First Chicago Insurance Company review
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
- Several discounts available
- Commercial-type policies offered
- Sparse website
- No mobile app
- No home insurance bundling option
Founded in 1920, First Chicago Insurance has been offering coverage for just over 100 years. First Chicago’s product offerings are relatively small, with the carrier focusing mainly on personal auto and a few types of business insurance. Bankrate conducted a First Chicago Insurance review to help you decide if the provider is a good fit for your needs. We also suggest a few alternatives, which could help you choose several companies to request quotes from during your shopping process.
First Chicago car insurance
If you’re shopping for the best car insurance company but want a smaller-company experience, you may have heard of First Chicago. The company isn’t as robust as some of its competitors, but if you’re looking for basic coverage with a local carrier, First Chicago could be a good choice. You may have access to all the basic coverage types you’d expect, including personal liability, comprehensive coverage and collision coverage.
First Chicago Insurance Company writes auto policies in Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin and Texas. However, First Chicago does not write home, renters, condo or other types of property insurance, so it may not be the best choice for those looking for the best auto and home bundles.
First Chicago car insurance cost
The average cost of car insurance in the United States is $1,655 per year for full coverage and $480 per year for minimum coverage. The price you pay with First Chicago will typically vary based on the types and amounts of coverage you choose, your driving history, the type of car you own and other personal rating factors. The best way to know what price you’ll pay is to get a quote directly from First Chicago.
First Chicago car insurance discounts
Like most insurance companies, First Chicago offers a handful of discounts that could help you lower your auto premium. Depending on eligibility, you may be able to apply the following discounts to your policy, among others:
Because First Chicago sells coverage in three states, discount availability may vary. Talk with a First Chicago agent to learn which car insurance discounts are available to you.
First Chicago car services
Auto insurance is the only kind of personal insurance that First Chicago offers, but the company does have a few other products. If you own a business, you could look into First Chicago for your commercial auto coverage or your general liability coverage.
Other First Chicago perks worth considering
First Chicago is a relatively small insurance carrier, so there aren’t many services offered in addition to the products already mentioned. While the carrier’s website is basic, there is an online claim reporting tool, and you can also get ID cards and policy documents through the online portal. In some states, health insurance policies — like personal accident and major medical coverage — may be available.
Not sure if First Chicago is right for you? Consider these alternatives
If you’re shopping for coverage, getting quotes from a few different carriers can be helpful. These alternatives to First Chicago might fit your needs:
- Auto-Owners: If the small size of First Chicago appeals to you, you might want to get a quote from Auto-Owners. The carrier is larger — it sells coverage in 26 states — but sells its products through independent agents, which can give you that more personal feeling.
- State Farm: On the other hand, if First Chicago’s small size isn’t for you, you could get a quote from State Farm. It’s the largest car insurance company in the country by market share. Additionally, State Farm offers plenty of other products, including home insurance and banking products.
- Progressive: If First Chicago’s list of discounts appeals to you, Progressive might also be a good choice for car insurance. The carrier offers plenty of ways to save, including quotes for shopping and buying online, owning a home and going paperless.