Bottom line: Bankrate’s National General Insurance review found that the company should be sufficient for most people’s needs. However, the company does not offer life insurance and it does not have many third-party ratings to validate customer satisfaction or claim satisfaction.
|Lifetime guarantee on auto repairs||Does not sell life insurance|
|Online policy management features||Few third-party ratings|
|Several insurance products offered|
|Lots of discounts|
National General, which was formerly known as GMAC Insurance, was founded in 1920. The company sells more than a dozen different insurance products, including auto, home, renters, motorcycle, RV and flood insurance. National General has no eligibility requirements and you can purchase a policy in all 50 states and Washington D.C.
National General stands out in a few areas. First, the company promotes that it has affordable rates. It also offers some unique perks like guaranteed auto repairs at one of the company’s Gold Medal Repair Shops if your car is damaged in an accident. National General also offers SR-22 filings for drivers who are required to have one.
National General car insurance | Bankrate Score: Unrated
If you are in the process of narrowing down the best auto insurance for you, National General car insurance may be a good option. In addition to standard minimum coverage and full coverage policies, National General also offers a few add-ons for more protection, like roadside assistance, accidental death and dismemberment coverage and an auto protection plan. In addition, National General will permanently guarantee your car’s repairs after an accident if you take your car to one of the company’s Gold Medal Repair Shops.
National General car insurance discounts
- Low mileage: Drivers can save money for driving infrequently when they use a telematics monitoring device provided by National General.
- Affinity group member: National General provides special discounts for members of certain affinity groups and organizations. You will need to contact an agent to find out what groups have partnerships with National General.
- RV and auto bundle: When you bundle a car insurance and RV insurance policy from National General, you could save up to 20% on your premium.
National General car services
In addition to traditional car insurance and classic car insurance, National General customers have the option to enroll in the National General Motor Club. Members get access to perks like low-cost 24/7 roadside assistance, towing to the nearest repair center with no mileage or dollar limits, up to $750 in emergency expense reimbursement, online trip planning services and more.
National General home insurance | Bankrate Score: 4.5
National General’s standout product is its home insurance offering. We gave National General home insurance a Bankrate Score of 4.5 out of 5 points, due to its excellent endorsements and discounts. Its high Bankrate Score may make it a contender for the best home insurance company for some homeowners. For example, you can add extended or guaranteed replacement cost coverage, personal property coverage for items outside your home and green upgrade coverage, which provides up to $50,000 to rebuild your house with sustainable materials after a loss.
National General home insurance discount
There are a number of home insurance discounts available through National General, including:
- Age of home: If your home is newly built, you can potentially save money on your policy. However, National General does not disclose what home ages qualify for a discount.
- Gated community: National General may lower your homeowners insurance premium if your insured home is located in a gated community.
- Homeowners association: If you belong to a homeowner’s association for your neighborhood or community, you might be able to get a discount through National General.
- College education: You could qualify for a discount if you are the primary policyholder and you have a college degree.
National General home services
National General does not provide any home services that are available to customers. However, the company does offer insurance tracking and lender-placed insurance (LPI) for mortgage providers.
Other National General perks worth considering
National General sells many different types of insurance, which makes it a good option for customers who want to bundle their policies for potential savings or house all their insurance needs under one insurer.
Here are some of the other policies you can purchase through National General:
- Renters insurance: Renters insurance through National General is available with several discounts and add-on coverages.
- Flood insurance: National General sells flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- RV insurance: National General is one of the top insurance companies for RV insurance, with several perks like free inspections after repairs, permanent attachment coverage and search assistance if you need to replace your totaled RV after an accident.
National General social responsibility
On its website, National General does not include much information about its social responsibility or charitable partnerships. However, the company did participate in the Millions to Feed campaign for Feeding America, which aimed to provide 10 million meals to families in need. The company also committed to a minimum contribution of $500,000 to Feeding America.
In addition, National General mentions on its website that it recently pledged $3 million to support a handful of charities in the communities it serves, including organizations that provide COVID-19 relief and support.
Not sure if National General is right for you? Consider these alternatives
It’s important to compare multiple companies before purchasing a policy. Here are a few other insurance providers you might want to consider in addition to National General when doing your research:
- Direct Auto: Direct Auto is a highly rated insurance company with a variety of policies available, including no-medical exam life insurance. It also offers a car insurance discount of up to 25% for military personnel.
- Bristol West: Compared to National General, Bristol West has more limited policies, but it can be a good option for high-risk drivers that don’t qualify for standard coverage. It also has an excellent mobile app for on-the-go policy management and ID cards.
- The General: The General is a popular car insurance carrier for high-risk drivers who may have a poor credit score or need an SR-22. The company offers several insurance policies, including life insurance through American Family Insurance.