Ethos life insurance review 2022
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . This content is powered by HomeInsurance.com (NPN: 8781838). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
- Offers term and whole life policies
- Simple, fast online purchasing process
- No medical exam required in many cases
- Backed by reputable life insurance companies
- Guaranteed issue whole life policies available for individuals aged 66-85
- Limited policy options
- Few riders available to personalize policies
- Not available in New York
Founded in 2016, Ethos Life Insurance has partnered with top life insurance companies to offer whole life and term policies that can start coverage almost instantly. While its offerings are more limited compared to other life insurance carriers, Ethos has a streamlined application process that forgoes the medical exam typically required by other insurers, making it easy for you to have a policy in effect within minutes by answering a few health questions. While Ethos has nationwide availability, it is not available in New York.
When purchasing the best life insurance for yourself and your loved ones, remember that it is a good idea to collect quotes from more than one insurance company. Each company has its own algorithms that go into determining premiums. The company that gives your neighbor a good price might not be able to offer the same for you based on your circumstances and the amount of coverage you need. Although it’s a fairly young company, Ethos is worth requesting a quote from to see if its no-medical-exam coverage is right for you.
Ethos life insurance coverage types
Ethos offers term and whole life insurance through its life insurance partners, including Legal & General America, TruStage, Americas Life Insurance Corp and AAA Life Insurance Company. Depending on where you live, how old you are and what type of policy you’re purchasing, you could be paired with a different carrier.
When you are purchasing a life insurance policy, there are a few important factors to consider before you make your choice. Term life insurance, as the name suggests, lasts for a certain number of years and offers a simple, inexpensive option for individuals and families with children needing coverage that lasts for a set timeframe. On the other hand, permanent life policies last for the life of the insured as long as premiums are paid. Of the two main types of life insurance, permanent life is typically more expensive than a term policy, but also offers an additional cash value benefit. You can build up a cash reserve in most permanent policies, which you can draw on if you need money. The most popular type of permanent life is whole life insurance.
Ethos offers the following types of insurance:
- Term life: Ethos’ term life insurance policies are available in lengths of 10, 15, 20 and 30 years, with payout options ranging from $20,000 to $1.5 million. Eligibility is open to individuals between the ages of 20 and 65. All term policies feature level premiums and are guaranteed renewable until the age of 95. Ethos offers two types of term life insurance: a simplified issue policy without a medical exam that could be ideal if you have health issues and want coverage instantly, and a fully underwritten term policy which does require a medical questionnaire but may also provide a higher payout of up to $1.5 million.
- Whole life: Ethos’ whole life insurance policies are geared toward older adults aged 66 through 85 who want to leave their loved ones with enough financial support to pay off debts, a funeral and other necessary expenses. Ethos’ policies are also considered guaranteed issue life insurance. Benefit amounts range between $1,000 and $30,000 with guaranteed level premiums, meaning your rate will not increase over the years.
With these policies, accidental deaths are covered immediately. Other death benefits kick in either immediately or within two to three years, depending on your eligibility and state requirements. You can also build cash value in these policies as your equity in the policy grows. Ethos whole life policies are underwritten by AAA Life.
Although some Ethos policies give you the option to include life insurance riders, such as an accelerated death benefit, the company does not offer a broad range of add-ons and there are limited opportunities to gear your policy to meet your specific needs.
Ethos does not offer any additional life insurance products other than term and whole life insurance.
Ethos life insurance customer and claims satisfaction
Ethos Life Insurance reviews are generally positive, as are the reviews of the insurers with whom it partners. Ethos Life Insurance’s reviews with consumer watchdog agencies like AM Best are strong as well all. All of Ethos’ partner insurers have A (Excellent) or A+ (Superior) financial strength with AM Best, indicating that the companies have historically been reliable in paying out claims.
Ethos’ life insurance policies are generated by a handful of highly-rated insurers including Legal & General America, TruStage, CMFG Life, AAA Life and Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. All are experienced underwriters, featuring strong ratings from AM Best and Standard & Poor’s (S&P).
Ethos corporate sustainability
Ethos has created a platform called Ethos for Good, which partners with charities and non-profits like the Rutgers Cancer Institute and Eluna Foundation to provide support and funding for those in need. Through it, Ethos encourages policyholders to donate to these organizations while also providing financial support itself.
Not sure if Ethos is right for you? Consider these alternatives
When looking for life insurance, researching multiple companies can help you understand which may be the best fit for you. If, after reading Bankrate’s Ethos life insurance review, you find that it might not be exactly what you’re looking for, these three companies might be worth a look:
- MassMutual: MassMutual is a top whole life insurer with up to thirteen riders that can be added to personalize your life insurance policy. There’s also a mobile app for convenient policy management.
- State Farm: State Farm was awarded a 2022 Bankrate Award for being the best term life insurance provider. With many life insurance options and riders, it could be the right fit for an individual who wants to build out a policy around their needs.
- Mutual of Omaha: For another life insurance option with strong digital tools, Mutual of Omaha could be worth a look. Like Ethos, the company also offers no-medical exam life insurance options.