Clearcover Review 2022
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate, we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. To help readers understand how insurance affects their finances, we have licensed insurance professionals on staff who have spent a combined 47 years in the auto, home and life insurance industries. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation of . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
Clearcover Insurance is an AI-powered, tech-forward company that aims to sell car insurance at affordable prices. The Chicago-based company was founded only in 2016 but has been making waves with its focus on affordability, hassle-free policy management and seamless claims processing. Clearcover currently operates in 20 states, and its policies are underwritten by Clearcover Insurance Company. In California, policies are underwritten by Response Indemnity Company of California, which is a subsidiary of the highly-rated company Fortegra. Clearcover is targeted at modern customers seeking to combine pocket-friendly rates with technological convenience. Bankrate’s Clearcover Insurance review analyzes the company’s unique offerings to help you decide if you should get a quote.
Clearcover car insurance
If you’re on the hunt for the best car insurance and you value a technology-drive experience, Clearcover could be a good option. While the company did earn a perfect 5.0 Bankrate Score, it is worth noting that the company’s official ranking in our scoring methodology is affected by limited data. Clearcover is not ranked by J.D. Power, nor are average rates available from Quadrant Information Services. However, Clearcover’s high mobile app score and A+ (Superior) AM Best financial strength rating earned it a top place in our scoring model. You may want to keep in mind that Clearcover does have a higher-than-average complaint index with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), though, which could indicate low levels of customer satisfaction.
Clearcover is currently available in 20 states and it will soon be available in two more. The company’s selling point is smarter, faster and cheaper car insurance at your fingertips, regardless of your needs. Because Clearcover depends on technology to do most of the work, it spends less on staffing, marketing and physical infrastructure, thereby being able to provide more affordable and efficient insurance. You can buy all the standard car insurance options you’d expect, and you may also have the chance to add some helpful options, like ridesharing coverage, roadside assistance and car rental coverage.
Clearcover car insurance cost
|National average annual full coverage premium|
|Clean driving history||$1,771|
|Speeding ticket conviction||$2,138|
|Adding a 16-year-old driver||$3,852|
Clearcover car insurance discounts
The only discount specified is the one offered to military personnel. The discount for active military members and their children (if under the age of 25) is 25% in Louisiana and 15% in all other states.
Clearcover car services
Other Clearcover perks worth considering
- Mobile app: Clearcover’s mobile app is the heart of its operations. Although you can do almost everything in the app (and 24/7 service is available there), you can also chat with Clearcover or call 855-444-1875 between 8 AM and 9 PM Monday through Friday and 8 AM to 6:30 PM Saturday and Sunday.
- A financial blog: Clearcover has a helpful blog page on its website, which includes articles about vehicle maintenance, car insurance and overall financial health.
- Home insurance: Although Clearcover only sells car insurance, it partners with Hippo Insurance to offer homeowners insurance. Bear in mind that Hippo is a completely independent company, and if you purchase home insurance from this provider, all issues related to policy management, claims and customer service will be handled by Hippo, not Clearcover. At present, there is no true Clearcover home insurance.
Clearcover corporate sustainability
Clearcover acknowledges that it is a bit of an underdog in the insurance world. In fact, the company passes on its support to what it calls “Inspired Underdogs,” collegiate athletes whose stories are those of persistence and overcoming obstacles. The athletes are supported with a $10,000 scholarship.
Additionally, Clearcover’s culture is one of growth. The company lists three core values on its site — people, perspective and performance — and explains how it supports each. Employees always keep the customer at the forefront of projects, pushing into new and unique ways of thinking about problems.
Not sure if Clearcover is right for you? Consider these alternatives
Clearcover may be a great car insurance carrier for some drivers, but if you aren’t quite sure it’s right for you, here are some alternatives:
- Root: Instead of just giving you a discount for joining a telematics program, like many companies do, Root takes things to the next level and bases all of its rates on your actual driving.
- Metromile: Metromile is a usage-based car insurance company that rates policies based on the number of miles you drive. It could be especially appealing if you don’t drive often, as that could mean lower rates.
- Lemonade: If you’re looking for an auto and home insurance company with a focus on digital tools, Lemonade might be a good fit. Lemonade also offers pet, life and renters insurance, and is a Certified B-Corporation with a strong giveback program.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2022 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2020 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the ages 18-60 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Age is not a contributing rating factor in Hawaii and Massachusetts.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket and single at-fault accident.
Bankrate Scores primarily reflect a weighted rank of industry-standard ratings for financial strength and customer experience in addition to analysis of quoted annual premiums from Quadrant Information Services, spanning all 50 states and Washington, D.C. We know it is important for drivers and homeowners to be confident their financial protection covers the likeliest risks, is priced competitively and is provided by a financially-sound company with a history of positive customer support.
To determine how well the best car and home insurance companies satisfy these priorities, third-party agency ratings from J.D. Power, AM Best, S&P, NAIC, and Moody’s had the most impact on the companies’ Bankrate Scores. As price is a common consideration for drivers and homeowners, we analyzed quoted premiums based on 40-year-old male and female drivers with a 2019 Toyota Camry, as well as 40-year-old male and female homeowners with $250,000 in dwelling coverage. This profile, assessed across nearly 35,000 ZIP codes in the U.S., provided a basis on which drivers and homeowners may compare each provider.
While coverage options, insurer availability, affordability and customer experience are often the top priorities, Bankrate also analyzed each insurer’s online and mobile resources for policy management and claims handling. Insurance is rapidly evolving to keep pace with our digital world, so these aspects also carried weight in determining Bankrate Scores.