Since 1955, Aflac has offered a number of supplemental insurance policies, including life insurance. Although its life insurance offerings are somewhat limited compared to other carriers, Aflac receives a lower amount of consumer complaints for individual life insurance policies and offers a mobile app for easy policy management, which may make this carrier a standout for some consumers.
- Date established: 1955
- Insurance products offered: Supplemental insurance, including term life and whole life options
- AM Best financial strength rating: A+ (Superior)
- NAIC complaint index: .78
- Availability: Varies depending on product
Aflac may be known for the famous duck, but Bankrate’s Aflac insurance review reveals it also has a strong reputation for quick claim payout and offering numerous supplemental insurance policies. Aflac offers a unique blend of policies available through employers or policies that can be purchased directly for individual or family coverage.
If you do decide to purchase directly from Aflac, you will only be able to work through an agent since none of the life insurance quote process occurs online. You may also find the website frustrating, since many details of the life insurance purchase process and policies are not included. However, Aflac’s highly-rated mobile app can help you with your policy management.
|Pays out cash quickly for covered claims||No online quote system; you must request for someone to contact you|
|Available through the workplace or directly to individuals||Limited whole and term life insurance options|
|An online and mobile app claims center for faster claims processing and policy management||Lack of key details online regarding life insurance policies|
|Widely available, although specific riders and policies may not be available in some states|
|Limited number of registered customer complaints|
Aflac life insurance coverage types
Aflac life insurance offers two types of life insurance policies: term and whole life. Depending on your location, there are endorsements, or riders, available to add to a policy for greater Aflac life insurance benefits. For example, a guaranteed issue rider is available (in select states) for up to $50,000 in life insurance without a need for a medical exam or medical questions.
Life insurance policies through Aflac are also considered portable, which means you can take it with you when you change jobs or retire if you purchased the policy through work. Aflac also offers a life insurance calculator online, so you can receive an estimate of how much life insurance would be ideal for you and your beneficiaries, based on your current debts, projected age of retirement and other factors.
- Term: Term life insurance is a policy guaranteeing a payout to your beneficiaries if your death occurs within a specified term. Aflac offers term life policies in 10-, 20- and 30-year terms. The maximum payout amount depends on if the policy was purchased through the workplace or as an individual. Riders such as Accelerated death payment, waiver of premium benefit and accidental death may also be available as riders. With a term life policy from Aflac, your premiums remain the same throughout the life of the policy.
- Permanent: Aflac offers a whole life option, which provides coverage for your entire life instead of a specified term, as long as premiums are paid. The whole life policy also builds a cash value, which you may be able to borrow against if needed. The accelerated death payment, waiver of premium benefit and accidental-death riders are also available for these policies. Premiums will also stay the same over the years, unless you decide to increase or decrease your policy’s cash value. The whole life policy also offers a juvenile life option for purchase. This rider guarantees your child will be insurable when they become adults and are ready to purchase their own life insurance policies.
Aflac life insurance customer and claims satisfaction
As reported by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), Aflac indexes under the national baseline index of 1.0 for company complaints. Afleac’s complaint index of .78 for individual life means the insurer has received fewer registered complaints on average. Aflac also earns an A+ (Superior) rating through AM Best, which illustrates the company’s historical ability to pay out claims.
Other insurance products
Aflac offers a variety of supplemental insurance products, in addition to term and whole life insurance policies. Some policies are available through the workplace only, such as short-term disability insurance, hospital and vision plans. However, several policies are also available for individuals and families, including accident, cancer, critical illness, pet and dental insurance. Critical illness insurance is a unique product offering where individuals or families receive supplemental medical coverage for critical illnesses such as heart attacks. The insurance helps cover medical expenses that most medical insurance leaves off, like copays and deductible payments.
Because of the large number of insurance offerings, you will see policies underwritten in a few different ways with Aflac. Individual policies are underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus or the Tier One Insurance Company. If you live in New York and purchase an individual policy, the coverage is underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of New York. Continental American Insurance Company (CAIC) is the Aflac subsidiary that underwrites group policies.