Safety Insurance Review
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate, we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. To help readers understand how insurance affects their finances, we have licensed insurance professionals on staff who have spent a combined 47 years in the auto, home and life insurance industries. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation of . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
- Average premiums for auto and home insurance may be significantly cheaper than the national average
- Safety Mobile allows policyholders to monitor their policy online, report a claim and pay bills through their mobile phone
- Only available in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine
- Discount opportunities are more limited compared to other regional carriers
Safety Insurance operates under two key principles—customer service and safety. Founded in 1979, the company is one of the leading auto and home insurance carriers in the New England region. Safety Insurance company has received local and national recognition for its insurance technology, financial strength and company performance.
As a regional carrier, Safety Insurance is only available in three states: Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. While the standard coverage for car and home insurance will be the same, the optional endorsements and discount opportunities will differ depending on which state you live in. Additionally, if you were to move to another state within Safety’s coverage area, it is possible that your coverage for these add-on policy options may change.
Safety car insurance
Safety car insurance could be a good fit for drivers who want the convenience of having a pre-built car insurance package. A big draw to Safety car insurance is its Safety Shield package, which includes additional coverage options like emergency towing, roadside assistance and more. The package options differ slightly depending on the state. In Massachusetts, drivers also purchased an expanded Safety Shield Plus to include accident forgiveness, expanded personal effects coverage, pet coverage, seat belt coverage and bail bonds coverage. Each package also comes with its own cost, so it might be helpful to request an auto insurance quote to see how much the additional coverage options might be.
To determine Safety Insurance’s Bankrate score and auto insurance ratings, we scored Safety based on a number of categories, including its policy offerings and auto insurance discounts, as well as financial strength, claims service, and customer service reviews from third-party ranking agencies. The higher a company scored in each of these categories, the higher its overall Bankrate Score.
Safety car insurance cost
Safety car insurance is significantly more affordable than the national average. Drivers with a clean driving record typically pay an average of $377 per year for minimum coverage and $827 per year for full coverage. This is less than half of the national average cost of car insurance, which is $1,674 per year for full coverage. Your auto insurance quote with Safety may vary from these rates for a number of factors, including your location, type of vehicle you drive and number of drivers on your policy.
|Full coverage annual rates||National full coverage annual rates|
|Clean driving history||$827||$1,674|
|Speeding ticket conviction||$1,351||$2,062|
|Adding a 16-year-old driver*||$1,720||$2,531|
*16-year-old rates reflect the added cost to their parents’ full coverage car insurance policy.
Safety car insurance discounts
One of the ways to save money on car insurance is by taking advantage of the Safety discounts you qualify for. The amount of each auto insurance discounts may be different depending on the state, but they include:
Safety car services
Safety Insurance drivers who live in Massachusetts can use its VIP Claims Center to repair their vehicle as part of the claims process. Drivers have the convenience of dropping off their vehicle and choose to have a rental car waiting for them while their car is brought to the shop. The center also has a VIP appraisal program that makes it possible for cars to be appraised on the spot without an appointment by Safety’s licensed appraisers
Safety home insurance
Safety home insurance offers affordable and reliable coverage for single family homes. The company offers standard coverage and has several endorsements available for added protection. This includes four packages with pre-selected endorsements: Safety Select, Safety Supreme, Supreme Plus and Safety Complete package. Each one comes with its own features and increased limits, but shared coverage options include replacement cost, sewer/water backup and increased liability amounts.
Safety home insurance cost
On average, a home insurance from Safety with $250,000 in dwelling coverage is $1,151 per year. This is lower than the national average cost of homeowners insurance, which is $1,312 per year for the same dwelling coverage.
|Dwelling coverage limit||Average annual premium||National average annual premium|
Safety home insurance discounts
Similar to its auto insurance, Safety’s discount selections and amounts could vary from state to state. Some key discount opportunities include:
Safety does not provide any additional services to homeowners insurance policyholders.
Other Safety Insurance perks worth considering
Home and auto insurance aren’t the only insurance products Safety offers. The company also sells:
- Personal umbrella insurance: Individuals who want to extend the liability on their auto and homeowners policy can do so with an umbrella policy.
- Mobile app: Safety Insurance now has a mobile app for iPhone and Android users that can be used to help manage their policy and payments conveniently through their phone.
- Commercial auto: If you have a vehicle that you use for business, such as a private passenger vehicle owned by your business, a commercial auto insurance policy may be more suitable to cover your needs and risk.
- Business owners insurance: This type of insurance from Safety is intended for small and medium-sized businesses, such as apartments and condominiums, stores, restaurants, and more.
Safety Insurance corporate sustainability
Safety Insurance has two programs to support local communities. Safety’s Charitable Foundation, established in 2005, provides donations to local organizations, both schools and charities, to support a variety of causes such as education, arts and culture, food banks and more. Some past beneficiaries have included Project Bread, The Boston Foundation and the Alzheimer’s Association.
Safety’s Employee Gift Matching program supports employee donations by matching contributions made to the charity of their choice. Some programs that Safety employees have contributed to include the Museum of Science, Greater Boston Food Bank and the Roxbury Latin School.
Not sure if Safety Insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- The Hanover: The Hanover also provides the convenience of insurance packages for all different needs, with some especially tailored for high-value homes and autos.
- Vermont Mutual: Vermont Mutual could be an option for those who want to work with a regional carrier similar to Safety Insurance.
- State Farm: As one of the nation’s largest carriers by market share, State Farm offers a variety of insurance policies, including home and auto insurance, to help build out your insurance plan.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the age 16 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Hawaii and Massachusetts rates indicate age is not a contributing factor.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket and a single DUI conviction.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.