Today, Nationwide operates from many offices throughout the United States and sells much more than car insurance — aided by a team of more than 30,000 associates. Nationwide also provides coverage for homes, farms, pets and recreational vehicles, and offers investment products such as pension plans, savings plans, annuities and mortgages.
As a large national provider of car insurance, Nationwide is able to offer a broad range of programs, including innovative low mileage and safe driver coverage that uses telematics to monitor your driving skills in real time, rewarding safe driving with substantial discounts — up to 40% off your premium costs.
Nationwide also helps you ensure that you have the right coverage for you with it’s On Your Side Review program, which encourages you to schedule a free assessment of your policy annually, or whenever there’s a change in your life, so that you’re confident your coverage will be exactly what you need, when you need it.
Nationwide car insurance coverage options and discounts
Nationwide liability coverage options
Nationwide auto insurance offers a full range of liability coverages, including:
- Bodily injury liability, which pays for the medical bills and lost income of other parties when you are at fault in an accident.
- Property damage liability pays for damages to another driver’s vehicle, or damage to other types of property, when you are at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection goes a step further than bodily injury coverage does. Many states have “no-fault” laws that require PIP coverage. It helps pay the medical expenses of the policyholder and his passengers, regardless of who is at fault in an accident.
- Many states require drivers to carry uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage. These policies pay for your property damage and medical expenses if an uninsured or underinsured driver causes an accident involving your vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage provides more coverage than PIP does, because it can pay the medical expenses you might sustain while riding in another person’s vehicle. It can also cover the medical costs of injuries sustained by passengers in your car or injuries you my cause to a pedestrian.
Nationwide vehicle coverage options
With Nationwide auto insurance, you can also purchase policies that protect your vehicle, including:
- Collision coverage, which pays for repairs to your vehicle, even when you are at fault in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance pays for theft of your car or its contents, or damage to your car not caused by an accident. For instance, if a tree falls on your vehicle during a storm, your comprehensive policy can help pay for repairs.
- Towing and labor coverage helps defray costs when you break down on the road. To purchase this coverage, you must have a comprehensive policy. This coverage does not pay for auto parts.
- Rental car expense coverage can help pay rental car fees if your vehicle needs repair following an accident.
- If your financed or leased vehicle and is stolen or totaled in an accident, gap coverage can pay the difference between the settlement amount and the actual cash value. For example, if you still owe $2,000 on a totaled car and the insurance company pays you $1,500, gap coverage can pay the additional $500.
- Nationwide’s accident forgiveness coverage protects your premium rate if you are at fault in your first traffic accident.
- Roadside assistance coverage offers 24-hour service and helps pay for emergency expenses such as jump starts, towing, tire changes, lockouts and gas delivery.
- If you maintain a safe driving record, Nationwide’s vanishing deductible coverage can lower your collision and comprehensive deductibles by $100 per year.
- Nationwide’s total loss deductible waiver waves your collision or comprehensive deductibles if you total your car or someone steals it. This coverage provides a cumulative benefit, reducing your deductible $100 per year, if you maintain an accident-free driving record.
All coverages have limits and only apply for covered events. Insurance adjusters determine the amount of benefit a policyholder will receive for a claim.
Nationwide auto discounts
Discounts can make a big difference in the amount you pay for your coverage. Nationwide offers significant savings to help reduce your premium rates with different discounts, including:
- Multi-policy discounts: Save an average of $710 a year when you combine home and auto.
- SmartRide: Earn a discount by joining Nationwide’s usage-based telematics program that also gives you feedback on your driving decisions.
- SmartMiles: If you’re in your car less often, you can save money with a flexible monthly rate that’s based on how many miles you drive.
- Safe driver discounts: If you’ve gone five years without a major accident or violation you can get cheaper premiums through Nationwide.
- Accident free discounts: You can also get a discount by maintaining an accident-free driving record while getting your insurance through Nationwide.
- Good student discounts: I you’re aged 16-24 and maintain a B average or better, you can score a discount
- Defensive driving course discounts: If you’re 55 or over and complete a state-approved driver safety course, you can save.
- Anti-theft device discounts: If you have an anti-theft device in your car then you are eligible for a Nationwide discount.
- Automatic payment discounts: This is only a one-time discount the month you sign up for Easy Pay, but it’s still worth pursuing.
- Organization discounts: Nationwide partners with hundreds of alumni associations, professional groups, sports groups and more to offer discounts to members.
Nationwide homeowners insurance
Nationwide liability coverage options
Part of your homeowners insurance covers liability, which would pay legal costs if someone sued you after they were injured at your home. There is also coverage for their medical costs, as well.
- Personal liability: If an accident happens in your home that injures a visitor or damages their property, this will pay for covered damages.
- Medical payments to others: This pays for medical or funeral expenses of someone hurt on your property.
Nationwide home coverage options
In addition to liability coverage, there are a number of other ways your Nationwide insurance can protect you and your property.
- Dwelling insurance, or hazard insurance: Protects your home’s structure from foundation to roof, including built-in appliances and wall-to-wall carpet.
- Personal property coverage: Pays for damage to things you own, from furniture to the clothes in your closet. If you own items of particular value, such as expensive jewelry or electronics, you may need an additional rider, or add-on, to adequately cover them.
- Ordinance or law insurance: Kicks in if it will cost more to rebuild or repair your home to current building codes.
- Other structures: Your basic dwelling insurance covers damage to anything attached to your home, like a built-on garage. But if the garage is not attached, or you have a shed, gazebo, barn or other structure you’d like covered, you’ll need this coverage.
- Loss of use: If you need to live elsewhere while your home is being repaired, this will cover the costs.
- Credit card coverage: Pays up to your limit for unauthorized transactions on your credit and debit/ATM cards.
- Identity theft: This optional coverage will help keep you safe if your identity is stolen.
- Replacement cost plus: An optional coverage that adds an additional 20% of your property coverage limit if needed.
- Water backup: Provides expanded coverage for water back up through your sewer or if your sump pump overflows.
- Earthquake: Optional coverage if you’re in an area known for earth tremors.
Nationwide homeowner discounts
As with auto insurance, Nationwide offers a range of homeowners discounts that can bring down the cost of your coverage.
- Multi policy: Bundle home with car insurance and save.
- Protective device: You get a discount if you have smoke detectors, fire alarms or burglar alarms in your home.
- Claims-free: If you go without making any claims you may qualify for an extra discount on your premium.
- Home renovation credit: You’ll receive a discount if you renovate and update your plumbing, heating, cooling or electrical systems.
- Roof rating: Upgrading your roof may save you money.
- Home purchase: If you’ve bought your home in the last 12 months.
- Prior insurance: For new customers, based on how long they were insured by their previous carrier.
- Gated community: If your neighborhood is protected by security guards, residence cards or key-lock devices.
Nationwide renters insurance
Nationwide liability options
Renters insurance is, in some ways, similar to homeowners. It includes the same type of liability coverages.
- Personal liability: To pay for covered damage or injury caused by an accident to a guest in your home.
- Medical payments to others: Pays for medical or funeral expenses for someone who is injured in your home.
Nationwide apartment coverage
Renters insurance is different from homeowners insurance in that a renter is not responsible for the structure of the building — your landlord will have insurance to cover that. But there are some types of insurance that make renters insurance a good investment.
- Contents: This protects your furniture, clothing and all your belongings from covered losses. If you have expensive belongings, the Valuables Plus rider can cover them effectively.
- Loss of use: If you have to stay in a hotel while your apartment is being repaired or rebuilt, this will cover hotel, food and other costs.
- Building additions and alterations: If you make changes to your apartment or home, this will cover them.
- Credit card coverage: Pays for unauthorized transactions on your credit and debit/ATM card.
- Water backup: This optional coverage protects against loss from a backed-up sewer or drain.
- Theft extension: This optional coverage offers extended protection for belongings that are stored in your car, trailer or boat.
- Earthquake: Covers you if your home is damaged or destroyed due to earth tremors or volcanoes.
Nationwide renters discounts
You can save money on your renters insurance by using these easy-to-earn discounts.
- Multi-policy: Combine your renters insurance with auto or another type of Nationwide insurance.
- Protective device: If you have smoke detectors, fire alarms or burglar devices.
- Claims-free: If you are able to go without making a claim you’re eligible for a discount.
Nationwide insurance reviews, ratings, customer satisfaction and complaints
In its 2019 U.S. Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, J.D. Power and Associates rated Nationwide car insurance slightly below average. Using a 5-star rating system, J.D. Power rates Nationwide with three out of five stars, which includes overall customer satisfaction, product offerings, pricing, billing and processing, customer interaction and claims handling.
In the 2020 U.S. Property Claims Satisfaction Study, however, Nationwide insurance rating was well above the industry average, with a fifth place rating (886 points out of 1,000). This indicates a general satisfaction with the quality of the company’s customer and claims servicing for homeowners.
AM Best ranks Nationwide’s financial strength A+ (Superior) and estimates the company has $2 billion or more in assets, which provides enough backing to meet its contract obligations.
The Better Business Bureau gives Nationwide an A+ rating. The BBB bases its ratings on several factors, including the number of complaints it receives about a company, how a business responds to a complaint, how promptly a company responds to a complaint and how successfully a business resolves a complaint.
According to Nationwide insurance reviews, customers and claimants have filed a variety of complaints with the BBB against Nationwide, similar to grievances lodged against other insurance companies. Some customers complained of slow service by claims adjusters or miscommunication regarding claims. Others disputed the amount of their settlements or slow payment of settlements.
Reasons why Nationwide car insurance is a great option
Nationwide car insurance offers excellent premium rates. Compared with Geico, Nationwide has lower rates for people with poor credit scores and for drivers with a history of at-fault accidents, according to The Zebra. Nationwide premium prices also come in lower than Geico do for divers over 40 years of age.
Compared with Allstate, Nationwide offers better rates in all categories. For example, a teenage driver pays an estimated $6,442 per year for an Allstate policy, compared to $3,624 with Nationwide, according to The Zebra. And, a driver in her 60s can save over $700 annually by choosing Nationwide over Allstate.
Nationwide’s homeowners and renters insurance may also be a good option, especially if you already have your car insurance with the company. Nationwide offers excellent comprehensive coverage with enough riders and add-ons for you to be able to customize your policy to best fit your own unique circumstances. When discounts are applied, Nationwide’s rates are some of the lowest in the industry, and the company’s financial stability means it will be there for you even in the event of a large regional disaster.
Additional policies offered by Nationwide
If you are like most consumers, you need more coverage than just car insurance. Nationwide offers a wide range of financial products, including:
- Homeowners, renters, condo and flood insurance
- Motorcycle, snowmobile, classic car, ATV, RV, scooter, golf cart and boat insurance
- Dental, life, umbrella, accident medical and pet insurance
- Wedding, travel and specialty liability insurance
- Mutual funds, annuities, retirement plans and life insurance
- Money market, checking and savings accounts
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Nationwide?
A Nationwide agent will need to know the make and model of your vehicle, your location, your age, the number of miles you drive each year and the number of people in your household who drive the vehicle. In some locations, a Nationwide agent may also request your Social Security number to run a credit check.
How do I file a claim with Nationwide?
You can file a claim by calling their Nationwide agent or online at the Nationwide website. After filing a claim, you can track its progress on Nationwide’s website.
Does Nationwide have good premium rates?
Compared with other major car insurance companies, including Geico and Allstate, Nationwide offers lower premium prices for many drivers.
Does Nationwide offer coverage other than auto insurance?
Nationwide has a full line of insurance products to cover your home, recreational vehicles and even your pets.