USAA Insurance is known for its service to the military community and their families. Whether you’re active or former military, an eligible family member, a cadet or midshipman, USAA is available to serve you and your insurance needs. USAA reviews are generally excellent, indicating a company that cares about its products.
If you are a member of the military community, USAA should be your first stop when you are searching for insurance. The company consistently ranks at the top of lists created by consumer watchdog organizations like J.D. Power and Consumer Reports.
USAA also offers a vibrant online community for its members, which offers help and support, financial advice and a great place to find out what’s happening with others in the military world. The online community currently has more than 60,000 members and is growing daily.
USAA car insurance
Customers save an average of $707 when they switch to USAA auto insurance. But that’s not the only reason to consider switching. The company also offers coverage tailored for those who are on active duty or have military concerns.
- Vehicle protection: Protect your car with comprehensive coverage and collision coverage, which covers damage from rollover or accident.
- Finance protection: Liability coverage protects you financially if you are the cause of the accident and includes bodily injury and property damage.
- Passenger protection: These may be mandatory or optional add-ons, depending on your state requirements and your priorities. This protection includes personal injury protection, extended benefits coverage and uninsured/underinsured coverage.
- Other protection: Your USAA insurance quote can also include roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and accident forgiveness.
- Defensive driving course discounts: If you take a certified defensive driving course, you may qualify for a discount.
- Safe driver: If you maintain a good driving record for more than five years.
- Driver training: For those under the age of 21 who complete a basic driver training course.
- New vehicle: If your car is less than three years old.
- Multi-vehicle: A discount if you insure more than one car with the company.
- Vehicle storage: Save up to 60% if you store your car while you’re on duty.
- Military installation discount: Save up to 15% if you garage your vehicle on base.
- Good student: For those still in school who maintain good grades.
- Loyalty discounts: If you remain with USAA insurance for a certain length of time, you can receive a discount.
- Multi-policy discounts: Talk to USAA insurance customer service about combining your auto policy with another policy for potential discounts.
- Accident-free discounts: If you’re a safe driver with an accident-free record, your USAA insurance policy may be discounted.
USAA home insurance
Your USAA homeowners policy focuses on two areas: liability, which is your legal responsibility when someone is hurt on your property, and dwelling coverage, or hazard coverage, which would pay to repair your home in the event of a named peril. You may also have coverage for medical costs, as well as optional coverage that you may choose when customizing your policy, such as flood insurance.
- Fire: This would include damage from smoke, which is common after a fire, and lightning damage.
- Theft: Includes someone breaking into your house, or stealing items from your garage or property, such as bikes or sports equipment.
- Vandalism: If your home is purposely defaced or destroyed in any way by another person or persons then this coverage will protect you.
- Most weather-related events: This includes damage from wind storms, snow, hail and freezing weather, but not flooding, which requires a separate policy. If you are in an area that sees hurricanes, your policy would cover you from damage caused by hurricane winds but not the subsequent flooding, unless you had additional coverage
- Liability: This covers you against lawsuits brought by someone who was injured on your property. It may help pay medical bills, also, as well as lost wages, death benefits and more, depending on your policy. Note that it includes dog bites, and you may see an increase in your premium if you own a dog breed that is thought to be aggressive, such as a pit bull.
- Identity theft coverage: This type of coverage is becoming increasingly common as the incidents of hackers highjacking individuals’ identities increases. This may cover legal costs or other costs related to rebuilding your credit and reestablishing your financial stability.
- Loyalty discounts: As with auto insurance, if you remain with USAA insurance for a certain number of years, you can receive a discount.
- Protective device: If you have burglar or other alarm systems installed by USAA-partner ADT Home Security Systems, you can earn a discount.
- Claims-free: If you make no claims for five or more years, earn up to 10% off your premium.
- Multi-policy discounts: Talk to USAA insurance customer service about combining your home policy with another policy, like auto insurance, for potential discounts.
USAA renters insurance
Renters insurance is similar to homeowners insurance in some ways, but you don’t need dwelling insurance — your landlord will have a policy that protects the structure of the building from named perils. Your policy will protect you from lawsuits and guard against loss of personal belongings in a disaster.
- Liability: Covers costs if someone is injured while in your apartment. This coverage protects your assets from lawsuits, up to the limit of coverage.
- Personal items: Tthis covers everything from your furniture to your clothing to the curtains on your windows. USAA estimates that an average two-bedroom apartment needs $20,000 in personal belongings coverage.
- Multi policy: Bundle your renters insurance and save money on your premium.
- Claims-free: If you make no claim on your policy for five or more years.
- Protective device: For smoke alarms and monitored security systems.
USAA ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Although J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction Study does not include USAA as part of its main listing because it is limited to military families, it gives the company a score of 900, which would put it in first place if it were on the list. To summarize it simply, they were rated a 5 out of 5 on all areas, except one – estimation process, where the company received a 4 out of 5.
- Overall Satisfaction: 5 out of 5
- First Notice of Loss: 5 out of 5
- Estimation Process: 4 out of 5
- Repair Process: 5 out of 5
- Rental Experience: 5 out of 5
- Claims Servicing: 5 out of 5
- Settlement: 5 out of 5
USAA insurance reviews were also good at Consumer Reports’ listing of Best Car Insurance Companies, and it’s in second place for Best Homeowners Insurance Companies. All this points toward a solid, professional staff that is able to handle customer needs quickly and accurately.
The Better Business Bureau rated USAA Insurance a B-, with 435 customers rating it an approximate average of 1.25 out of 5 stars. Many of the customer reviews come from loyal customers who had complaints about USAA insurance customer service when they needed it most. So, while J.D. Power rated USAA insurance claims servicing a 5 out of 5, customers have stated differently, though this is not unusual with insurance providers.
Reasons why USAA is a great option
USAA is definitely not an insurance for everyone, especially since the company specifically serves only military, its families and the military community. However, for those who fit the target audience, it can be a great option for home and auto insurance, as well as the other policies offered by USAA.
For those who are technology-savvy, USAA insurance is a great option thanks to their mobile app that makes it simple to file a claim quickly, pay bills with ease and more. If you plan to have multiple policies, especially auto and home insurance, you may be eligible for a USAA insurance discount for bundling policies. And if you choose USAA insurance and stick with the company for years, the loyalty discount could really save you money in the long run.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), the national average rate for auto insurance is $1,004.58, and your USAA insurance quote could be even less. Like auto insurance, a insurance quote for home insurance will vary greatly, depending on the coverage you want. The average homeowners insurance quote according to the III will cost you $1,211, but factors such as your credit score, history of accidents and tickets, age, and more will affect your actual premium cost.
Additional policies offered by USAA
In addition to home and auto insurance, USAA also offers insurance policies for the following:
- Rental property insurance
- Valuable personal property insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Life insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Motorcycle, RV and boat insurance
- Small business insurance
Frequently asked questions
How do I file USAA Insurance claims?
You can file USAA Insurance claims online through their claims portal.
Who is eligible for USAA?
To get a quote from USAA, you’ll need to qualify – USAA only provides service to current and honorably discharged U.S. military members and their eligible family members. You may also apply for a policy if you are a cadet or midshipman at a U.S. service academy, participating in advanced ROTC or on an ROTC scholarship, or an officer candidate within 24 months of commissioning.