Banks nationwide are giving out stacks of free cash. To get your piece of the pie, you’ll need to open a new checking or savings account.
Shopping around for a bank account is never fun. But if you could walk away with an extra $200 or $300, it could be worth your while. With interest rates on the rise, this is a great time to look for banks paying higher yields.
Best savings account bonus
Chase Bank: $150, $200 or $300 bonus
If you open a savings account in a Chase branch by Mar. 3 (and present a printed email with a code), you can earn:
- $200 for depositing $15,000 within 10 business days and maintaining that balance for 90 days. When combined with the $300 Total Checking account bonus, you’ll earn $500.
- $300 for depositing $25,000 within 10 business days and maintaining that balance for 90 days.
If you have at least $10,000 to stick into a savings account, you can earn $150 for maintaining that balance for 90 days. When combined with the $200 Total Checking account bonus, you’ll earn $350 total. This offer expires Apr. 16.
Our review of Chase’s financial health gave the bank four out of five stars. Chase is headquartered in Columbus, Ohi0.
Discover Bank: $150 or $200 bonus
If you open a Discover online savings account by Feb. 28, you could earn up to $200. New Discover savings customers who meet certain requirements by Mar. 14 can qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $150 bonus for depositing $15,000.
- $200 bonus for depositing $25,000.
There’s no minimum deposit to open the account, but you must enter an offer code (SD17) when you apply online. The Discover online savings account pays 1.4 percent APY. Check out the best high-yield savings accounts.
Best checking account offers
TD Bank: $150 or $300 bonus
A $300 bonus is available for TD Bank customers who:
- Open a Premier Checking account online.
- Have never had a TD Bank personal checking account.
- Have at least $2,500 worth of direct deposit funds within 60 days of opening the account.
There’s also a $150 cash bonus if you’d prefer a Convenience Checking account.
Bonuses are available to residents in the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania and every state on the east coast except Georgia.
TD Bank is based in Wilmington, Delaware. In Bankrate’s review of TD Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
Chase Bank: $200 or $300 bonus
Through Apr. 16, you could earn $300 by opening a Premier Plus checking account. Or earn $200 by opening a Total Checking account. There’s also a $300 Total Checking account bonus that expires on Mar. 3.
All three promotions require you to visit a branch and present an email with a coupon code. You’re eligible for a bonus if you:
- Don’t have an existing Chase fiduciary or checking account (or closed one with a negative balance or within the last 90 days).
- Deposit $25.
- Have a direct deposit made within 60 days of opening the account.
The bank has branches in 26 states including Georgia and Florida and in the western, southwestern, Midwestern and northern parts of the country. See how Chase’s offers stack up against other checking accounts deals
SunTrust Bank: $250 or $500 bonus
Open a SunTrust checking account online by Apr. 30 and earn up to $500 by depositing $100 within 14 days and making 10 debit card purchases within 60 days.
Using the promo code (Q118CHECKINGOL), new personal checking account holders may qualify for one of these bonuses:
- $250 bonus for opening a Select Checking account and having a $1,000 direct deposit within 60 days.
- $500 bonus for opening a Signature Advantage account and having a $2,000 direct deposit within 60 days.
The offer is valid for residents in the District of Columbia, Maryland and 10 southern states. In Bankrate’s review of SunTrust’s financial health, the bank earned four out of five stars. It’s headquartered in Atlanta
Fifth Third Bank: $200 bonus
Through Mar. 31, you can earn $200 from Fifth Third Bank. To qualify you must:
- Not be an existing checking or Express Banking customer or closed your account within the past 12 months.
- Open an Essential Checking account.
- Have a $500 deposit made into the account within 45 days.
- Maintain a $500 minimum balance for 60 days.
Fifth Third Bank is based in Cincinnati, Ohio and serves customers in 12 states. In Bankrate’s review of Fifth Third Bank’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars.
Regions Bank: $200 bonus
If you open a Regions LifeGreen checking account by Mar. 30, you could earn $200. To qualify, you must be a new checking customer and meet the following requirements within 60 days:
- Have a $500 direct deposit made.
- Make 10 purchases with your Regions Visa CheckCard.
To receive the bonus, you can apply online (using promo code 200DIG18Q1) or bring a printed voucher to a branch. The bonus is only valid in Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Texas and 10 southern states.
BMO Harris Bank: $200 bonus
Open a BMO Harris Smart Money, Smart Advantage or Premier account and earn $200. The offer expires Mar. 30. You’re eligible if you:
- Don’t have an existing personal BMO Harris checking account (or closed one in the past 12 months).
- Have two $500 direct deposits made within 90 days of opening an account.
- Make 10 debit card purchases with your debit Mastercard within 90 days.
Bonuses are only available to residents in Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In our review of BMO Harris’s financial health, it earned four out of five stars. The bank is based in Chicago.
PNC Bank: $50, $200 or $300 bonus
Visit a branch or go online to open a virtual wallet. If you make 10 debit card purchases and receive a direct deposit within 60 days, you could qualify for one of the following bonuses:
- $50 bonus for receiving a $500 direct deposit.
- $200 bonus for receiving a $2,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Spend.
- $300 bonus for receiving a $5,000 direct deposit and opening a virtual wallet with Performance Select.
The offers expire Mar. 31. To qualify, you must live in the District of Columbia and one of 19 states, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York.
PNC is based in Wilmington, Delaware and earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.
HSBC: $200, $350 or $750 bonus
HSBC has several checking account bonuses available online. Through Mar. 30, earn:
- $200 for opening a Choice Checking account and depositing $1,500.
- $350 for opening an HSBC Advance checking account and depositing $10,000.
- $750 for opening an HSBC Premier checking account and depositing $100,000.
To qualify for a bonus, deposit new money within 30 calendar days and maintain the qualifying balance for 90 days. Don’t want your entire deposit to go into a checking account? You can still earn the bonus if part of it goes into a new savings account (or for the $750 bonus, an eligible investment account).
HSBC is based in McLean, Virginia. It earned four out of five stars in Bankrate’s review of its financial health.