Farmers Insurance began selling insurance to farmers to cover farm vehicles, but now offers a broad suite of insurance products. They’re known for their wide network and excellent disaster response.
Farmers car insurance coverage options and discounts
Those shopping for auto insurance will find all the basics of auto insurance with Farmers plus a few additional car insurance coverage options, such as extended customized equipment coverage or their New Car Replacement Coverage, which help them stand out from the competition.
- New Car Replacement Coverage: If your new car gets totaled within two years of purchase, and you drove it less than 24,000 miles, Farmers will replace it with the same make and model. You’ll just pay your deductible.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: Comprehensive coverage protects you from damage caused by incidents such as hail or theft, while collision coverage covers you in an accident.
- Customized Equipment Coverage: Farmers’ Customized Equipment Coverage covers your car’s after-market add-ons like alloy wheels or a sound system if this equipment is damaged.
- Liability: Liability insurance covers damage you cause to others in an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist damage: This covers damages and medical bills if you’re in an accident where the other driver is at-fault, and they don’t carry liability insurance or their limits are too low.
- Medical payments coverage: Pays for you or a passenger’s medical bills if injured in an accident.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Farmers insurance covers towing and roadside assistance available 24/7 for incidents like flat tires and dead or weak batteries.
- Accident Forgiveness: If you’ve selected Accident Forgiveness coverage and have one at-fault accident, your auto insurance rate won’t change. This coverage applies to one at-fault accident for every three years you go without one.
- Loss of use: Optional coverage which covers public transit options or a rental car if your insured vehicle becomes undrivable.
- Farmers® Rideshare Insurance: Covers drivers who work for ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft.
These are a sampling of the discounts available with Farmers car insurance, but remember that discounts and availability vary by state.
- Signal by Farmer: Receive a 5% discount for downloading the Signal app, which tracks your driving habits and up to a 15% discount at the end of the year.
- Loyalty discount: Discounts for remaining a customer for several years.
- Good student: Discount for students with good grades.
- Distant Student: Discount applies if your covered driver is away at college at least 100 miles away and left their car at home.
- Multi-Vehicle and bundled: Get a discount on your Farmers insurance policy if you insure multiple vehicles with Farmers or if you bundle different types of policies.
Farmers home insurance coverage and discounts
You can also purchase your home insurance policy through Farmers. Farmers home insurance coverage options include:
- Contents Replacement Cost Coverage: This coverage pays to replace the personal items within your home if lost due to theft or damage.
- Eco-Rebuild: If you rebuild your home after a fire, you can receive up to $25,000 towards the extra cost of green materials and appliances.
- Medical payments: Pays the medical bills if someone is injured on your property, regardless of liability.
- Living expenses: If you can’t live in your home, this coverage helps pay your living expenses elsewhere.
In addition to multi-policy discounts, there are other home insurance discounts that you can take advantage of when signing up for coverage with them.
- Claims Free Discount: If you’ve been claims-free for more than 3 consecutive years, you could receive a discount on your Farmers insurance quote.
- New Home: Available for homes built less than 12 years ago.
- Home Renovation: You could qualify for a discount from Farmers for upgrading your electrical, plumbing and other mechanical systems.
- Home Safety: For energy-efficient and safe homes that are Energy Star, EPA or LEED-certified or have other safety features.
- Protective devices: Discounts for installing fire alarms, security systems or an indoor fire sprinkler system.
Farmers ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Farmers insurance customer service is generally considered to be quite good. J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study ranks Farms pretty high on the list, with 4 out of 5 stars in overall satisfaction.
Farmers has excellent overall satisfaction ratings at Consumer Affairs, but when shopping around for an insurance provider, always check the reviews of your local office.
Reasons why Farmers is a great option
This brand is best for those who live in the Central and Midwestern regions, where the company began and has its strongest presence. Those who can bundle policies and qualify for multiple discounts should also ask for a Farmers insurance quote.
If you only need one policy, their premiums won’t be the cheapest option available. The average auto insurance policy with Farmers is $4,194 a year, the third-most-expensive in the country. If you’re getting a Farmers insurance quote, get a quote from a competitor, too.
The Farmers Mobile Claims Center travels to the site of natural disasters to help policyholders file claims easily.
Additional policies offered by Farmers
Looking to get those multi-policy discounts? Farmers also provides insurance in these additional categories:
- Recreational (boats, ATVs)
- Landlord and rental properties
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a Farmers insurance quote?
To get a Farmers insurance quote, navigate to the webpage for the type of insurance you’re looking for, such as auto or renters, and after a few clicks they’ll give you a quote. Or, call customer service or a local agent.
How do I file a claim with Farmers?
Farmers insurance claims are easy to file. You can call your Farmers insurance agent or file out a form online. If you’re in an area where a natural disaster such as a hurricane or tornado has struck, you can visit their Mobile Claims Center. Or, you can download the Farmers app to fill out a claim.