Headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee, The General Automobile Insurance Services, Inc. – The General for short – is a subsidiary of PGC Holdings Corporation, which is an affiliate of American Family Insurance. Although PGC was founded in 1963 and has offered auto insurance for over 50 years, it did not actually start offering insurance through The General until April 1997.
The General may be best for drivers in the high-risk category. That includes drivers with a history of accidents, a poor credit score, teen drivers and senior drivers. Auto insurance from The General is much cheaper than its competitors, so high-risk drivers may have an option to get affordable insurance despite their circumstances. Even if you are not considered a high-risk driver, you may be able to save time and money by bundling affordable auto coverage with life or recreational-vehicle insurance. Take a closer look at what The General has to offer.
The General car insurance
The General offers standard auto insurance coverage to meet a state’s minimum requirements to legally drive. However, you can add a few extras to expand your level of protection to include your property. A variety of discounts to help drivers save money. A typical The General insurance policyholder may have had trouble finding coverage or affordable rates elsewhere, but most drivers will find the level of coverage they expect.
- Comprehensive coverage: This provides financial protection for damage caused by severe weather, theft, fire and vandalism.
- Liability coverage: Liability insurance pays for third-party damages and injuries and is part of a standard vehicle insurance policy.
- Collision coverage: Usually accompanied by comprehensive coverage, collision coverage pays for your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a crash.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage: Add this coverage to pay for vehicle repairs if the driver at-fault is not insured.
- Medical payments coverage: If you are worried about hospital expenses, medical payments covers the cost of your medical bills from an accident regardless of who is at fault.
- Personal injury protection (PIP): PIP pays for your personal damages regardless of who is at fault.
- 24/7 roadside assistance: With this plan added, you will get access to repairs, jump start or towing.
- Towing coverage: This optional coverage helps pay for towing fees after your car is disabled from an accident.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is in the shop following a covered accident, rental car reimbursement coverage pays for vehicle rental fees up to a certain amount per day.
- Paid in full: Make one payment for your annual or semi-annual bill.
- Double deductible: You can get a discount on your premiums, but your deductible requirement will be double the price in the first 45 days of coverage with The General Insurance Company.
- Good student discount: High school or college students could save on coverage if they have good grades.
- Driver training discount: Take additional drivers ed classes for a discount.
- Transfer discount: Switch to The General from another carrier and you could earn a discount on your car insurance.
- Military discount (only in Louisiana): Louisiana-based military personnel qualify for cheaper rates.
- Continuous coverage: If your car insurance did not lapse, you could receive a discount on the cost of your coverage.
- Motor club members may qualify for a discount.
The General ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
The General customer reviews are generally positive. The insurance company has a financial stability rating of “A,” which is defined as being excellent in its ability to meet ongoing insurance obligations.
The General is not listed in the J.D. Power U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, which ranks overall customer satisfaction among auto insurers. However, most of the other widely-known companies, like State Farm, Geico and Nationwide did make the list. Some carriers do not have a large enough customer base to rank in the study.
Looking at the National Association of Insurance Commissioners database, The General’s customer complaints are higher at 5.87 than the average of 1.0. However, of the 59,000 customer reviews on Trustpilot, The General earned an “excellent” score of 4.7 out of 5.
Top reasons to consider The General
The General may be one of the few insurance companies currently providing cheap car insurance to high-risk drivers. High-risk drivers include those under the age of 20 or over the age of 70. They may also be defined as having a suspended or revoked license that requires an SR-22 in order to be reinstated. An SR-22 is a form from your insurance company that indicates you have the required amount of liability coverage required by your state.
The General does offer many benefits such as affordable coverage for all types of drivers, but if you have a good driving history, you may find a wider range of car insurance elsewhere. Although The General’s insurance is cheaper and inclusive, it lacks options such as replacement cost, rideshare or alternative fuel vehicle coverage.
Additional policies offered by The General
The General is a full-service insurance agency. It offers prospective customers a list of coverages that go beyond the expected vehicle, renters and homeowners insurance. Other coverages include:
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
There is also The General Labs, which tests out new insurance products and services and relies on customer feedback to improve its offerings. Besides insurance products such as car, mobile phone and vehicle warranty, you can access personal financial and business services designed to save you money.
Frequently asked questions
What is a high-risk driver?
High-risk drivers typically have more than one accident or moving violation, such as a speeding ticket or failure to stop. High-risk drivers tend to pay more for car insurance because insurance companies believe they are more likely to file claims.
What do I need to get a quote from The General?
Getting quotes from several carriers may help you find a rate better than the average cost of car insurance. To get a The General insurance quote, you will need to provide your location, vehicle information and driver information for everyone who will be on the policy.
How long does it take to get a quote from The General auto insurance?
The answer depends on how many drivers and vehicles are included, but it usually takes two minutes or less to discover how much your down payment and monthly payments would be at The General.
How do I file a claim with The General?
The General provides two ways to submit a car insurance claim. Consumers can call the company, which always has representatives available (24 hours per day/7 days per week), or download The General’s app from the Apple Store or Google Pay.
What are the payment options for The General car insurance?
Consumers can pay for The General auto insurance by credit card, and in some states, also by electronic check. There is also an option to auto-pay. Consumers can pay online or pay via The General’s mobile app.