Best cheap homeowners insurance in Tucson
Half of the homes in Tucson, AZ, are owner-occupied. The state does not require owners to carry home insurance, but mortgage lenders usually do. The average home insurance rate in Tucson is $1,058 per year for $250,000 in dwelling coverage. Compared to the national average of $1,312 per year, homeowners insurance premiums in Tucson are cheaper. However, you may be able to save further by choosing the right carrier and taking advantage of available discounts.
Most major home insurance carriers provide coverage in Arizona. Figuring out which ones offer cheap home insurance rates in Tucson takes work. To simplify the process for you, Bankrate collected quotes from the best home insurance companies to bring you the best cheap home insurance companies in Tucson.
Best cheap home insurance companies Tucson
To narrow down the list of home insurance carriers, we compared premiums, discounts offered, coverage options and customer ratings. Our findings are averages of what you could expect to pay for coverage. To get a more accurate price, collect your own home insurance quotes to compare. Most carriers have an online quote tool that is simple to use and gives you pricing in just a few minutes.
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
*USAA is not eligible for official ranking with J.D. Power due to eligibility restrictions
For the cheapest home insurance and top-notch service, USAA cannot be beaten. However, only military personnel, veterans and family members can access the company’s home insurance. If you can qualify for membership, you will have access to affordable coverage that is designed to accommodate unique needs. Uniforms are covered for active military or deployed personnel. Home Sharing coverage can be added if you are renting a room in your home — or your entire house. And you can manage your policy entirely through the USAA app or by calling the customer service line.
Tucson has 110 communities of new home builds. If you live in a newer house or plan on buying one, Nationwide has discounts for residents of gated communities or those living in new construction homes. Unique discounts are one of the reasons Nationwide’s premiums are some of the lowest in Tucson. In addition to the discounts, options such as upgraded roof replacement, credit card coverage and replacement cost set Nationwide apart.
Getting quotes from several carriers to find the best coverage takes time. Progressive aims to simplify the process by offering the online Homequote Explorer tool, which gives you quotes from several carriers at the same time. Even if Progressive does not have the cheapest rates, they may still be a viable option. You can file a claim with Progressive online, using the mobile app or by calling the claims hotline. The Progressive mobile app has a snap-and-go feature that lets you take photos that are submitted automatically to your claims adjuster.
AAA provides affordable coverage to Tucson homeowners, even if they are not members of the club. You could get an additional discount if you are a member but it is not a requirement for coverage. AAA home insurance is best if you do not need more than a standard HO-3 policy. You will get the expected protection against perils such as fire, smoke, lightning, vandalism, theft, windstorms and more. However, AAA is short on optional coverages outside of personal property riders for higher-value items and flood insurance.
Do not let the name fool you — Auto-Owners insurance provides a solid home insurance product. Besides coverage that meets HO-3 standards, specialty coverages are available including equipment breakdown insurance that repairs or replaces your home’s appliances or systems, increased cost endorsement for an additional 25% of coverage in case your current limit is not enough and service line insurance for repairs to damaged underground service lines such as telecom, cable or electrical lines.
Tucson home insurance recommendations
Arizona does not mandate home insurance but the cost of coverage can provide you with hundreds of thousands of dollars in protection. Although a standard homeowners policy provides coverage for many common perils, there are some add-ons you may want to consider:
- Business equipment: If you work from home or keep part of your inventory, machinery or equipment on your property, you will need business coverage to protect your assets.
- Scheduled personal property: Insure collectibles, diamonds, fine watches and even guns individually for their full value with a scheduled personal property rider. Otherwise, your home insurance policy may not cover the full value of the items.
- Replacement cost: If your personal property is lost or damaged, replacement cost coverage authorizes replacement with a new version of the item. Otherwise, you would receive cash value, which is the cost of the item minus an amount based on its age and condition.
Home insurance discounts in Tucson
You can save on your home insurance coverage when you take advantage of carrier-exclusive discounts. Some of the more substantial discounts worth investigating are:
- Multiline: Buying home and car insurance with the same carrier could earn you a reduction of premiums for both. You will also simplify management and payment of your policies if they are both with the same carrier.
- Military: Members of the Armed Forces can earn a discount on home insurance. If a carrier does not advertise a military discount, ask for one.
- Protective devices: Installing deadbolts, smoke detectors or a home security system can reduce the risk of burglary, serious damage from fire and smoke and reduce your premiums.
- Autopay: Most carriers will discount your home insurance if you set up monthly electronic drafts to pay your premiums.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
The best home insurance company depends on your personal rating factors and what kind of coverage you are looking for. To find the best home insurance company for you, compare rates, available coverages, available discounts and customer satisfaction ratings.
How much does home insurance in Tucson cost?
Bankrate found that home insurance rates in Tucson average $1,058 per year for $250,000 of dwelling coverage. However, some carriers have significantly lower rates. USAA’s average premium in Tucson is $535 per year.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and homeriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.
Rates are determined based on 2020 Quadrant Information Services data.