Direct General Group started selling car insurance policies in 1991 with a focus on helping people get insurance regardless of their driving history. Although the company is fewer than 30 years old, it has made a name for itself as a trusted insurance provider for all drivers. If you have a history of auto claims, you can get Direct car insurance at a price you can afford.
In addition to car insurance, the Direct General Group offers renters insurance, motorcycle, commercial car and term life insurance, memberships for its roadside assistance services and vehicle protection plans. It sells policies in 11 states that are concentrated in the south.
Direct coverage options and discounts
Along with standard liability and full-coverage protection, Direct Auto offers the following options:
- Accidental death coverage: This option provides a $5,000 payment to the beneficiaries of the deceased.
- Rental reimbursement: This covers the cost of a rental car if a customer cannot drive their vehicle after an accident.
- Roadside assistance: With this coverage, customers receive 24-hour emergency towing, gas and essential fluid delivery, jump start for dead batteries, mechanical help through Direct Auto’s roadside assistance technicians, lockout service and a concierge, who’ll supply maps and routes for road trips.
- Towing: Included in full-coverage premiums, this benefit covers towing costs (up to the limit specified in the plan) for vehicles disabled after an accident or mechanical breakdown.
Direct Insurance also offers discounts including:
- Good student: Customers on the Dean’s list or who attained a B average on their coursework in high school and college can receive a 10% discount on their premium.
- Safe driver: Customers receive a 10% discount if they’ve been accident-free for the past 36 months with no moving violations.
- Senior citizen: Those 55 and older can receive up to a 5% discount on their insurance coverage, though qualifications will vary by state.
- Multi-car: Households that insure more than one automobile with Direct Auto could receive a discount of up to 25%.
- Policy renewal: As thanks for renewing a policy, Direct Auto offers up to 20% off the next policy if the driver didn’t have a lapse in coverage (due to non-payment) and they renew within seven to 10 days of their policy’s expiration date.
- Welcome back: Direct Auto offers its returning customers a 6% discount if their previous policy was more than six months past the expiration date and they live in a state where the discount applies.
Direct Auto also sells renters insurance policies, which protect your personal belongings from damage or destruction. Every policy includes the following coverage:
- Personal property: If your personal items are damaged or destroyed by a covered event, your renters insurance will help you pay to replace them.
- Personal liability: Personal liability coverage protects you if someone injures themselves at your home. Additionally, it also covers you if you accidentally cause injury to someone else or damage other property.
- Temporary living expenses: If you are unable to live in your home after a fire or other disaster, temporary living expenses will pay for your hotel and restaurant bills until you can move back in.
Direct Auto doesn’t list any discounts on their website for renters insurance. However, renters insurance is among the cheapest types of insurance you can get. Your rate will still be affordable, even without a discount. To find out more, ask a representative if there are any unadvertised discounts that you might qualify for.
Direct Auto’s ratings and customer reviews
Because Direct is a newer company that is only available in select states, Direct auto insurance reviews are limited. However, the reviews it does have are considered excellent.
To better understand what customers think of Direct Auto, we evaluated ratings from AM Best and the Better Business Bureau (BBB). AM Best’s rating indicates financial strength, whereas the BBB sheds light on customer satisfaction.
Based on findings from the BBB, the most common complaint from customers is the slow response times from the Direct Auto Insurance customer service team. Many noted it took up to two weeks to have anyone from Direct Auto speak to them, and even then their issues remained unresolved.
Reasons why Direct Auto is a great option
Direct Auto offers a wide variety of discounts that make it an enticing option for auto insurance. It’s one of the few insurance providers that offer discounts for customers renewing their policy and for coming back to the company. Direct Auto is also a great choice for high-risk drivers who have difficulty obtaining affordable insurance due to poor credit or bad driving history.
Additional policies offered by Direct Auto
Along with auto, you can get a Direct Auto Insurance quote for motorcycles, commercial auto insurance, Mexico auto insurance, supplemental health, term life insurance and renters insurance. Customers can even get a discount if they choose to bundle multiple policies.
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to receive a Direct Auto Insurance quote?
To get a Direct Auto Insurance quote, you’ll need vehicle information such as its make, model, the purpose of use and the name of the creditor if you’re still making payments. You’ll also need your driver’s license, details of any moving violations or accidents such as the date of the incident and the cause, personal information including your mailing address, where you garage or park your vehicle, how long you’ve been driving and which kind of coverage you want (liability or full.)
How do I file a Direct Auto Insurance claim?
Immediately following an accident, call Direct Auto at 1-800-403-1077 and select option 2.
How do I check on the status of a claim?
Call Direct Auto at 1-800-403-1077 and select option 3.
Does Direct Auto have a mobile app?
No, unlike most major carriers they don’t have one at this time. To file a claim or learn more about their policies, you can visit their website or call them.
Which states are Direct Auto available in?
Direct Auto insurance policies are available in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.