Not even the weather is as hot as some of the deal banks are offering to get you in the door.
Many of them are giving out stacks of free cash. To get your piece of the pie this summer, you’ll need to open a new checking or savings account.
Shopping around for a bank account is never fun. But if you could walk away with an extra $200 or $300, it could be worth your while. With interest rates on the rise, this is a great time to look for banks paying higher yields.
Best savings account bonus
- $150 – $300 Bonus: Chase Bank
Best checking account bonuses
- $200 – $300 Bonus: Chase Bank
- $150 – $300 Bonus: TD Bank
- $50 – $300 Bonus: PNC Bank
- $225 Bonus: Santander Bank
- $200 Bonus: Citibank
- $200 Bonus: KeyBank
- $200 Bonus: Fifth Third Bank
- $200 Bonus: Elements Financial
- $200 Bonus: Regions Bank
- $200 Bonus: Huntington National Bank
- $200-$750 Bonus: HSBC Bank
Best checking and savings account bonus
- $400 – $600: Citibank
Best savings account bonus
Chase Bank: $150, $225 or $300 bonus
If you open a savings account in a Chase branch by Sept. 27 (and present a printed email with a code), you can earn $300. You must deposit $25,000 within 20 business days and maintain that balance for 90 days. Another deal offers $225 to new Chase savings customers who deposit $15,000.
If you have at least $10,000 to stick into a savings account, you can earn $150 for maintaining that balance for 90 days. When combined with the $200 Total Checking account bonus, you’ll earn $350 total. This offer expires Oct. 15.
The downside? Chase’s savings account pays just 0.01 percent APY. Check out the best high-yield savings accounts.
Our review of Chase’s financial health gave the bank four out of five stars. Chase is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio.
Best checking account offers
Chase Bank: $200 or $300 bonus
Through Oct. 15, you could earn $300 by opening a Premier Plus checking account. Or earn $200 by opening a Total Checking account.
Both promotions require you to visit a branch and present an email with a coupon code. You’re eligible for a bonus if you:
- Don’t have an existing Chase fiduciary or checking account (or closed one with a negative balance or within the last 90 days).
- Deposit $25.
- Have a direct deposit made within 60 days of opening the account.
The bank has branches in 26 states including Georgia and Florida and in the western, southwestern, Midwestern and northern parts of the country. See how Chase’s offers stack up against other checking accounts deals.
TD Bank: $150 or $300 bonus
A $300 bonus is available for TD Bank customers who:
- Open a Premier Checking account online.
- Have never had a TD Bank personal checking account.
- Have at least $2,500 worth of direct deposit funds within 60 days of opening the account.
There’s also a $150 cash bonus if you’d prefer a Convenience Checking account.
Bonuses are available to residents in the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania and every state on the east coast except Georgia.
TD Bank is based in Wilmington, Delaware. In Bankrate’s review of TD Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
PNC Bank: $50, $200 or $300 bonus
Visit a branch or go online to open a virtual wallet. If you make 10 debit card purchases and receive a direct deposit within 60 days, you could qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $50 bonus for receiving a $500 direct deposit.
- $200 bonus for receiving a $2,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Spend.
- $300 bonus for receiving a $5,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Select.
The offers expire Sept. 30. The online application is available to consumers nationwide.
PNC is based in Wilmington, Delaware and earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
Santander Bank: $225 bonus
Earn $225 from Santander Bank. The offer expires Sept. 30. You can open a new checking account online or in a branch. To get the bonus, you must:
- Have direct deposits of $1,000 or more made into the account within the first 90 days.
- Keep your account open for 90 days.
The offer is only available to residents in eight Northeastern states, including New York, New Jersey and New Hampshire. If you’re applying online, you’ll need to use a promo code (DIGBONUSJ8S).
Santander Bank is based in Wilmington, Delaware. It earned four out of five stars in the latest review of its financial health.
Citibank: $200 bonus
Through Sept. 30, earn $200 by opening a checking account in the Basic Banking Package. To qualify you must:
- Not have owned a Citibank checking or savings account within the past 180 calendar days.
- Deposit $5,000 in new money into a new checking account within 30 days and maintain that balance for 60 days.Citi is offering a couple of other bonuses to new customers willing to open a checking and savings account.
The bank is based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but bonuses are available nationwide. In Bankrate’s review of Citibank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
KeyBank: $200 bonus
KeyBank is giving new customers an opportunity to earn $200. You’ll need to open a qualifying checking account and use an offer code (ONAS0618). You’ll also need to make a $500 deposit within 60 days.
The bonus is available through Nov. 2 in certain areas: Alaska, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton and Toledo, Ohio, Idaho, Indiana (Central and Northern), Maine, Michigan, Philadelphia, Utah, Vermont and Portland, Oregon. KeyBank, which is based in Cleveland, Ohio, earned five out of five stars in the latest review of its financial health.
Fifth Third Bank: $200 bonus
Through Sept. 30, you can earn $200 from Fifth Third Bank. To qualify you must:
- Not be an existing checking or Express Banking customer or closed your account within the past 12 months.
- Open an Essential Checking account.
- Have a $500 deposit made into the account within 45 days.
- Maintain a $500 minimum balance for 60 days.
Fifth Third Bank is based in Cincinnati, Ohio and serves customers in 12 states. In Bankrate’s review of Fifth Third Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
Elements Financial: $200 bonus
An Indiana-based credit union is offering a $200 bonus to new members who open a high interest checking account and enter a promotional code (CHECK200). To qualify for the bonus you must:
- Join the credit union.
- Set up a recurring direct deposit of at least $500 within 60 days.
If you meet additional requirements, the high interest checking account pays 2 percent APY on balances of up to $20,000. The checking accounts with the best rates available nationwide pay as much as 5 percent APY.
Anyone nationwide can join the Elements Financial by becoming a member of Tru Direction and paying a $5 membership fee. The credit union earned four out of five stars in the latest review of its financial health.
Regions Bank: $200 bonus
If you open a Regions LifeGreen checking account by Sept. 30, you could earn $200. To qualify, you must be a new checking customer and meet the following requirements within 60 days:
- Have a $500 direct deposit made.
- Make 10 purchases with your Regions Visa CheckCard.
To receive the bonus, you can apply online (using promo code 200PD18Q3) or bring a printed voucher to a branch. The bonus is only valid in Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Texas and 10 southern states.
Regions Bank is based in Birmingham, Alabama. In Bankrate’s review of Region’s financial health, the bank earned four out of five stars.
Huntington National Bank: $200 bonus
Through Dec. 31, earn $200 by opening a Huntington 5 Checking account online or in a branch. To qualify you must:
- Be a new Huntington checking customer who hasn’t closed a checking account within the past six months.
- Deposit $1,000 within 60 days of opening your new checking account.
- Present the coupon code you email yourself from the bank’s website (if you’re applying in a branch). Check the promo code (SLSM-J7138S-6XQQO7K).
You’re eligible for the bonus if you live in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia or Wisconsin. You’ll also earn a little interest. The account pays 0.15 percent APY. See how Huntington’s offer stacks up against other checking accounts available nationwide.
HSBC: $200, $350 or $750 bonus
HSBC has several checking account bonuses available online. Through Aug. 31, earn:
- $200 for opening a Choice Checking account and depositing $1,500.
- $350 for opening an HSBC Advance checking account and depositing $10,000.
- $750 for opening an HSBC Premier checking account and depositing $100,000.
To qualify for a bonus, deposit new money within 30 calendar days and maintain the qualifying balance for 90 days. Don’t want your entire deposit to go into a checking account? You can still earn the bonus if part of it goes into a new savings account (or for the $750 bonus, an eligible investment account).
HSBC is based in McLean, Virginia. It earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
Checking and savings account bonus
Citi: $400 or $600 bonus
Customers in the market for a new checking and savings account can open both through Citi and potentially earn a bonus.
- To earn $400, open the accounts in the Citibank Account Package. Deposit $15,000 and maintain that balance for 60 days.
- To earn $600, open the accounts in the Citi Priority Account Package. Deposit $50,000 and maintain that balance for 60 days.
Both offers expire Sept. 30.