Formerly known as Maryland Auto Insurance Fund, Maryland Auto Insurance was created by the state of Maryland to keep the state’s drivers on the road legally. They offer a transitional solution to uninsured drivers in Maryland and will not turn anyone away, especially those who have a poor credit history, are high-risk drivers and have been denied coverage from other providers.
To help you decide if they are the right provider for you, we have broken down all the details about the types of insurance it offers, available discounts to help you save and how it differs from other providers in the area.
Maryland Auto Insurance
Maryland Auto Insurance provides a broad range of coverages and discounts to meet most driver’s unique needs.
Types of Coverage
The company’s standard car insurance policies cover the minimum amount of insurance required by Maryland law, including:
- Liability: The minimum amount of liability coverage required by Maryland Law is $30,000 for bodily injury per person, $60,000 for bodily injury per accident and $15,000 for property damage per accident.
- Uninsured motorist: The minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage required by Maryland law is $30,000 for bodily injury per person, $60,000 for bodily injury per accident and $15,000 for property damage.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Maryland law requires insurers to offer their policyholders at least $2,500 in PIP coverage.
The provider will not deny coverage to anyone, as long as they:
- Are a Maryland resident
- Own an automobile registered in Maryland OR have a valid Maryland driver’s license
- Have been canceled or not renewed by a standard insurer for a reason other than non-payment of premium OR have been refused insurance by two (2) standard insurers
- Do not owe Maryland Auto any unpaid premium.
It also offers additional coverage options like:
- Rental Car
Cost of Maryland Auto Insurance Car Insurance
Maryland Auto Insurance determines premiums based on risk level, vehicle type, driving experience, location, amount of coverage needs and several other factors. Consumers can request a personalized quote on their website.
One thing that differentiates this insurance provider from others is that they do not factor in credit history when determining the premium, which can help those with bad credit save money.
On average, Maryland drivers can expect to pay the following depending on their insurance coverage selections:
|Minimum Coverage||Full Coverage|
Because this provider is a transitional option designed for drivers who can’t get insurance elsewhere, there are few discounts available. However, they do offer some ways to save money on an auto policy.
Reasons Why Maryland Auto Insurance is a Great Option
Maryland Auto Insurance is a great provider for those seeking coverage after being denied elsewhere, especially those with bad credit or no credit history.
The company also provides great coverage options for high-risk drivers, including Uber and Lyft drivers, towing and rental cars. However, due to their commitment to covering higher-risk individuals, the cost for coverage can be a bit higher than other providers in the region. Be sure to shop around to determine whether or not Maryland Auto Insurance is the best auto insurance provider for your needs.
Due to Maryland Auto Insurance being a nonstandard transitional provider, all applicants must prove at least two other standard insurers have denied them to qualify, so keep that in mind before requesting a quote.
Maryland Auto Insurance Ratings, Reviews, Customer Satisfaction & Complaints
Because Maryland Auto Insurance is not a standard insurance carrier, information about their financial strength and customer satisfaction is pretty limited. However, there are a few resources customers can refer to when determining the company’s customer satisfaction:
- Better Business Bureau: The company currently is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), nor does it have a BBB rating. However, some interesting insights can be gained from customer complaints. Namely, the company appears to be slow to respond to claims requests, especially when handling claims for people who have been involved in an accident with one of their clients.
- Google: According to their Google My Business listing, the company has 165 reviews and a 2.3-star rating. Again, most of the complaints are from drivers not insured by Maryland Auto Insurance who have been involved in accidents with one of their insured drivers.
Additional Policies Offered by Maryland Auto Insurance
In addition to regular auto insurance, Maryland Auto Insurance offers policies for Uber and Lyft drivers, motorcyclists and scooters and other low-speed vehicles. It does not offer coverage options for homeowners, renters, life insurance or any other type of insurance product besides motorized vehicles.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best auto insurance company?
The best auto insurance company is different for everyone and is largely based on personal preference. It’s a good idea to shop around and compare rates from different carriers, then speak with a licensed insurance professional.
What do I need to get a quote from Maryland Auto Insurance?
Receiving a personalized quote from Maryland Auto Insurance is simple. First, you’ll need to be prepared to prove that you are a Maryland resident, possess a Maryland driver’s license and have at least two previous denials from other carriers. Then you can request a quote online.
How do I file a claim with Maryland Auto Insurance?
Maryland Auto Insurance offers 24/7 claims assistance through their online portal and via telephone. Customers can visit their claims reporting service online to file their claim or dial 800-492-7120 to get assistance.