Today, Nationwide operates from many offices throughout the United States and sells much more than car insurance. Nationwide also provides coverage for homes, farms, pets and recreational vehicles, and offers investment products such as pension plans, savings plans, annuities and mortgages.
Nationwide car insurance coverage options and discounts
Nationwide liability coverage options
Nationwide auto insurance offers a full range of liability coverages, including:
- Bodily injury liability, which pays for the medical bills and lost income of other parties when you are at fault in an accident.
- Property damage liability pays for damages to another driver’s vehicle, or damage to other types of property, when you are at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection goes a step further than bodily injury coverage does. Many states have “no-fault” laws that require PIP coverage. It helps pay the medical expenses of the policyholder and his passengers, regardless of who is at fault in an accident.
- Many states require drivers to carry uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage. These policies pay for your property damage and medical expenses if an uninsured or underinsured driver causes an accident involving your vehicle.
- Medical payments coverage provides more coverage than PIP does, because it can pay the medical expenses you might sustain while riding in another person’s vehicle. It can also cover the medical costs of injuries sustained by passengers in your car or injuries you my cause to a pedestrian.
Nationwide vehicle coverage options
With Nationwide auto insurance, you can also purchase policies that protect your vehicle, including:
- Collision coverage, which pays for repairs to your vehicle, even when you are at fault in an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance pays for theft of your car or its contents, or damage to your car not caused by an accident. For instance, if a tree falls on your vehicle during a storm, your comprehensive policy can help pay for repairs.
- Towing and labor coverage helps defray costs when you break down on the road. To purchase this coverage, you must have a comprehensive policy. This coverage does not pay for auto parts.
- Rental car expense coverage can help pay rental car fees if your vehicle needs repair following an accident.
- If your financed or leased vehicle and is stolen or totaled in an accident, gap coverage can pay the difference between the settlement amount and the actual cash value. For example, if you still owe $2,000 on a totaled car and the insurance company pays you $1,500, gap coverage can pay the additional $500.
- Nationwide’s accident forgiveness coverage protects your premium rate if you are at fault in your first traffic accident.
- Roadside assistance coverage offers 24-hour service and helps pay for emergency expenses such as jump starts, towing, tire changes, lockouts and gas delivery.
- If you maintain a safe driving record, Nationwide’s vanishing deductible coverage can lower your collision and comprehensive deductibles by $100 per year.
- Nationwide’s total loss deductible waiver waves your collision or comprehensive deductibles if you total your car or someone steals it. This coverage provides a cumulative benefit, reducing your deductible $100 per year, if you maintain an accident-free driving record.
All coverages have limits and only apply for covered events. Insurance adjusters determine the amount of benefit a policyholder will receive for a claim.
Nationwide customers can file claims online at the Nationwide website or by calling their local insurance agent. After filing a claim, policyholders can track its progress on the Nationwide website.
To help reduce your premium rates, Nationwide offers money-saving discounts, including:
- Multi-policy discounts
- Safe driver discounts
- Accident free discounts
- Good student discounts
- Defensive driving course discounts
- Anti-theft device discounts
- Automatic payment discounts
- Organization discounts
- Paperless documents discounts
Nationwide insurance reviews, ratings, customer satisfaction and complaints
In its 2019 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, J.D. Power and Associates rated Nationwide car insurance below average. Using a 5-star rating system, J.D. Power rates Nationwide two stars in all categories, which include overall customer satisfaction, product offerings, pricing, billing and processing, customer interaction and claims handling.
AM Best ranks Nationwide’s financial strength A+ (Superior) and estimates the company has $2 billion or more in assets, which provides enough backing to meet its contract obligations.
The Better Business Bureau gives Nationwide an A+ rating. The BBB bases its ratings on several factors, including the number of complaints it receives about a company, how a business responds to a complaint, how promptly a company responds to a complaint and how successfully a business resolves a complaint.
According to Nationwide insurance reviews, customers and claimants have filed a variety of complaints with the BBB against Nationwide, similar to grievances lodged against other insurance companies. Some customers complained of slow service by claims adjusters or miscommunication regarding claims. Others disputed the amount of their settlements or slow payment of settlements.
Reasons why Nationwide car insurance is a great option
Nationwide car insurance offers excellent premium rates. Compared with Geico, Nationwide has lower rates for people with poor credit scores and for drivers with a history of at-fault accidents, according to The Zebra. Nationwide premium prices also come in lower than Geico do for divers over 40 years of age.
Compared with Allstate, Nationwide offers better rates in all categories. For example, a teenage driver pays an estimated $6,442 per year for an Allstate policy, compared to $3,624 with Nationwide, according to The Zebra. And, a driver in her 60s can save over $700 annually by choosing Nationwide over Allstate.
Additional policies offered by Nationwide
If you are like most consumers, you need more coverage than just car insurance. Nationwide offers a wide range of financial products, including:
- Homeowners, renters, condo and flood insurance
- Motorcycle, snowmobile, classic car, ATV, RV, scooter, golf cart and boat insurance
- Dental, life, umbrella, accident medical and pet insurance
- Wedding, travel and specialty liability insurance
- Mutual funds, annuities, retirement plans and life insurance
- Money market, checking and savings accounts
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Nationwide?
A Nationwide agent will need to know the make and model of your vehicle, your location, your age, the number of miles you drive each year and the number of people in your household who drive the vehicle. In some locations, a Nationwide agent may also request your Social Security number to run a credit check.
How do I file a claim with Nationwide?
You can file a claim by calling their Nationwide agent or online at the Nationwide website. After filing a claim, you can track its progress on Nationwide’s website.
Does Nationwide have good premium rates?
Compared with other major car insurance companies, including Geico and Allstate, Nationwide offers lower premium prices for many drivers.
Does Nationwide offer coverage other than auto insurance?
Nationwide has a full line of insurance products to cover your home, recreational vehicles and even your pets.