Most luxury sports car owners know that part of owning a high performance car is proper maintenance and fine-tuning any issues at a trusted repair shop. However, the Audi A4 sets itself apart from the competition with unique features that make it one of the most reliable sports sedans on the market today.
These aspects of the Audi A4 are also factored into its car insurance cost. The average cost of full coverage car insurance is $1,674 per year, and the A4 is only slightly higher at around $2,000 per year. To find the best car insurance for your Audi A4, it can help to understand what contributes to car insurance rates and what your coverage needs are. This will help to ensure you have the best car insurance for your car and lifestyle.
Models included in this review:
This review focuses solely on the Audi A4 and its varying configurations, which starts at $39,100 for a 2021 base model. Rates included below for comparison purposes reflect quoted annual premiums for a 2019 Audi A4.
How much does it cost to insure an Audi A4?
As mentioned, the average cost of car insurance for an Audi A4 is $2,000 a year for full coverage. This figure — while based on quoted annual premiums provided by Quadrant Information Services— is useful for comparison, but will not reflect your actual rate. There are many factors that could affect your premiums, including the model year, trim level and optional equipment. Here are a few vehicle-related factors that could affect Audi A4 car insurance costs:
- Crash rate stats per make/model: The Audi A4 is an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Top Pick, receiving top scores. In addition, 2021 models that include optional safety equipment earned a “superior” rating from the IIHS. Its solid reputation as a safe vehicle in a crash may be a significant reason why insurance premiums for the Audi A4 are lower than average for the vehicle class.
- Price of parts: Audi is a German luxury-vehicle manufacturer. Parts tend to be pricier than average due to the import costs of parts. Because of this factor, rates may be higher for the Audi A4 compared to a 2019 Toyota Camry, for example, which is used in our Bankrate calculation of national average annual rates.
- Safety features: Part of the reason the Audi A4 received a high safety rating by the IIHS is the driver assistance and collision-prevention equipment available in newer models. Safety features include standard running daytime headlights and side-mounted, front and rear overhead curtain and driver/passenger knee air bags, as well as optional lane departure warning/prevention and blind-spot detectors.
Car insurance for a Audi A4
While it helps to be aware that your car insurance rates could vary based on personal and vehicle-related factors, the following rates may give you an overview of how much you could expect to pay for annual insurance for minimum and full coverage for an Audi A4.
Full coverage on an Audi A4 is higher than the national average, primarily because it reflects the repair and replacement costs of the vehicle. Audi original parts may be more expensive because they are imported, and in addition, certified technicians that specialize in luxury European models tend to charge higher fees for labor. This means that repairing an Audi after a crash or other covered peril could cost more than average.
|Audi A4 car insurance||Average annual premium|
Cheapest car insurance companies for Audi A4s
Finding cheaper rates for Audi A4 insurance comes down to comparing quotes and coverage options from providers in your area. You could also save on coverage if you choose the right carrier offering discounts you could qualify for.
The following five carriers are among the largest by market share, providing Audi A4 coverage nationwide. USAA is only available to military personnel and eligible family, but the rest of the insurance companies offer coverage to drivers of all ages and locations. Take a look at how the same level of insurance could vary based on the company you choose. While the national average for an Audi A4 sits at $2,000 a year for full coverage, the table below shows how widely this amount may vary by car insurance company. Based on our research, the top providers by market share all offered quoted premiums much lower than the national average for 2019 A4s.
Average annual premium for full coverage by model
Audi A4 features that impact insurance costs
The Audi A4 is an excellent, entry-level luxury sports sedan, based on reliability and high safety ratings that make car insurance more affordable for sports- or luxury-car enthusiasts. Some of the features that might help keep the cost of coverage low include:
- Standard daytime running lights: These improve A4 visibility to other drivers on the road.
- Side seat airbags: This helps reduce the possibility of serious injury in a side collision.
- Lane departure warning and prevention: These optional safety features alert you if you begin to drift due to drowsiness or other distractions before you collide with another vehicle or object. Lane departure prevention takes it one step further by preventing your A4 from drifting out or changing lanes.
- Adaptive cruise control: This safety feature maintains a preset distance between the Audi A4 and the vehicle in front of it. For drivers with commutes in congested traffic, this feature could help avoid an accident during rush hour.
- Top view camera system: All of the cameras on the Audi A4 work together to present a view of the car in relation to the environment around it. With this feature, drivers may be more aware of objects around them, especially in blind spots and other hard-to-see areas.
- Park assist: For drivers navigating tight parking spots, the park assist function could be a useful tool. This system helps steer the car while parking into a perpendicular or parallel space, although the driver will still control the Audi’s throttling and braking.
Other car insurance coverage for an Audi A4
Most states require car owners to maintain a minimum amount of car insurance on their vehicles, with set amounts for both bodily injury and property damage liability. Although this may result in cheap car insurance, it may not offer enough financial protection. If you were to get into an at-fault accident, any costs that the other party incurred would be paid up to the insurance limit, while the rest would be paid out-of-pocket.
For this reason, it can be worthwhile to consider purchasing higher limits for both liability coverage options. To protect yourself and your vehicle, you can also purchase medical payments (where available) as well as comprehensive and collision coverage. The latter two options may also be required if you lease or have a lien on your Audi A4 by your financial institution.
Other ways to further personalize your car insurance can be to add roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement and even gap coverage if you are purchasing your Audi A4 new from the dealer. Taking the time to ensure you have the right car insurance for your Audi 4 is one of the most beneficial ways to ensure you are protected every time you get behind the wheel.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our base profile drivers own a 2019 Audi A4, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should only be used for comparative purposes.