If you have ever heard of American Independent Insurance, then you may know that the company now operates under the name of Good2Go as of recent years. Good2Go specializes in offering low auto insurance rates with low down payment options. If you are looking for a budget-friendly, full-service carrier, then Good2Go may be another option worth comparing.
In addition to auto insurance, the carrier provides options for motorcycle insurance, homeowners and renters policies, among others.
American Independent car insurance
Good2Go offers basic coverage options for auto insurance. It also specializes in providing coverage for drivers usually considered high-risk who might not be able to secure coverage with other carriers. Examples of this include teen or elderly drivers, drivers with multiple traffic violations and those with poor credit.
Prior to 2016, the company was known as American Independent car insurance. However, American Independent Companies, Inc. consolidated all insurance brands under one umbrella and changed the name to Good2Go. Good2Go now includes all insurance products, including auto, homeowners, renters and others under one name. The Good2Go insurance company then began focusing on providing affordable options for customers who need multiple payment options and high-risk drivers.
Types of coverage from Good2Go
Good2Go offers the standard auto insurance coverages and a few options, including:
- Liability: This provides financial protection and coverage to others if you are involved in an at-fault accident and cause injuries or property damage.
- Medical payments: This option provides coverage for medical expenses as a result of injuries from a covered accident. Medical payments are paid out for both you and your passengers, regardless of who is at fault.
- Collision: Collision coverage offers payment towards expenses related to repair or replacement of your vehicle as a result of a covered accident. This coverage will likely be required if you lease or finance your vehicle.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive coverage goes toward repair or replacement expenses for your vehicle due to damage from something other than a collision. Examples include animal damage, vandalism or theft. This coverage will also likely be required if you lease or finance your vehicle.
- Car rental reimbursement: This optional coverage would reimburse you for expenses incurred from renting a vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired or replaced due to a covered accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: This coverage, which is optional in some states and required in others, provides financial protection if you are in a not at fault accident with another driver who does not carry insurance or have adequate amounts.
- Towing and labor costs: If you find your vehicle needs towing following a covered accident or other incident where your vehicle is rendered inoperable, this coverage could help cover expenses.
Cost of American Independent car insurance
The average annual premium for minimum coverage with American Independent is $1,175, based on data retrieved from Quadrant Information Services. A full coverage policy is $3,458 per year, which includes comprehensive and collision coverage. This is well above the national annual average of $1,674 for a full coverage policy, but your exact rates depend on numerous factors.
The rates quoted below were pulled under the American Independent name and may be different now that the company is operating under the Good2Go name. It is best to work with a licensed agent and use your personalized data for a quote to obtain the most accurate rates.
|Average annual premium for minimum coverage||Average annual premium for full coverage|
Discounts from Good2Go
Good2Go offers a wide range of discounts to help drivers save even more on their premiums. Some of the many discounts available include:
- Good driver: This includes a potential discount for drivers without any at-fault accidents as well as those who sign up for the Cell Phone Safety option through Good2Go.
- Good student: Drivers between the ages of 16 and 25 could save up to 20% by maintaining a B average or higher.
- Multi-vehicle: You get savings of up to 25% for adding multiple vehicles to the same policy, as long as it is under a single policyholder’s name and the vehicle is being used.
- Homeowners: If you own a condo or single-family home, you could be eligible for savings up to 10% on your auto insurance premiums.
- Paid-in-full: This discount may be available to drivers who pay the annual premiums in one lump sum versus spreading out in multiple monthly payments.
- Renewal: For customers who are loyal to the carrier and renew a policy before the renewal period comes around it could add further savings to premiums.
- Defensive driving: If you complete an approved defensive driving course, it could result in savings of up to 15%.
- Safety equipment: If your vehicle is equipped with enhanced safety equipment, such as side air bags, the equipment could lead to a reduction in how much you pay for the medical option.
Good2Go ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Good2Go does not currently have any J.D. Power customer satisfaction ratings. It also does not have Standard & Poor’s (S&P) or AM Best financial strength ratings. Good2Go has received seven formal complaints, as reported in the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) complaint index rating. This gives Good2Go a complaint index of 50.56, which is significantly above the national baseline of 1.0.
Reasons Good2Go is a good option
American Independent insurance, which now operates as Good2Go, offers a few advantages versus other carriers. It offers a large number of discounts for drivers, which could help lower premium rates further. Additionally, the company offers multiple payment options, including a low down payment option. Good2Go also extends coverage to some high-risk drivers, which may allow someone to obtain coverage they would otherwise not qualify for. However, the company does have a significantly higher than average complaint index, which may cause drivers seeking a smooth customer service experience to look elsewhere for coverage.
Frequently asked questions
Are American Independent and Good2Go Insurance the same?
The Good2Go auto insurance brand umbrella used to be known as American Independent insurance. In 2016, the company consolidated its insurance brands under one name, which is now operating as Good2Go.
How do I file a claim with Good2Go?
If you have been involved in an auto accident or there is damage to your vehicle that you need to file a claim for, you must call the customer service number to begin the process. Currently, there is not an option to file the claim through a mobile app or online.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a cleaning driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.