State Auto, which was purchased by Liberty Mutual in early 2022, offers some enticing coverage options for both auto and homeowners insurance. While the company’s average car insurance rates are higher than the national average, it boasts lower-than-average home insurance rates. However, drivers looking for a high degree of service may want to look elsewhere, as the company has a much higher-than-average complaint index from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for its auto insurance product.
|Customizable policies||Higher-than-average car insurance premiums|
|Local agents in some areas||Not available in all states|
|Lower-than-average home insurance premiums||Higher-than-average auto complaint index score from the NAIC|
Despite “auto” being in the company’s name, State Auto sells several different types of insurance coverage, including auto, home and business. The company could be a good fit if you are looking for a customizable policy, but there are drawbacks as well. Bankrate conducted an extensive State Auto Insurance review to help you decide if this company is the right fit for your needs.
State Auto car insurance | Bankrate Score: N/A
Drivers who want a simple way to build a policy may find that State Auto is one of the best car insurance companies for their needs. State Auto offers auto insurance under three different package types — Standard, Protection Plus and AutoXtended Premier. Each package includes different coverage options. However, the carrier also offers endorsements that you could add to each package. Options include accident forgiveness, ridesharing coverage and replacement cost coverage for vehicles 2 models years old or newer. Coverage is available in 33 states.
State Auto offers an online account management portal on its website, which allows you to pay your bill, file and manage claims, and view your policy online. You may also be able to contact a local agent if there are options located in your area. However, State Auto does have a higher-than-average complaint index from the NAIC for its private passenger auto product. A baseline score is 1.00; State Auto’s score is 4.34. This means that the NAIC receives over four times as many complaints about State Auto’s car insurance when compared to the baseline.
State Auto car insurance cost
On average, State Auto’s average rates are more expensive than the national average cost of car insurance. For example, full coverage insurance costs an average of $1,771 nationally, whereas State Auto’s average full coverage premium is $1,908 per year. Minimum coverage with State Auto is similarly more expensive than the national average at $700 per year versus $545 annually. However, your premium will be unique to your personal rating factors, so you may pay more or less than the numbers outlined below.
|State Auto average annual full coverage premium||National average annual full coverage premium|
|Clean driving history||$1,908||$1,771|
|Speeding ticket conviction||$2,327||$2,138|
|Adding a 16-year-old driver*||$5,286||$3,852|
*16-year-old rates reflect the added cost to their parents’ full coverage car insurance policy.
State Auto car insurance discounts
Although State Auto’s average prices are higher than the national averages, there may be ways to lower your car insurance rate. The company offers a handful of discounts that could help you save, including the following:
- State Auto Safety 360: This is State Auto’s car insurance telematics You may get up to a 10% discount just for enrolling. After enrollment, you will be asked to use a small device that installs on your windshield and monitors your driving habits. From there, you may earn a unique discount based on your driving patterns.
- Dwelling fire and umbrella multi-policy: While many companies offer a discount for bundling your auto and home, State Auto may also offer savings if you bundle your auto coverage with a dwelling fire (also called a landlord policy) or umbrella policy.
- Accident prevention course: If you are over 21 and have taken an approved accident prevention course in the last 36 months, you may qualify for a discount.
Keep in mind that discount eligibility and availability may vary by state, so talking with a State Auto agent is the best way to know what savings you may qualify for.
State Auto car services
In addition to standard private passenger vehicle insurance, State Auto also offers coverage for farm vehicles. Additionally, the company website includes a helpful resources section that offers guides for everything from installing a child’s car seat to driving in adverse weather conditions.
State Auto home insurance | Bankrate Score: N/A
If you’re shopping for the best home insurance company, State Auto could be a good choice if you are looking for a customizable policy. State Auto home insurance is sold in a similar format to car insurance, with three different packages to choose from — Standard, Protection Plus and Premier. Additionally, there are endorsements you can add to bolster your coverage, including identity fraud, home-sharing coverage and service line protection.
However, unlike its auto product, State Auto’s home insurance receives a lower-than-average complaint index from the NAIC, with a score of 0.69. This means that the NAIC received fewer complaints about State Auto’s home insurance than average.
State Auto home insurance cost
Nationally, home insurance costs $1,383 per year for a policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage. Comparatively, the average home insurance price with State Auto is $1,218 per year, which is slightly lower than the national average. In fact, State Auto’s average rates are lower across a range of coverage levels. Just like auto insurance, though, the cost of home insurance varies based on numerous factors, so you may pay more or less than the average prices listed here.
|Dwelling coverage limit||State Auto average annual premium||National average annual premium|
State Auto home insurance discounts
Despite its already lower-than-average premiums, State Auto offers several home insurance discounts that could help you lower your premium. If you’re looking for cheap home insurance, you may want to ask about some of these savings opportunities:
- FORTIFIED home: If your home is built to withstand weather damage and meets FORTIFIED building standards, you could save on your State Auto home insurance.
- New construction: Newer homes may be less likely to suffer from home damage than older houses. Because of this, you might save if your home is more newly built.
- Roof construction: Some types of roofing materials are more damage-resistant than others, which could mean you qualify for savings.
Just like with auto insurance, the discounts that you qualify for will depend on your state and individual eligibility.
State Auto home services
In addition to home insurance, State Auto also offers renters, condo owners, and dwelling fire coverage (also known as landlord insurance). If you live on or operate a farm or ranch, State Auto may be able to insure that as well. And just like with auto insurance, there’s a home insurance resources page on the company website that offers helpful tips and checklists for homeowners.
Other State Auto perks worth considering
Although auto insurance is in the name, State Auto is more than just a car insurance company. In addition to auto and home insurance, State Auto also offers the following types of coverage:
- Farm and ranch
Within the “business insurance” category, State Auto offers coverage for business autos, business property, workers compensation, cyber protection and more. Similarly, “farm and ranch” coverage includes options for farm and ranch autos, property and a farm umbrella.
State Auto social responsibility
State Auto is open and transparent about its give back programs. The company supports its communities through numerous foundations, partnerships and awards. State Auto also provides its Environmental, Social and Governance Report on its website. The report details the company’s various initiatives. For example, State Auto is working to reduce its carbon footprint by 75% by 2025. The report also includes detailed numbers on diversity within the company as well as insight into how those numbers have changed over time.
Not sure if State Auto is right for you? Consider these alternatives
If State Auto appeals to you but doesn’t feel like quite the right fit for any reason, you might want to get quotes from these companies:
- Farmers: If you like the way State Auto sells home insurance in packages, Farmers could be a good alternative. The company offers coverage in Standard, Enhanced and Premier packages. Farmers also sells a host of other insurance products.
- Geico: If State Auto’s online resources appeal to you, you may want to try Geico instead. The carrier is known for its robust digital tools, including an extensive mobile app. Geico also boasts lower-than-average auto insurance premiums on top of a long list of discounts.
- Lemonade: Lemonade could be a good choice if State Auto’s extensive social responsibility appeals to you. The company offers several insurance products and is a Certified B-Corp; you get to choose a charity to support when you purchase a policy.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2022 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Rates are weighted based on the population density in each geographic region. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2020 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the ages 18-60 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Age is not a contributing rating factor in Hawaii and Massachusetts.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket and single at-fault accident.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000, $750,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000, $75,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000, $300,000, $300,000, $300,000, $500,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.