21st Century Insurance, a member of Farmers Insurance Companies, is a small insurance operation serving the drivers of California. The company only offers car insurance, and most business is done online or over the phone. As part of the Farmers Insurance Group, policyholders have access to 24/7 claims service backed by the award-winning Farmers Claim Services. If you’re considering this provider, you may find it helpful to review the perks and drawbacks outlined in this 21st Century Insurance review.
|Financial strength rating of A (Excellent) from AM Best||Mobile app has low ratings from Google Play and the App Store|
|Free roadside assistance||Only available in California|
|Several unique discounts available||
Higher-than-average complaint index score with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
21st Century Insurance only writes policies in California. As a result, the company might be able to uniquely offer coverage and service that takes into account the considerations of California residents, like local weather hazards that could affect drivers and their vehicles. For budget-conscious drivers, the company indicates that switching to 21st Century car insurance from your existing provider could save you around $378.
21st Century car insurance
21st Century only writes car insurance policies in California, so it may be a good choice for Golden State drivers looking to get personalized service with a smaller, local provider. Although 21st Century is unrated by Standard & Poor’s (S&P) and AM Best, the Farmers Insurance Group gets relatively high financial strength scores, which may help you feel confident in the company’s historical ability to pay out claims. That said, 21st Century received more complaints than average for the industry, according to the NAIC, and its mobile app is rated poorly on the App Store and Google Play.
21st Century offers the following standard auto insurance coverage types: liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, collision and comprehensive. It also offers antique auto insurance, auto mechanical breakdown insurance, motorcycle and ATV insurance, boaters insurance and personal watercraft insurance.
21st Century car insurance discounts
21st Century Insurance offers several unique discounts for auto insurance savings, especially for a regional provider, and customers are allowed to stack as many discounts as they are eligible to receive. The company’s car insurance discounts include a few that may be particularly easy to qualify for:
- Superior driver: If you’ve maintained a clean driving record for four years or more, you could save between 10% and 20% on your car insurance.
- Anti-theft: If your vehicle is equipped with updated systems to deter theft, you may be able to save around 15%.
- Mature driver: Drivers aged 55 and older could save around 2% on their car insurance by completing a state-recognized defensive driving course.
21st Century car services
21st Century automatically enrolls its customers in its roadside assistance program for free. If you’re stranded on a roadway, all you have to do is call (800) 439-5587, and 21st may send help, including towing, lock-out services and other roadside services.
21st Century home insurance
21st Century does not offer home insurance. However, those who hold an auto policy with 21st Century may qualify for a 10% discount by purchasing homeowners insurance from Farmers. This is because 21st Century is a member of Farmers Insurance Companies. Farmers writes home policies in 41 states. Home coverage with Farmers is not available in these states:
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
The company offers standard home coverage options along with standout coverage types such as content replacement coverage, additional living expense coverage for expenses incurred if you are displaced during the course of repairs and eco-rebuild coverage, which allows you to receive up to $25,000 towards the extra cost of green appliances and building materials.
Other 21st Century perks worth considering
21st Century Insurance offers certain perks that may be of interest to drivers looking for insurance in California.
- Mobile app: Although its reviews are not especially favorable, 21st Century Insurance does have a mobile app, which may be attractive to policyholders who prefer to handle their policy digitally. Not all regional insurers offer a mobile app, which makes this a nice perk for 21st Century policyholders.
- Free roadside assistance: Another feature not always offered by other insurers, 21st Century automatically signs up policyholders for roadside assistance, free of charge.
- Digital articles: The company’s website features how-to and informational articles to help readers navigate auto insurance to make informed decisions about coverage and policy limits.
21st Century social responsibility
During the pandemic, Farmers and 21st Century Insurance announced that they would extend relief to customers by offering a 15% reduction in auto premiums for May 2020. 21st Century doesn’t advertise any other community outreach programs. However, Farmers made a substantial financial contribution in 2021, donating $564,090 to employees, donating $5,302,275 to charities, and funding two disaster search dogs.
Not sure if 21st Century Insurance is right for you? Consider these alternatives
21st Century Insurance isn’t for everyone. If your needs don’t align with 21st Century, this list of car insurance providers may help you find the right carrier for you:
- State Farm: State Farm was determined one of the best home insurance companies in the 2022 Bankrate Awards based on its national availability, high customer satisfaction scores and excellent financial strength ratings. If you’re looking for multiple product lines, State Farm is also considered the best life company for term life, according to the 2022 Bankrate Awards.
- Geico: Geico was determined one of the best auto insurance companies in the 2022 Bankrate Awards since it offers coverage to high-risk drivers, provides dozens of discounts and scores highly for customer satisfaction with J.D. Power.
- Wawanesa: If you live in California and are looking for a highly-rated provider, you may want to consider Wawanesa; this insurer received the highest rating for California in J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Auto Insurance Study.