Launched in 2015, Haven Life is an insurance company that offers medically underwritten life insurance coverage online. Haven Life, which is headquartered in New York, offers its products and services in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
In this Haven Life Insurance review, we examine coverages, discounts and customer satisfaction ratings to help you decide whether this provider might be a good fit for your life insurance needs.
Haven Life insurance
Haven Life offers term life insurance that is issued by MassMutual — its parent company. Provided there is no lapse in premium payments, you will be provided insurance that guarantees your loved ones a financial payout upon your death.
Haven Life offers two types of term life insurance policies:
- Haven Term: this particular term insurance policy generally requires applicants to get a medical exam before coverage is approved.
- Haven Term Simplified: this term life insurance policy does not require a medical exam before coverage is approved, and offers between $25,000 and $500,000 for a payout. The max term for applicants between the ages of 18 and 49 is 30 years, and the max term for applicants aged 50 to 65 is 20 years.
Types of coverage
Coverage depends on the type of Haven Life insurance policy you choose:
- Haven Term: This policy offers U.S. citizens between ages 18 and 64 up to $3 million in life insurance, with a 10 to 30 year term, depending on age.
- Haven Term Simplified: Offers U.S. citizens aged 18 to 64 between $25,000–$500,000 in life insurance with a 10 to 30 year term, depending on age.
Haven Life also offers policyholders a variety of riders and benefits:
- Haven Life Plus: This rider offers policyholders additional benefits and services, such as an online, customized will and a free subscription to a fitness app. (Haven Life Plus is not available in Florida, New York, North Dakota, South Dakota and Washington.)
- Accelerated Death Benefit: As a Policyholder, if you become terminally ill, you can access a portion of their benefits early.
- Waiver of premium: As a policyholder, if you become totally disabled as a result of an illness or injury, you do not have to pay for premiums while you are disabled. (Waiver of premium is available in California, Delaware, Florida, North Dakota, New York, South Dakota, and the District of Columbia.)
Haven Life does not offer discounts on its term life insurance policies; however, the Haven Life Plus rider allows policyholders access to discounted products and services from various partners.
Haven Life ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
MassMutual, the parent company of Haven Life, received 3 stars for overall customer satisfaction in a study done by J.D. Power. On a 1,000 point scale, the company received a score of 751. This score is considered to be about average when compared to other life insurance companies. For Haven Life policyholders, the expectation for customer experience and satisfaction will likely reflect the ratings received by MassMutual.
Reasons why Haven Life is a great option
Haven Life is a great decision for anyone who is looking for convenient, affordable life insurance.
The online application is designed to be user-friendly, making it a simple and quick process. You can get a quote prior to applying, but if you choose to move forward and complete the application process, you will be required to answer a series of questions regarding your age, lifestyle, health and medical history.
Depending on the coverage and other variables unique to your situation, Haven Life policies can be purchased for less than $20/month. Since this process is done online, InstantTerm makes it possible for you to be immediately insured if you are eligible for coverage and are prepared to pay the premium.
Additionally, the option to secure life insurance without a medical exam is something that could be appealing for people who want to quickly be insured, or those who may find it difficult to qualify based on health conditions.
Additional policies offered by Haven Life
As Haven Life only offers term life insurance, the only options available to customers are Haven Term and Haven Term Simplified.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best life insurance company?
Our choices for best life insurance companies are MetLife Inc., New York Life Insurance Group, Northwestern Mutual, Prudential Financial Inc., and State Farm. However, this is highly dependent on your unique insurance needs and life circumstances. Finding the best life insurance company for you will require comparing rates and coverage by providers.
Is an exam required to be approved for life insurance with Haven Life?
When applying for Haven Term, Haven Life will use the information provided in your application to determine if an exam is required. You will receive temporary coverage until the medical exam is completed and Haven Life approves you for full coverage, denies your application, or you cancel your application.
Will my rate change at all during my term?
Haven Life guarantees that rates will not change for policyholders throughout the duration of their terms.
Does Haven Life offer whole life insurance?
Haven Life only offers term life insurance at this time.
How can I apply for Haven Life term life insurance?
The application for term life insurance from Haven Life is only available online, so applicants do not have the option to mail, fax, or email an application.