Founded in 1982 by James M. Stone, Plymouth Rock Assurance is a smaller insurance company serving customers in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Since the beginning, its focus has been on earning customers’ trust through the best policies, rates and superior personal service.
Among the many types of insurance it offers, Plymouth Rock’s key insurance products are home and auto insurance policies. Boston-based Plymouth Rock Assurance might be a good choice for those who prefer an insurance provider with a human touch and lots of customization.
- Date established: 1982
- Insurance products offered: Auto, home, umbrella, renters, term life, motorcycle, condo, pet, boat & watercraft, flood, motorhome
- AM Best financial strength rating: Excellent
- NAIC complaint index: 1.13
- Availability: Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
|Wide range of coverage perks||Only available in six states|
|Easy online quote process||Ranked below average in J.D. Power’s consumer satisfaction survey|
Plymouth Rock car insurance
The standout feature of Plymouth Rock’s auto insurance policies is the impressive range of options. The company’s small number of customers means it can offer some options that differentiate it from other insurance carriers. Like some of the best car insurance companies, Plymouth Rock has options and discounts available for every age group, allowing its policies to adapt to new changes for every stage in life.
Types of coverage
Plymouth’s Rock standard auto policy is in line with each state’s basic requirements for auto insurance. These options include bodily injury liability, collision and comprehensive, personal injury protection (PIP) and uninsured motorists’ coverage. As a bonus, every auto policy with Plymouth Rock includes its Essential Assurance package, which offers a few perks, including guaranteed repairs if your vehicle is brought to a participating repair shop and valet service. Customers who have had a policy for three years are automatically upgraded to Assurance Plus, which offers additional benefits such as late-night pickup, mobile device coverage and pet protection.
If you would like to upgrade from the standard auto policy, you have two choices:
- Assurance Preferred. With this upgraded option, customers have all the benefits of the Essential Assurance package with additional benefits like additional towing and labor, pet injury coverage, waiver of deductible for windshield replacement and more.
- Assurance Premier. This top-tier option includes everything in the Assurance Preferred package. Among its many additional features, some unique options include roadside assistance, a new car replacement in certain scenarios, loan/lease gap coverage and electronic key replacement if lost or stolen.
- A la carte coverages. These are options that can be added to the policy individually. Some of these features include accident forgiveness, loan/lease gap coverage, and full glass coverage.
Cost of Plymouth Rock car insurance
On average, the annual cost of car insurance in the United States is $1,674 per year for full coverage and $565 per year for minimum coverage. Plymouth Rock’s average car insurance cost comes in below these numbers in both categories.
Getting a quote online is easy, and its packages offer a lot for the money, but consumers should be aware that auto insurance rates from any carrier vary depending on age, driving record, type and age of the car, miles driven and installed safety features.
|Plymouth Rock average annual car insurance rates|
|Minimum coverage||Full coverage|
Plymouth Rock offers many unique discounts that give drivers from all different backgrounds and needs even more savings on their car insurance. Whether you’re adding a new young driver to your policy or a member of a partner association, Plymouth Rock has made it easy to add lots of discounts to your policy. Where available, some include:
- Driver Training discount. If you have completed a state-approved defensive driving course, your auto insurance policy may be eligible for this discount.
- Student Away at School discount. If you have a student away at school who does not regularly drive the vehicles on your policy, this discount may be added to your policy.
- Advanced Shopper discount. If you obtain an auto insurance quote seven days before your existing policy renews, this discount could be applied to your policy.
Plymouth Rock home insurance
Many of the best homeowners insurance companies customize homeowners policies to their customer’s needs. Although Plymouth Rock is a smaller company, it is still able to do the same. Plymouth Rock offers three tiers of homeowners insurance, and from there, customers can continue to add options if desired and available in their state.
Types of coverage
Plymouth Rock offers three levels of homeowners insurance: Good, Better and Best. The Good level policy is their standard policy and includes basic coverage options like dwelling, other structures, personal property, liability and additional living expenses. Homeowners can also opt for one of the two higher tiers, Better and Best homeowners insurance, or other optional add-ons:
- Better and Best policy levels. With these higher-level policy types, homeowners can get additional coverages as standard. Depending on state availability, these could include credit card coverage, guaranteed rebuild coverage, ID monitoring, ID theft expense reimbursement, scheduled personal property endorsements and water backup and sump overflow.
- Optional coverages. Some additional options can also be added to your policy for more customization. Among the many offerings, some unique additions offered by Plymouth Rock include Home Cyber, which protects you from cyber-attacks like online fraud and data breaches, and Home Systems Breakdown, which protects important equipment like furnaces, stoves and air conditioning units when they break down.
Cost of Plymouth Rock home insurance
The average cost of homeowners insurance in the United States is $1,312 per year for a policy with $250,000 in dwelling coverage. With those same policy options, Plymouth Rock’s average cost for home insurance is estimated to be $1,433 per year. It might not be the cheapest homeowners insurance company in the country, but individual rates may vary due to ZIP code (except in California and Michigan), your home’s age and location and other factors.
For those looking to save on their homeowners insurance policy, Plymouth Rock offers many discounts. Some are added automatically, like the new customer discount, which gets applied if you are new to Plymouth Rock, and the claims-free discount is added if you have not had a claim on your home insurance within the last five years.
Others can be added if you qualify. Plymouth Rock rewards homeowners who have upgraded their home to the latest security system or taken precautions against hazards with more discounts. While availability may vary by state, some of these discounts include:
- Connected Home Discount. This discount could apply if you use an internet-connected device to protect your home from theft, fire or water damage.
- Fire Protection Discount. If your home has a central fire monitoring system, automatic sprinklers or other qualifying devices, this could be added to your homeowners policy.
Plymouth Rock life insurance
Plymouth Rock offers term life insurance policies, but only to customers in New Jersey. Its website is light on details, but residents of the Garden State can call its customer service agents to learn more or to sign up.
Types of policies offered
Plymouth Rock only offers one type of life insurance:
- Term life (New Jersey only): Term life insurance is generally one of the cheaper types of life insurance, and is only valid for a predetermined period, typically 10, 20 or 30 years. If the insured dies during that period, the death benefit is paid in most circumstances. Unlike whole or permanent life insurance, term life insurance does not offer any cash value component.
The company’s website does not indicate whether its term life policies include any potential endorsements or conversion options.
Plymouth Rock ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Plymouth Rock has fewer reviews and ratings online than many providers but seems to have mostly positive feedback. However, it does fall below average in certain studies and third-party reviews.
The company has a strong financial rating from AM Best of A-, which means it has demonstrated an excellent ability to meet its insurance obligations. However, J.D. Power ranked Plymouth Rock Assurance at 827/1000 for the mid-Atlantic region in its 2021 auto insurance satisfaction study, which was below the regional average of 840/1000. Plymouth Rock has also not been rated by S&P.
Reasons Plymouth Rock insurance is a good option
Despite being a regional insurer serving only six states, Plymouth Rock is a strong carrier with competitive rates, comprehensive coverage options and several discounts. It also offers its customers a wide array of perks, like priority access to major sporting events.
However, its J.D. Power ranking is lower compared to other insurance companies in the same region, indicating that customers are not always satisfied with the service provided by Plymouth Rock.
Additional policies offered by Plymouth Rock
In addition to home, auto and term life insurance, Plymouth Rock expanded its insurance offerings to include:
- Commercial auto
- Boat & Watercraft
- Collector Car
- New Jersey teachers auto insurance
Frequently asked questions
How do I find cheaper auto insurance?
What you pay in car insurance premiums will depend on a range of factors, from the type of car to the coverage options. But comparing quotes and features from multiple insurers and taking advantage of discounts are some of the ways to get cheap car insurance.
What is the best car insurance company?
While Bankrate has done some research and determined our picks for the best car insurance companies, the best car insurance for you is one that takes into consideration your lifestyle, budget and needs. Knowing what you want from a company, whether it is an accessible mobile app, specialty coverages or discounts for young drivers can be a guide to finding the best car insurance for you. Experts recommend getting quotes from multiple companies to compare.
What are the important factors when choosing homeowners insurance?
Every homeowners insurance company offers something unique to its customers, but it’s a good idea to research multiple providers and shop around, with a focus on company reputation, customer service, claims process and amount of deductible. It might also be smart to speak with a licensed insurance professional to ensure your needs are being met for the best price.
Should I bundle home and auto insurance?
To reward customers for purchasing multiple policies, insurance companies often have a multiple policy discount. One of the best savings options is to bundle homeowners and auto insurance policies so that each policy receives a discount. When obtaining quotes, it may be a good idea to quote your homeowners and auto insurance policies at the same time to compare coverages and rates from different providers.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Bodily injury liability per person: $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.