In business for more than 50 years, Mercury Insurance strives to offer the lowest premiums when compared to national providers. Mercury offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance and business insurance. Check out our 2019 review of Mercury Insurance’s car and home insurance offerings.
Mercury car insurance coverage options and discounts
Mercury Insurance offers a variety of coverage options beyond just your standard minimum coverage. Some of their additional coverage options include:
- Collision Protection: covers damage to your vehicle incurred as a result of a covered loss, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive Coverage: covers damage to your vehicle incurred as a result of a covered loss, including damage caused by vandalism and animals.
- Liability Protection: covers injury and damage when you’re at fault, including costs of an attorney.
- Medical Payments Coverage: an optional coverage to pay for medical expenses as a result of a covered accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: an optional coverage to pay for medical costs as a result of a covered accident, regardless of fault.
- Rental Car: helps cover the cost of a rental car after a covered loss.
- Ride-Hailing Insurance: depending on the state you live in, covers you when you have your ride sharing app on, but have not yet accepted a customer.
- Roadside Assistance: covers towing, flat tire change, battery jump start, emergency fuel and fluid delivery and locksmith services.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: covers bodily injury as a result of a covered accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
In addition to their comprehensive list of coverage options, Mercury Insurance has a list of discounts available to maximize your savings:
- Anti-Theft Feature Discount
- Auto Pay Discount
- E-Signature Discount
- Good Driver Discount
- Good Student Discount
- Multi-Car Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Occupational Discount
- Pay in Full Discount
Each of these discounts varies in size, but they will all save you money on your insurance policy. A local Mercury agent can help you determine which discounts you may qualify for, or you can fill out a quote form online and receive your discounts automatically.
Mercury home insurance coverage and discounts
Mercury Insurance offers an extensive list of homeowners insurance coverage options. With their list of additional coverage options, a home is sure to be fully covered in the event of natural disasters or theft/burglary:
- Dwelling Protection
- Personal Property
- Extended Replacement Cost
- Additional Living Expenses
- Personal Liability Protection
- Guest Medical Protection
- Identity Theft Protection
- Additional personal property coverage
To help save you money on your homeowners insurance premiums, Mercury Insurance offers a selection of discounts:
- AUTO + HOME Discount, for policies that include either home, condo or renters insurance plus auto insurance
- Protective Devices Discount, like smoke alarms, deadbolts, burglar alarms, etc.
- Fire-Resistant Construction Materials
- Newer Home
- Gated Community
Selecting a higher deductible also results in a decreased premium.
Mercury ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Mercury is an established company that makes common rankings with familiar ranking sites. The following table shows the most recent ratings from prominent independent rating organizations:
|A.M. Best Rating||A||Excellent ability to meet their ongoing obligations|
|BBB Rating||A+||Not accredited, just over 1-star customer satisfaction ratings|
|J.D. Power Rating||3/5 stars||Overall satisfaction for the California region|
The Mercury website boasts a 4.5/5 star rating for customer satisfaction. Better Business Bureau ratings, just over a 1-star rating, indicate that Mercury Insurance claims are sometimes not paid in a timely manner. Other, more positive reviews suggest that their rates are competitive and the level of service was personal.
Reasons why Mercury is a great option
Mercury Insurance offers a range of discounts for auto and homeowners insurance. If you have students in college and they routinely make good grades, you may qualify for a discount. This, combined with the multi-car discount, can make for excellent savings on your auto insurance. With a bundled auto and home insurance policy, you can save even more money.
The only downside is their claims process – it does require you to call into their customer service phone number. There is no option to file a claim online, which can be a little bit of a hassle in today’s busy culture. However, they do take calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so there shouldn’t be a serious issue with making claims over the phone.
If you want a personalized claim service with competitive rates, Mercury may be a great option for you. Mercury Insurance claims to be able to save drivers $364 or more by switching to their auto insurance policies. Of course, this depends on a number of factors, but you can get an online quote relatively quickly.
Our sample driver, for example––a 33-year old female with one at-fault accident––received a six month premium quote of $802.00, with the option to save $45 by paying in full. That’s significantly less than other quotes provided by national insurance providers, and it’s less than the 2016 national average of $935 for auto insurance premiums.
Additional policies offered by Mercury
Mercury Insurance doesn’t just offer car and home insurance. In addition to basic home and car coverage, and their extensive additional options, Mercury also offers:
- Business Auto Insurance
- Business Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Mechanical Protection
- Renters Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
Each of these types of insurance offers some additional protection in your daily life, and you may be able to save money by having more coverage with Mercury.
Frequently asked questions
What information is needed in order to get a quote from Mercury?
You will need personal information, vehicle information, driver information and additional details about your history. You can enter this information into their online quote form, or call to get a quote over the phone.
How do I file a claim with Mercury?
The Mercury Insurance claims process is simple. Contact Mercury as soon as possible. Call 911, take photos and exchange information with the other driver if available. Document everything you can, and take pictures of everything you can. This will ensure a faster claims process.
How can I get lower rates with Mercury?
Lower rates will depend on your personal situation and driving history. You may qualify for discounts, so make sure to ask about available ones and provide any additional information necessary to qualify for them.
Higher deductibles usually yield lower rates, but be sure your auto lender or mortgage provider doesn’t have maximum deductible limits.
Can I get coverage for my business?
Yes, Mercury offers business auto and business insurance. Business auto insurance will cover your business’ assets when they are being driven by employees. Business insurance includes: Business Owners Policies (BOPs), Commercial Property, Commercial Liability, Commercial Umbrella and Important Optional Coverages.