Travelers offers solid insurance options, but not the cheapest. They don’t offer as many policy discounts as competitors such as American Family, but Travelers insurance customer service does rank highly in many surveys.
Travelers car insurance coverage options and discounts
If you’re shopping around for car insurance, these will be your coverage options when requesting a Travelers insurance quote.
Accident forgiveness coverage: Travelers Insurance offers different levels of accident forgiveness coverage.
- Responsible Driver Plan: Every three years, Travelers forgives one accident and one minor violation.
- Premier Responsible Driver Plan: Same as the Responsible Driver Plan, but also includes a Decreasing Deductible, which reduces your deductible by $50 every six months you go without an accident, up to $500.
- Premier New Car Replacement: This coverage is a great option for drivers with a new car. If you total your new car in the first five years, you’re eligible for a new-car replacement, plus a lower glass deductible.
- Loan or lease gap insurance: Covers the gap between what you owe on a loan or lease and the car’s value if you get in an accident.
- Ridesharing: Drivers for Lyft and Uber can buy auto insurance through Travelers. Only available in Colorado and Illinois.
- Rental car: Rental car reimbursement if you’re in a covered accident and can’t use your car for more than 24 hours.
- Roadside assistance: Help available if you break down.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: These two coverages together can help cover damage costs if theft, vandalism or an accident damages your car.
- Liability coverage: Coverage if you damage someone else’s vehicle. Could also provide coverage for their medical bills if needed.
- Personal injury: Covers medical expenses relating to an accident regardless of who is at fault.
- Medical payments: Pays covered medical bills for either yourself or a passenger if you’re in an accident.
- Underinsured and uninsured: Helps out if an underinsured or uninsured driver hits you.
You can offset your auto insurance premiums at Travelers with one of the many discounts they offer.
- IntelliDrive Program: Sign up to allow Travelers to track your driving through an app and receive discounts for safe driving habits.
- Multi-policy: Discounts for having multiple insurance policies with Travelers.
- MultiCar: Discounts for insuring multiple vehicle.
- Hybrid and electric vehicle: For owning or leasing a hybrid or electric car.
- Homeownership: Save if you own a home, even if it isn’t insured with Travelers.
- Safe driver: Go accident-free for three years for an up to 10% discount, which jumps up to as much as 23% after five years.
- Continuous insurance: Save up to 15% if there have been no gaps in your coverage.
- Good Payer, EFT, and Paid in Full: Discounts based on paying your policy in full, by electronic transfer, or consistently on time.
- Early quote: You could be eligible for a 3-10% discount if you change your coverage after getting a Travelers insurance quote before your current policy expires.
- Good student: Full-time high school and college students could receive up to an 8% discount for maintaining a “B” average.
- Away student: Get up to a 7% discount if a dependent goes to school more than 100 miles away and doesn’t take their car.
- Driver training: Discount up to 8% for completing a driver education course.
Travelers home insurance coverage and discounts
Combining a home insurance policy with your auto insurance can save you money. Here are your options for home insurance with Travelers:
- Dwelling coverage: Covers the cost to repair or rebuild after damage caused by a coverage cause.
- Additional replacement cost: If your primary policy doesn’t cover 100% of the repairs, this kicks for additional coverage.
- Personal property: Coverage for personal items damaged or destroyed.
- Personal liability: Protection if someone is injured on your property.
- Other structures: Coverage for other structures on your property, such as a garage or fence.
- Loss of use: Pays costs related to living away from home if due to a covered loss.
- Contents replacement: Pays out the replacement cost of damaged items, rather than a depreciated amount.
- Jewelry and valuable items: Additional coverage for valuable items.
- Personal articles floater: Also covers named valuable items, but can be bought separately for higher coverage on specific valuable items.
- Identity fraud: Up to $25,000 in coverage for identity theft-related expenses.
- Green home: Additional coverage if you want to restore or rebuild a home using green materials.
Travelers gives discounts to homeowners to offset their sometimes higher policy premiums.
- Multi-policy: Discounts for purchasing more than one type of insurance policy through Travelers. Customers who bundle their Travelers home and auto insurance could save up to 15%.
- Home buyer: A discount those who purchased a home within the last 12 months.
- Loss-free: If you go a certain time length of time without filing a claim, you’ll get a discount. Varies based on state.
- Protective device: Install a smoke detector, fire alarm, interior sprinkler system, security system or other smart home devices to qualify for this discount.
- Green home: LEED-certified homeowners save up to 5%.
Travelers ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
If filing Travelers insurance claims, you’re likely to have a good experience. Travelers scored high for customer satisfaction with the rental experience, estimation process and claims servicing after an accident with J.D. Power.
Travelers Insurance earned an A+ Better Business Bureau rating, though the Travelers insurance customer service scores much lower based on customer reviews. Most complaints relate to billing issues and customer misunderstandings over what their policy covered. Based upon this, make sure you understand your coverage details before purchasing a policy.
Travelers: A great option for safe drivers
Who should request a Travelers insurance quote? Safe drivers can benefit from choosing Travelers as drivers who’ve been accident-free for over five years could earn a discount. They’re also a good choice if you just bought a car since you can opt into Premier New Car Replacement coverage.
According to U.S. News, the average cost of a Travelers auto insurance policy is $4,434.91 a year, which is at the higher end. Based on U.S. News’s research, the average rate of car insurance is $3,915, putting Travelers slightly higher.
Additional policies offered by Travelers
If you need to insure other valuable property or events in your life, Travelers also sells the following types of plans:
- Boat & yacht
- Weddings & events
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Travelers?
You can start a quote online with your ZIP code, or call to talk with an agent. If you want to talk to a local agent, click the “find an agent” button on their website.
How do I file a claim with Travelers?
File your Travelers insurance claim through the “claim center” on Travelers website, through their app or by calling.
How do I find out my Travelers insurance claim status?
You can check your claim status on the app, online or with your agent. You can also upload files to your claim professional, and look up contractors and repairs shops using Travelers resources.