Founded in 1902, the American Automobile Association, commonly known as AAA, now serves drivers and homeowners nationwide with its popular home and auto insurance policies. Throughout its history, AAA has worked tirelessly to improve safety on the roads, producing driver textbooks and advocating for pedestrian protection.
Today, AAA also offers a unique membership program that gives members access to convenient services, special offers and discounts for everything from travel to home maintenance and dining. If you are in the market for coverage, read our AAA insurance review to learn why it could be worth getting a AAA insurance quote for your home and auto coverage.
|Although AAA is a national carrier, the company has separate groups for different U.S. regions for tailored coverage options||Average premiums for AAA home and auto insurance may be higher than the national average|
|Local offices may offer other services, such as DMV transactions, notary services and travel planning||Many of AAA’s best perks are only accessible by AAA members|
AAA is made up of a few separate companies, with each one servicing a different region or group of states. This includes the Auto Club of Southern California Group, CSAA Insurance Group and the Automobile Club Group. While operating under the AAA brand, these individual companies may be rated separately by third party agencies. For example, each company received varying scores from the National Association Of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and J.D. Power, both of which surveyed customer satisfaction. Additionally, customers may find different policy options and discounts, as well as services, depending on state availability.
AAA car insurance | Bankrate Score: 3.8
AAA earned a Bankrate Score of 3.8 out of 5. To determine this score, our insurance editorial team analyzed AAA based on third-party ratings, average premium data from Quadrant Information Services, as well as coverage options and discounts. In J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, some of AAA’s branches scored better than others. Its Auto Club of Southern California group scored third-best, while its CSAA Insurance Group and Automobile Club Group scored near the bottom percentile. This indicates that many customers were not satisfied with the claims service they received from AAA.
AAA car insurance offers all the standard coverage and limits that would meet state minimum requirements. This includes bodily injury and property damage liability, along with add-ons like comprehensive and collision, gap insurance, and even new car added protection to insure the vehicle. To build the best car insurance policy, drivers can also include an accidental death benefits coverage to pay for related expenses for a fatal collision if they do not have a life insurance policy in place.
AAA car insurance cost
On average, a full coverage car insurance policy with AAA costs $2,389 per year, according to our research. This is nearly 35% higher than the national average cost of car insurance, which is $1,771 per year. The average cost of minimum coverage with AAA is $641 per year, which is more than 17% higher than the national average of $545 per year. While the difference between these rates may seem high, keep in mind that car insurance is an individualized product. A number of different car insurance rating factors, such as your location, the type of vehicle you drive, your driving record and your annual mileage, may be used by insurance carriers during the quoting process to determine your personalized rates.
|AAA average annual full coverage premium||National average annual full coverage premium|
|Clean driving history||$2,389||$1,771|
|Speeding ticket conviction||$2,912||$2,138|
|Adding a 16-year-old driver*||$5,028||$3,852|
*16-year-old rates reflect the total cost to insure the teen, both parents and one vehicle
AAA car insurance discounts
Taking advantage of discounts can be an advantageous way to lower your car insurance premium. While AAA offers many common discounts found at other companies, the discount availability and savings percentage may vary by state. AAA car insurance discounts include:
- AAA OnBoard discount: If you live in certain areas and are eligible to enroll in the AAA OnBoard, a driving behavior tracking program, you may be able to receive a discount on your insurance premium depending on the way your vehicle is driven.
- Good student discount: High school or full-time college students (up to a certain age) who have earned a 3.0 GPA or above in recent semesters may be eligible to take advantage of this discount and lower the cost of their policy.
- AAA membership savings: If you are also an AAA Member, this discount could be added to your policy.
AAA car services
For full access to all of AAA’s services, policyholders will also need to purchase an AAA membership. Among the more well-known services offered with this membership, such as roadside assistance, AAA members can also receive mobile battery replacement service, a free car seat inspection, discounted rates for electric vehicle charging and even bicycle assistance. One of the most convenient features of the membership is access to AAA’s DMV Services, which allows members the convenience of visiting a participating AAA office instead of your state’s motor vehicle department for certain types of transactions.
AAA home insurance | Bankrate Score 3.6
AAA’s homeowners insurance earned a 3.6 out of 5 for its Bankrate Score. As with Bankrate’s analysis of AAA’s car insurance, our insurance editorial analyzed the same criteria, including policy options, third party ratings, average premium data and more related to AAA’s home insurance for policy options.
All three branches of AAA performed above average in J.D. Power’s 2021 U.S. Home Insurance Study, which indicates that customers were generally satisfied with AAA’s service in terms of interaction, policy choices, premium cost, payment processes and claims. However, AAA’s groups received more complaints than expected for companies of a similar size in the National Association Of Insurance Commissioners’ (NAIC) Complaint Index.
With AAA home insurance, policyholders can adjust limits for standard coverage, like dwelling and other structures, personal property, liability and more. It’s also possible to obtain additional personal property coverage for high-value items, like jewelry and furs. More unique coverage options may be available depending on your location, so it may be best to contact a local AAA agent to learn more and build the best homeowners insurance policy for your home.
AAA home insurance cost
Compared to the national average cost of homeowners insurance, AAA’s average rates tend to trend lower. A homeowners policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage costs an average of $1,046 per year from AAA, while the national average is $1,383 per year.
As with auto insurance, homeowners insurance rates are also highly dependent on individual rating factors. This could include the square footage of your home, its location, the age of the home and more.
|Dwelling coverage limit||AAA average annual premium||National average annual premium|
AAA home insurance discounts
Discounts may help maximize your savings on homeowners insurance. Some of AAA’s discount opportunities for home insurance include:
- Companion auto: This discount could be added to your homeowners policy if you also have your car insurance with AAA.
- Mature policyholder discount: Homeowners above a certain age can be eligible for this discount.
- AAA membership savings: If you have an active AAA membership, this discount could be included in your homeowners insurance.
AAA home services
AAA home insurance policyholders have the option to participate in AAA Smart Home. This service helps homeowners choose, customize and install a home security system. Homeowners can opt into two tiers of service, the Basic Monitoring and Smart Monitoring, with AAA Members receiving a further discount on this monthly service.
AAA life insurance
AAA life insurance is offered in three product types: term life, whole life and universal life. All three policies can be managed with the help of AAA life insurance agents and AAA members may be eligible for an additional discount. Finding the best life insurance will depend on your budget and goals for the policy, and you can also consider purchasing more than one policy to fit your needs.
AAA’s term life policy may be a great consideration for those on a budget. While not a permanent life insurance, the term life policy offers affordable average premiums and coverage of up to $5 million or more. For permanent options, whole life and universal life may be better options. With AAA’s whole life insurance, policyholders can choose the death benefit amount and contribute to the policy’s cash value that can be borrowed against. AAA’s universal life offers even more flexibility, allowing for premium and death benefit adjustments in the future.
AAA life insurance endorsements
While AAA does not provide specifics regarding what endorsements can be added to each of its life insurance products, there are some options in terms of death benefit payments. All three are typically paid out as a single lump sum payment, but it may be possible to choose other payout terms to your beneficiaries.
AAA life services
AAA does not indicate whether it offers other services to life insurance policyholders.
Other AAA perks worth considering
In addition to home, auto and life insurance, AAA also offers many other products and services. These include:
- Travel: AAA Travel helps AAA members plan and book travel and accommodations, and even offers travel insurance, discounted amusement park tickets and international driver’s permits.
- Identity theft and monitoring: AAA offers three different plans to help with identity theft monitoring and alerts. The Basic level is free for AAA members, while the Protect and Complete plans are available at a discounted rate.
- Renters insurance: Renters insurance is geared toward those who are renting their residence rather than owning, and provides protection for personal belongings, loss of use and personal liability.
AAA social responsibility
AAA’s efforts toward social responsibility are primarily focused on making the roads safer for everyone. For children, this includes AAA’s free car seat inspections, but also its AAA School Safety Patrol, which is a program that schools can join to receive free training materials and equipment. When it comes to employee social responsibility, AAA team members are allowed to take paid time off to volunteer with nonprofits in their local communities, and their donations to eligible organizations can also be matched by the company.
Not sure if AAA is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- Allstate: In addition to home and auto insurance, Allstate offers a wide range of investing products beyond life insurance to help customers invest for their future.
- Farmers Insurance: Farmers offers a long list of unique coverage and discount opportunities for policyholders who want more personalized policies.
- Geico: Geico’s average auto insurance rates are some of the cheapest in the nation, which could be an advantage for drivers on a budget.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2022 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2020 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the ages 18-60 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Age is not a contributing rating factor in Hawaii and Massachusetts.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket and single at-fault accident.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000, $750,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000, $75,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.