Banks nationwide are giving out stacks of free cash. To get your piece of the pie, you’ll need to open a new checking or savings account.
Shopping around for a bank account is never fun. But if you could walk away with an extra $200 or $300, it could be worth your while. With interest rates on the rise, this is a great time to look for banks paying higher yields.
Best savings account bonuses
Chase Bank: $150 or $300 bonus
If you open a savings account in a Chase branch by June 14 (and present a printed email with a code), you can earn $300. You must deposit $25,000 within 10 business days and maintain that balance for 90 days.
If you have at least $10,000 to stick into a savings account, you can earn $150 for maintaining that balance for 90 days. When combined with the $200 Total Checking account bonus, you’ll earn $350 total. This offer expires July 16.
Our review of Chase’s financial health gave the bank four out of five stars. Chase is headquartered in Columbus, Ohi0.
Discover Bank: $150 or $200
If you open a Discover online savings account by June 29, you could earn up to $200. New Discover savings customers who meet certain requirements by July 13 can qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $150 bonus for depositing $15,000.
- $200 bonus for depositing $25,000.
There’s no minimum deposit to open the account, but you must enter an offer code (SAVE518E1) when you apply online. The Discover online savings account pays 1.6 percent APY.
Discover Bank is based in Greenwood, Delaware. In Bankrate’s review of its financial health, the bank earned five out of five stars.
Best checking account offers
Chase Bank: $200 or $300 bonus
Through July 16, you could earn $300 by opening a Premier Plus checking account. Or earn $200 by opening a Total Checking account.
Both promotions require you to visit a branch and present an email with a coupon code. You’re eligible for a bonus if you:
- Don’t have an existing Chase fiduciary or checking account (or closed one with a negative balance or within the last 90 days).
- Deposit $25.
- Have a direct deposit made within 60 days of opening the account.
The bank has branches in 26 states including Georgia and Florida and in the western, southwestern, Midwestern and northern parts of the country. See how Chase’s offers stack up against other checking accounts deals.
SunTrust: $500 bonus
Open a SunTrust checking account online by July 31 and earn up to $500 by:
- Depositing $100 within 14 days.
- Having a $1,000 direct deposit made into a Select Checking account (or a $2,000 direct deposit made into a Signature Advantage account) within 60 days.
- Making 10 debit card purchases within 60 days.
The deal is for new personal checking account holders. Apply online or at a branch and use the promo code (Q218CHECKINGOL).
The offer is valid for residents in the District of Columbia, Maryland and 10 southern states. In Bankrate’s review of SunTrust’s financial health, the bank earned four out of five stars. It’s headquartered in Atlanta.
TD Bank: $150 or $300 bonus
A $300 bonus is available for TD Bank customers who:
- Open a Premier Checking account online.
- Have never had a TD Bank personal checking account.
- Have at least $2,500 worth of direct deposit funds within 60 days of opening the account.
There’s also a $150 cash bonus if you’d prefer a Convenience Checking account.
Bonuses are available to residents in the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania and every state on the east coast except Georgia.
TD Bank is based in Wilmington, Delaware. In Bankrate’s review of TD Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
PNC: $200 or $300
Visit a branch or go online to open a virtual wallet. If you make 10 debit card purchases and receive a direct deposit within 60 days, you could qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $200 bonus for receiving a $2,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Spend.
- $300 bonus for receiving a $5,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Select.
The offers expire June 30. To qualify, you must live in the District of Columbia and one of 19 states, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
PNC is based in Wilmington, Delaware and earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
Citizens Bank: $150 or $250 bonus
By opening a new Platinum checking account at Citizens Bank by June 30, you can earn a $250 bonus. To qualify, you’ll need to have at least $500 put into your account via direct deposit within 60 days.
There’s also a $150 bonus available for customers who open a new One Deposit Checking account online and deposit $500 within 60 days.
Citizens Bank, which is based in Providence Rhode Island, earned four out of five stars in the latest review of its financial health. Its bonuses are only available to residents in Michigan, Ohio, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England.
Fifth Third Bank: $250 bonus
Through June 30, you can earn $250 from Fifth Third Bank. To qualify you must:
- Not be an existing checking or Express Banking customer or closed your account within the past 12 months.
- Open an Essential Checking account.
- Have a $500 deposit made into the account within 45 days.
- Maintain a $500 minimum balance for 60 days.
Fifth Third Bank is based in Cincinnati, Ohio and serves customers in 12 states. In Bankrate’s review of Fifth Third Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
HSBC: $200, $350 or $750 bonus
HSBC has several checking account bonuses available online. Through June 29, earn:
- $200 for opening a Choice Checking account and depositing $1,500.
- $350 for opening an HSBC Advance checking account and depositing $10,000.
- $750 for opening an HSBC Premier checking account and depositing $100,000.
To qualify for a bonus, deposit new money within 30 calendar days and maintain the qualifying balance for 90 days. Don’t want your entire deposit to go into a checking account? You can still earn the bonus if part of it goes into a new savings account (or for the $750 bonus, an eligible investment account).
HSBC is based in McLean, Virginia. It earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
Checking and savings account bonus
Citibank: $400 or $600 bonus
Through June 30, earn $400 by opening a checking and savings account in the Citibank Account Package. To qualify you must:
- Not have owned a Citibank checking or savings account within the past 180 calendar days.
- Deposit $15,000 in new money into a checking or savings account within 30 days and keep at least $1,500 in the checking account (and at least $100 in the savings account).
- Maintain a $15,000 balance in your linked checking and savings account for 60 days.
Citibank also offers a $600 bonus to new customers who open a qualifying checking and savings account in the Citi Priority Account Package, deposit $50,000 within 30 days and maintain that balance for 60 days.
Citibank is based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but bonuses are available nationwide. In Bankrate’s review of Citibank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.