Texas has the second-highest number of licensed drivers in the country, nearly 15.9 million, according to the Federal Highway Administration. The 2019 Texas traffic statistics provided by the Texas Department of Transportation estimates:
- 15,843 people sustained serious injuries
- 3,610 people died in traffic accidents
- Motorists racked up just over 286 billion miles
- Drivers reported crashes every 56 seconds
- A driver or passenger died every two hours and 26 minutes
- Traffic injuries occurred at a rate of every two minutes and three seconds
- 660 pedestrians lost their lives
- Just over 51% of fatalities occurred on rural roadways
- 377 fatalities were attributed to distracted driving
- At least one death occurred every day in 2019 on Texas roadways
If you do not have good car insurance coverage in Texas, you are taking a big financial risk. Texas requires minimum levels of liability coverages. If you are at fault for an accident, you are legally responsible for injuries and property damages.
The best car insurance companies in Texas
These auto insurance providers stand out in Texas because of their customer service, average rates and overall customer satisfaction, according to J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study.
|Provider||Average annual full coverage premium||J.D. Power customer satisfaction score|
Allstate agents are located all across Texas. The network of agents provide excellent customer service who can identify your local needs and give you a car insurance quote that best fits your budget and goals. You can also save on your premiums by applying any of the car insurance discounts Allstate offers in Texas. A few of the featured discounts that Allstate offers in Texas include multiple policy and new car.
Geico comes in third in the 2020 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. With Geico, you can easily file a claim online or using its mobile app, which has 4.8 out of 5 star ratings for both Android and Apple versions. It is truly a 21st-century insurance company, allowing most policyholders to do nearly everything they need to do online without having to pick up the phone to call a representative.
Geico provides several ways for its policyholders to save loads of money on their car insurance, including discounts for airbags, anti-theft devices, accident-free drivers, military members and multiple policies.
Nationwide offers various coverage options in Texas so that you can select the coverage that fits your needs, budget and goals. Customers can take advantage of Nationwide’s features such as “On Your Side” claims service, free insurance consultations with a licensed agent, multiple discounts and digital resources to help you manage your policy.
Texas car insurance discounts can help you save by lowering your monthly premiums. Nationwide offers multi-policy, good student, defensive driving, safe driver, anti-theft discounts and more.
Coming in fourth in the 2020 J.D. Power survey, State Farm offers Texans a wide range of standard and optional coverages. With emergency road service coverage, you will not have to worry when your vehicle suffers a breakdown. State Farm’s car rental and travel expense coverage helps pay for a rental car when yours is out of commission following a covered accident.
State Farm’s mobile app comes packed with features, like the ability to file a claim, view your ID card or request roadside assistance And if you open a State Farm bank account, you can use the app to make a deposit, pay bills or transfer funds using your smartphone.
USAA earned the highest score in the J.D. Power study, but it does not qualify for ranking because it only serves active and retired military members and their families. Nonetheless, USAA auto insurance is an exceptional option for those who qualify for coverage.
USAA sells a variety of coverages. Standard options like liability coverage, collision coverage, comprehensive coverage and uninsured motorists coverage can be paired with optional coverages like accident forgiveness or car replacement assistance to create a policy that suits your unique needs.
Average car insurance cost in Texas
Drivers in Texas pay an average of $524 per year for minimum coverage and $1,823 per year for full coverage. The national average premiums for car insurance are $565 per year for minimum coverage and $1,674 per year for full coverage. Texans pay slightly lower than the national annual average for minimum coverage but a bit more annually for full coverage.
|Average annual premium for minimum coverage in Texas||Average annual premium for full coverage in Texas|
Drivers looking for cheap car insurance in Texas may want to consider obtaining quotes from several providers to compare premiums, coverage options, discounts and other factors such as financial strength and customer service scores.
State minimum insurance requirements in Texas
- $30,000 for injuries per person
- $60,000 per accident
- $25,000 for property damage
Texas drivers must also be offered personal injury protection coverage when they request a car insurance quote. If you decide not to purchase this coverage, you must decline it in writing.
Remember, these are the minimum coverage requirements but most insurance professionals recommend that you purchase higher liability limits or even full coverage if you are able to. If you choose to carry only state minimum limits and you get into an accident that exceeds those limits, you will likely have to pay out of pocket for anything over your coverage.
How to get the best car insurance
With the variety of companies, coverage options and discounts, shopping for car insurance might feel overwhelming. There are steps you can take to make the process easier, including:
- Evaluate your needs: Every driver is different, which means everyone’s insurance needs are unique. The first step to finding the best car insurance in Texas is to decide what factors matter most to you. For example, if you have a newer car, you may want to search for a company that offers features like new car replacement and gap coverage, if you have a loan or lease. If you have poor credit, you may want to consider a company that does not use credit scores to help determine your premium. If you like to handle your insurance yourself, a company that has a strong online presence or highly-rated mobile app may be a good fit.
- Consider state factors: Just like every driver is different, so is every state. Texas is no exception. In 2015, just over 14% of drivers in Texas were uninsured, so getting quotes that include uninsured motorists coverage may be a good idea. Additionally, flooding is common across a wide area of the Lone Star state, so drivers may want to consider adding comprehensive coverage to their auto insurance policies.
- Obtain multiple quotes: Getting quotes from several companies is a good way to compare premiums and coverages to see if you are paying the lowest price for the coverage you need.
Licensed agents and customer service representatives are great resources if you find yourself unsure about the insurance buying process. Calling your agent or a representative at your company may help you to decide how much coverage you need or discover discounts you were missing.
Car insurance discounts in Texas
Once you find an insurance policy that fits your coverage needs, you can ask about discount options. Most companies offer discounts to policyholders to help them get the best value for their money. Here are some more car insurance discounts that could be available from a few of Texas’s top auto insurance carriers:
|Automatic payment/paperless billing||X||X|
|Defensive driving course||X||X||X|
|Low annual mileage||X||X|
|Occupational or organizations||X|
|Safe driver/accident free||X||X||X||X||X|
Frequently asked questions
Does Texas require car insurance?
All Texas drivers are required to carry bodily injury coverage of $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident, as well as property damage coverage of $25,000 per accident. Texans must also be offered the opportunity to purchase personal injury protection coverage.
What happens if I get caught driving without car insurance in Texas?
If you get caught driving without car insurance in Texas, you could be fined up to $350 for the first offense. If you are caught a second time, you could face a fine of up to $1,000 and lose your driver’s license for two years.
Is Texas a no-fault car insurance state?
Texas is not considered a no-fault insurance state. If you are involved in an accident caused by someone else, that person is usually responsible for your injuries and damages from the accident.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2018 Honda Accord, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.