For more than 100 years, First Chicago Insurance Company has offered auto insurance policies to drivers throughout the central United States. Founded in 1920 as the Chicago Ice Producers Mutual Liability Company, the company was converted from a mutual governance to a stock company in 2006 and became a subsidiary of J&P Holdings, Inc. With a long history in the auto insurance industry, this company offers plenty of products to accommodate drivers’ coverage needs.
First Chicago car insurance
Primarily a car insurance provider, First Chicago Insurance Company features policies for both personal and commercial driving use. The provider boasts low rates and friendly service — both of which are further bolstered by their broad range of available discounts.
Types of coverage
First Chicago Insurance Company offers the following personal auto insurance coverages:
- Liability Coverage: Through this coverage, drivers will have protection for bodily injury and property damage caused to others if they are involved in an accident.
- Medical Payments: This coverage pays for medical expenses incurred by the policyholder and any passengers as a result of an auto accident. Coverage also applies if you are injured by a vehicle as a pedestrian.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: First Chicago Insurance Company currently offers three types of coverage for uninsured motorists. With the Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury coverage, customers receive coverage for injuries to themselves or their passengers if they are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. Underinsured Motorists Bodily Injury provides coverage for injuries if the other party does not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay for the damages that they cause to you. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage offers coverage for damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver.
- Collision Coverage: This coverage option applies to damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another car or object. Collision coverage is only available if the driver has also selected Comprehensive Coverage as part of their policy.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This option provides coverage for losses not related to collision, such as theft, flood, fire or acts of nature. Comprehensive coverage is sometimes called “other than collision” coverage.
To help make policies more affordable for drivers, First Chicago Insurance Company provides the following discounts:
- Advance Quote: Existing policyholders that choose to receive a quote in advance of their renewal date will receive a discount if they move their coverage to First Chicago Insurance Company.
- Anti-Theft: Drivers that have qualifying anti-theft systems installed in their vehicles may be eligible for a discount.
- Defensive Driver: Policyholders that have taken a qualifying defensive driving course may provide evidence of passing the course to receive a defensive driving discount.
- Driving Record: Safe drivers (those without any reported accidents or traffic violations within the past five years) will be rewarded with a discount.
- Good Student: High school and college students that consistently perform well in school can provide their report card to receive a good student discount on their policies.
- Homeowners: While First Chicago Insurance Company does not offer homeowners insurance, they provide a discount to customers who hold homeowners insurance policies elsewhere.
- Multi-Car: By insuring more than one vehicle through First Chicago Insurance Company, customers can receive a discount on their premium.
- Paid in Full: If you elect to pay for your policy in full, you may pay less than if you pay your premium monthly.
- Renewal: Simply by being a loyal customer and renewing your policy at the end of your coverage term, First Chicago Insurance Company will apply a discount.
- Prior Insurance: Drivers that have had prior insurance coverage may receive a discount based on how long they were covered under the previous provider and if they met the basic requirements for coverage in their state.
Reasons why First Chicago is a good option
Drivers living in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin and Texas are eligible to receive coverage through First Chicago Insurance Company. With more than 100 years of experience in the industry, this provider is a reliable source for coverage, offering both basic and robust coverage solutions to drivers.
Since First Chicago Insurance Company only covers specific states, drivers living outside their service area are not eligible for coverage. Additionally, despite a long history in the insurance industry, First Chicago Insurance Company holds a below-average financial strength rating through AM Best. A lower financial strength rating could indicate that the company may be more vulnerable to financial struggles, which could impact their ability to cover claims for their customers.
First Chicago ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction & complaints
First Chicago Insurance Company has a below-average financial strength rating from AM Best, currently set at B- (fair). While this is an improvement from their previous C++ (marginal) rating in past years, it is below what is considered ideal for an insurer.
Despite more than 100 years of service, First Chicago Insurance Company does not currently hold a J.D. Power customer satisfaction rating. However, the company is accredited through the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and features an A+ rating.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) maintains ratings of customer service with 1.0 representing a baseline. A score above 1.0 indicates a greater than average number of complaints, while a number below 1.0 indicates a below average number of complaints. The company complaint index for First Chicago Insurance Company is 4.82.
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
Additional policies offered by First Chicago
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Health Insurance
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from First Chicago?
Those seeking coverage through First Chicago Insurance Company may request a free quote either by filling out the online quote tool or by calling 1-888-262-8864. When requesting a quote online, customers will need to provide their ZIP code, first name, age, gender, marital status, prior violation and accident information and vehicle information.
How do I file a claim with First Chicago?
First Chicago Insurance Company provides a 24-hour direct claim reporting service line where customers can submit a claim. The number for the hotline is 1-888-262-8864. Alternatively, customers can submit an auto accident form online.