, data verification, data storage, market measurement, surveys, research, internal marketing, delivery of promotional, marketing and transaction materials, and our Services’ maintenance and security. These companies are authorized to Use Your Information only as necessary to provide these services to us and are contractually obligated to keep Your Information confidential;
- To third parties when you use our Services to request a quote, services, or information from one or more of those third parties (e.g. an insurance provider relating to your completion of an insurance quote form) (“Requested Service Providers”), such as by clicking “get your quotes” or other similar buttons at the end of a form, and we may be compensated for such disclosure;
- To third parties that are interested in contacting you or providing offers to you that may be related to our Services or about products or services you may find of interest, and we may be compensated for such disclosure;
- As required by law or ordered by a court, regulatory, or administrative agency such as to comply with a subpoena, bankruptcy proceedings, or similar legal process;
- As we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, if we believe that you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation, or are otherwise interfering with another’s rights or property, including, without limitation, our rights or property;
- If requested by authorities in the event of any act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency;
- To enforce or protect our rights;
- Relating to a Business Transfer, as defined below (see Business Transfers below); and
- To our affiliated companies (i.e., companies under common control or management with us).
If you do not want Your Information shared as described above, then you should not provide us with Your Information.
Requests for Quotes and Services from Requested Service Providers
As noted above, we may share Your Information with Requested Service Providers when you use our Services to request a quote, services or information from one or more third parties (a “Request”). IF YOU SUBMIT A REQUEST, REQUESTED SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY CONTACT YOU DIRECTLY WITH QUOTES VIA MAIL, TELEPHONE, TEXT MESSAGE, FAX, EMAIL AND OTHER MEANS OF COMMUNICATION. YOU MAY RECEIVE TELEMARKETING CALLS AS A CONSEQUENCE OF SUBMITTING A REQUEST THROUGH OUR SERVICES, EVEN IF YOU ARE ON THE NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY OR ANY OTHER DO NOT CALL REGISTRY.
Please note that if you submit a Request through our Services and we share Your Information as described above relating to your Request, you will not have the opportunity to opt out of the disclosure of Your Information about that Request.
Aggregation and De-Personalization
We may take Your Information and de-identify it either by combining it with information about other individuals (aggregating Your Information with information about other individuals), or by removing characteristics (such as your name) that make the information personally identifiable to you (de-identifying Your Information). We reserve the right to share, loan, rent, sell, or otherwise disclose such information to third parties at any time, for any lawful purpose, without notice or compensation to you.
Sharing with Friends
If the Services contains any functionality allowing you to send content to a friend, then please be aware that: (a) we may display your email address to your friend; and (b) we may use
information you provide about your friend to facilitate the communication and as otherwise set
sweepstakes for our specific policies regarding information sharing and disclosure pursuant to that sweepstakes entry.
Circumvention of Security Measures
equity, and/or assets (including our Services) to an affiliate or independent third party at any
time, for any lawful purpose, without compensation to you. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website, of any change in ownership, uses of your personally
identifiable information, and choices you may have regarding your personally identifiable
information. We may also disclose your personally identifiable information to any other third party with your prior consent.
You must be at least 13 years of age to register with or use certain portions of the Services. The Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under 13 years of age may provide any personally identifiable information to or on the Services. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13. If you believe that we may have any information from or about a child, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
User Generated Content
We offer publicly accessible blogs and other interactive media through our Services. To request removal of Your Information from our blog or community forum, contact us at email@example.com. In some cases, we may not be able to remove Your Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
You are responsible for any content, including personally identifiable information, that you contribute to be published or displayed (“posted”) on our Services, or that you transmit to other users of our Services (collectively, “User Generated Content”). Your User Generated Content is posted on and transmitted to other users of our Services at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of our Services with whom you may choose to share your User Generated Content. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personally identifiable information you provide to us. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over certain information:
- Email Offers from Us. If you do not wish to receive email offers or newsletters from us, you can opt out of receiving email information from us (other than emails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, change of password and other similar communications essential to your transactions through our Services) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the email.
- Accessing and Correcting Personally Identifiable Information. If a portion of our Services allows you to create an account with us, then you can review and update Your Information by logging into that portion of our Services, visiting your account profile page and making changes or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below. We will respond to
your request within a reasonable timeframe. We will retain Your Information for as long as
your account is active or as needed to provide you services and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
- Online Behavioral Advertising. If you wish to not have third party advertisers collect your information for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here. In addition, certain third-party advertising networks that deliver behavioral advertising are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). You can prevent NAI member companies from collecting preference data about you by clicking here and
following the NAI’s directions. You may also opt-out of Google Adsense’s use of its cookie by visiting Google’s Advertising and Privacy page. Please note that these opt-outs do not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Information You Disclose to Third Parties
the privacy policies and practices of such third parties and, therefore, you should review the privacy policies and practices of such third parties prior to disclosing information to them. If you later decide that you no longer want to receive communications from a third party, you will need to contact that third party directly.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Third Party Widgets and Plug-ins
Operation of our Services in the United States
Our Services are operated in the United States. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that any information you provide to us may be transferred to the United States. By using our Services or providing us with Your Information, you consent to this transfer.
If you have questions or concerns about our privacy practices or wish to make a request regarding Your Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Special Notification for California Residents — Your California Privacy Rights
Individuals who are residents of California and have provided their personally identifiable information to us may request information regarding our disclosures, if any, of their personally identifiable information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be
submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing at:
3801 PGA Blvd. Suite 555
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Attention: Sr. Director, Client Services
California privacy rights requests must include the reference “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of the message and must include the email address or mailing address, as applicable, for us to send our response. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve the right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the address specified above.