Foremost Insurance review 2022
Why you can trust Bankrate
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . This content is powered by HomeInsurance.com (NPN: 8781838). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
Policyholders who value specialty coverage or need high-risk coverage over digital capabilities might consider Foremost as their company of choice.
- Vandalism and malicious mischief coverage available for vacant homes
- AARP and USAA members could access additional programs through Foremost
- Car insurance policy features and discounts may be more basic
- Limited online accessibility and mobile app access only available for car insurance purchased through Bristol West
Foremost is ideal for customers who may have trouble qualifying for car or home insurance with traditional carriers. As part of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies, it is able to both underwrite its own policies and offer insurance through affiliated partners. As a leading name in the home insurance market today, Bankrate’s Foremost Insurance review could help you figure out if Foremost Insurance is the right fit for your needs.
Foremost car insurance
Foremost car insurance is offered through Bristol West, another Farmers Insurance Group company. Bristol West specializes in high-risk car insurance for drivers who have not been able to find insurance with other car insurance carriers due to their driving record or lack of driving experience. Coverage is generally limited to standard car insurance options, with a few add-ons available, including rental reimbursement, medical payments, towing and roadside service and gap insurance.
Foremost car insurance cost
Car insurance rates with Bristol West are much higher than the average cost of car insurance in the U.S. Based on 2022 data obtained from Quadrant Information Services, Bristol West offers an average premium of $3,534 per year for full coverage. In contrast, the national average is $1,771 for full coverage and a clean driving record. Drivers who have a speeding ticket conviction or an at-fault accident on their driving record can expect their car insurance rates to be higher, on average.
|Foremost (Bristol West) average annual full coverage premium||National average full coverage premium|
|Clean driving history||$3,534||$1,771|
|Adding a 16-year-old driver||$7,964||$3,852|
Foremost car insurance discounts
Saving money on car insurance can be easier with discounts. In comparison with other car insurance carriers, Bristol West’s discount opportunities can be more limited. If you are working with a Farmers agent and already have existing policies, such as a homeowners or renters insurance, you may be able to earn a multiple policy discount. Checking with a Farmers agent will be the best way to maximize your savings.
Foremost car services
If your state’s department of motor vehicles has requested proof of insurance, Bristol West can file a SR-22 or FR-44 on your behalf. This will serve as verification that you have an active car insurance policy that has at least the minimum liability coverage required by the state.
Foremost home insurance
Foremost specializes in insuring vacant homes, which is something many home insurance companies will not do. This is ideal for customers who do not live in their home, either because they have another residence, it is being renovated or the home is for sale. Foremost can insure homes with a value of up to $1 million and does not impose any restriction on the age of the home.
Coverage for Foremost home insurance includes named peril coverage, liability coverage and vandalism and malicious mischief coverage, which is not typically found for vacant homes. Additionally, unlike other standard home insurance companies, homeowners can cancel their policy and have the premium pro-rated back within the first 12 months, though the policy can be renewed for up to four years.
However, keep in mind that there are some key features about Foremost home insurance. It is an actual cash value policy, meaning that the cost of replacing or repairing the property takes depreciation into account. However, the policy is also an agreed loss settlement, meaning that in the event of a total loss, you will receive the full amount of your homeowners insurance policy, less any deductibles.
Foremost home insurance cost
The average cost of home insurance with Foremost is $3,035 in 2022 for $250,000 in dwelling coverage. These rates are higher than the U.S. average, which is $1,383 per year for the same amount of coverage.
|Dwelling coverage limit||Foremost average annual premium||National average annual premium|
Foremost home insurance discounts
It is unclear if Foremost offers any home insurance discounts, but speaking to a Foremost or Farmers agent could help you determine your savings opportunities.
Foremost home services
Foremost does not advertise any additional services for homeowners customers.
Other Foremost perks worth considering
Foremost offers a wide range of insurance products, including the following:
- Mobile home insurance: As the first company to offer this type of insurance, Foremost is well-versed in the needs of mobile home owners.
- Seasonal home insurance: This type of homeowners insurance is tailored for those who own a home, but only live in it for a portion of the year.
- Collectible auto insurance: Offered through JC Taylor, this insurance is specialized for collectible cars, especially vehicles that are displayed at car shows.
Foremost corporate sustainability
Although Bristol West does not share its social responsibility efforts, the company is part of the larger Farmers Insurance Group of Companies. The partnership does have many community initiatives geared towards community empowerment and disaster relief, and has set up donation programs for employees.
Not sure if Foremost is right for you? Consider these alternatives
- Farmers: Farmers is a partner company for Foremost, and might be ideal for those who do not need specialty insurance for their home or car.
- Erie: Erie offers some of the cheapest average rates for drivers with incidents on their driving record (among companies Bankrate has studied), such as an at-fault accident or speeding ticket.
- American Family: American Family might be worth a look if in need of another vacant home insurance option.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2022 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2020 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
Age: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the ages 18-60 (base: 40 years) applied. Depending on age, drivers may be a renter or homeowner. Age is not a contributing rating factor in Hawaii and Massachusetts. For 16-year-old rates, rates were calculated with three drivers listed, two parents plus their 16-year-old.
Incidents: Rates were calculated by evaluating our base profile with the following incidents applied: clean record (base), single speeding ticket conviction and a single DUI conviction.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.