Formerly known as GMAC Insurance, the National General Insurance Company is one of the largest automobile insurers in the United States with more than 100 years of experience. National General’s insurance provides all of the standard coverages for your car, home and more. Depending on what you insure through the company, there are also optional coverages available and plenty of discounts that could apply to your policy.
Because National General started within the automotive industry, its deep roots in car insurance help set it apart from competitors in terms of experience. If you are in the market for insurance and are curious about National General’s car insurance or other policies, it may help to consider its main coverages offered and how the company stacks up in terms of ratings and reviews.
National General car insurance
True to its automotive origins, National General provides a variety of coverages for your vehicle. To help make your auto insurance more affordable, National General auto insurance also offers several discounts.
- Collision coverage pays for repairs to your vehicle in an accident
- Comprehensive coverage applies to other types of vehicle damages or vehicle theft
- Liability insurance protects you against legal proceedings or any damage or injuries you cause to others in a collision
- Roadside assistance provides financial assistance if your vehicle breaks down on the road, like towing fees.
- Accidental death and dismemberment covers death or loss of limbs that occur due to an accident.
- Collector or classic car insurance covers your higher-value classic cars.
- Safe driver: Drivers in eligible states who have completed a defensive driving course may qualify for this discount.
- Low mileage: The less you drive the vehicle, the lower your premium could be by using an electronic mileage tracking device.
- Paid-in-full: Drivers may earn a reduction for paying their car insurance in full.
- Multi-vehicle: Insuring more than one vehicle through National General could help you save on premiums for all cars.
- Affinity: The company you work for may have negotiated special insurance rates with National General.
- Multi-policy: Bundling car and home or renters insurance may simplify managing your policies and could earn you a discount.
- Anti-theft: If you have a car alarm or other anti-theft device installed in your car, you could qualify for a discount.
- Auto-pay: You could reduce your monthly premiums by choosing to have them draft from your bank account each month.
- RV and auto: Motorhomes and RVs are other types of vehicles you can bundle with auto insurance for a potential discount.
National General home insurance
National General home insurance provides coverage from standard policies to optional home coverages. Its standard home policy helps keep your home and belongings safe from fire, hail damage and theft. However, many homeowners add additional coverages, including these options from National General:
- Guaranteed and extended replacement replaces your home in a total loss even if the cost has risen.
- Green upgrade coverage offers additional funds, up to $50,000, if you choose to use green and sustainable materials to repair your home damage.
- Additional coverage for belongings increases coverage limits for expensive items such as jewelry and furs.
- Identity theft reimbursement helps cover the cost of restoring your identity after it has been stolen.
- Age of home: Newer homes may receive a discount in homeowners coverage.
- Auto companion: You could have a car policy separately with National General, but still receive a discount.
- Home/auto account: Homeowners may bundle their home and car insurance to maximize savings.
- Claim free: Safe drivers are rewarded with lower premiums.
- Gated community: Because it is perceived as safer, living behind security gates could save you on coverage.
- Home buyer: New homeowners may get savings on a National General insurance policy.
- Homeowners association: Living in a community with an HOA could help you save.
- Insurance to value: If your home’s value increases, your insurance may adjust to the current pricing.
- Protective devices: Cameras, alarms, smoke detectors and security systems could lower your risk of being burglarized and your insurance premiums.
- Superior construction: If your home is upgraded with higher-quality systems and materials, you could speak to an agent about a superior construction discount.
National General ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
National General’s insurance generally falls below average in ratings and customer satisfaction. In the 2020 J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Study, National General ranked last with a score of 815 out of 1,000 points. The factors ranked include overall customer satisfaction and responses from customers who had claims settled by National General within at least six months before the survey.
Similarly, National General ranked last in the 2020 J.D. Power Home Insurance Study, with a score of 748 out of 1,000 points. J.D. Power rankings are an overall index based upon weight responses to various survey factors. The rankings for National General indicate that competitors may be offering a wider variety of policy offerings at a better price and with more satisfactory claims processes.
Although the J.D. Power rankings were below average, National General is able to offer great financial stability for customers. The company holds an AM Best rating of A+ (Superior). This rating shows a stable financial outlook and the ability to pay for National General insurance claims.
|Company||AM Best Rating||J.D. Power auto insurance score||J.D. Power home insurance score|
|National General||A+ (Superior)||815/1,000||748/1,000|
Top reasons to consider National General
National General insurance may be worth considering for those looking for auto insurance and home insurance individually or through a bundle package. National General also offers additional policies for RVs, motorcycles, small business vehicle insurance and health insurance, which could be useful for anyone who wants to house all of their insurance policies under a single provider.
National General has solid roots within the auto insurance industry. However, customers may want to keep in mind the company’s below-average customer satisfaction ratings. Because National General is not a widely-known household name for insurance, it may lack the specialization that consumers are looking for, such as offering the lowest-cost coverage or the most comprehensive options.
Nevertheless, the National General company is a reputable insurance company for your auto, home and property needs. It has one of the largest market shares for both auto and home insurance. Customers who choose to insure their property with National General have a variety of options for discounts and add-ons, enabling a personalized experience.
Additional policies offered by National General
In addition to home and car policies, National General provides policies including:
- RV: Coverage for recreational vehicles and motor homes.
- Motorcycle: Available for ATVs, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles and cruisers.
- Small business vehicle: Policies available for cars purchased by your business.
- Health insurance: Short-term medical insurance, dental and supplemental coverage are all available.
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a National General Insurance quote?
To get a National General insurance quote, you can fill out an online form or call the quote line. You will likely be asked to provide information about your vehicle, any other drivers on the policy and information on the value of your home to get a quote.
How do I file a National General Insurance claim?
Filing a claim is relatively easy using the National General website or by calling the claims line at 1-800-468-3466.
How long does it take to process National General insurance claims?
Your claim processing time will vary based on the situation and the information provided. You could prepare much of the required information ahead of time, including your policy number and details regarding the accident and damage.
Does my home insurance cover all of my belongings?
Depending on which coverages and add-ons you have as part of your homeowners insurance, your items will be covered up to a certain dollar amount as long as the incident was a covered peril.
What is the best auto insurance company?
The best auto insurance company varies for each individual. To find the best car insurance for you, evaluate your needs and circumstances before shopping around. Many people keep in mind several factors when choosing an insurer, including their budgets, driving and claims records, credit score and whether additional members will be added to the policy.
What is the best home insurance company?
It can get overwhelming searching for the best home insurance company. However, it is important to consider your individual needs when shopping around. Additionally, you could research each home insurance company’s customer satisfaction, financial strength and other third-party ratings to identify which offer above-average insurance services.