Best cheap homeowners insurance in Scottsdale
Houses in Scottsdale, Arizona, tend to be expensive, but that has not stopped residents from purchasing property. The homeownership rate in Scottsdale is 65.9%, which is higher than the United States national average rate of 63.9%. Scottsdale homeowners insurance costs an average of $1,235 per year for a policy with $250K in dwelling coverage.
Dozens of home insurance companies serve homeowners in Scottsdale and the surrounding areas. To help you find the best home insurance in Scottsdale, we reviewed some of the biggest providers using criteria like average price, coverage options and discounts.
Best cheap home insurance companies Scottsdale
The results of our in-depth provider comparison showed that USAA, Progressive, Nationwide, AAA and Auto-Owners have the best homeowners insurance in Scottsdale. These insurance companies stand out for their affordable premiums based on 2021 rate data, generous discounts, reliable coverages and strong financial ratings.
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
USAA sells home insurance to military personnel and their eligible immediate family members. Scottsdale homeowners who qualify for USAA can take advantage of the company’s low rates, great customer service and comprehensive coverage. USAA’s standard home insurance policies cover the basics, plus earthquake damage and military uniforms. Scottsdale homeowners can save money with USAA’s discounts, which include savings for bundling your policies, being claims-free and having a home security system.
Learn more: USAA Insurance review
Progressive is one of the most popular home insurance companies. Scottsdale homeowners can get cheap coverage and save extra money with discounts, like getting a quote in advance, installing a home security system, insuring a new home, paying in full and bundling a home and auto policy. We also like that Progressive offers helpful online resources, like the HomeQuote Explorer tool, which allows you to compare Progressive’s rates to competitors. The only downside to Progressive is that the coverage is somewhat limited.
Learn more: Progressive Insurance review
Nationwide is our top recommendation for Scottsdale homeowners who want to customize their coverage with endorsements. You can add earthquake insurance, flood insurance, replacement cost plus coverage, better roof replacement coverage, brand new belongings coverage and credit card coverage for more protection. Nationwide’s home insurance policies are affordable on average, and you may be able to take advantage of discounts for being claims-free, having a new roof, insuring a new house, living in a gated community and a few others.
Learn more: Nationwide Insurance review
Most people know AAA for its roadside assistance program, but the company also sells a variety of insurance products, including home insurance. AAA home insurance is cheap and there are tons of discounts, including savings for being a AAA member, being a retired homeowner, having no prior insurance claims, bundling policies, insuring a newly purchased home and having a newly replaced roof. In terms of coverage, AAA has all the standard options, plus endorsements for earthquake, flood, umbrella and scheduled personal property coverage.
Learn more: AAA Insurance review
Auto-Owners is the most expensive provider in Scottsdale that we reviewed, but the higher premium may be worth it for some people. Auto-Owners is highly rated for overall customer satisfaction, and the company has a long list of endorsements. You can customize your policy with ordinance/law coverage, water backup/sump pump coverage, equipment breakdown insurance, guaranteed replacement cost coverage. Auto-Owners also has discounts, with potential savings for being claims-free, enrolling in paperless statements and having an automatic backup generator, among others.
Learn more: Auto-Owners Insurance review
Scottsdale home insurance options
Scottsdale homeowners are not legally required to carry home insurance, but your mortgage lender requires it as part of your loan agreement. However, purchasing home insurance is a smart investment. Without home insurance, you are financially responsible for repairing or rebuilding your home after a major incident. Here are some of the coverages that Scottsdale homeowners should consider getting:
- Scheduled personal property coverage: If you keep valuable items in your home, such as jewelry, fine art, collections or money, having scheduled personal property coverage can come in handy. This policy will raise your coverage limit for specific valuable items and will pay to repair or replace them in the event of a covered claim.
- Earthquake insurance: Earthquakes can happen in Scottsdale, so purchasing earthquake insurance is a smart idea, especially because regular home insurance policies do not cover earthquakes. Having a separate earthquake insurance policy will protect your home and personal items in the event of an earthquake.
- Flood insurance: Although Scottsdale is located on the edge of the desert, flooding does occur. Standard home insurance excludes flood damage, so a separate flood insurance policy can provide added peace of mind in the event of a major storm or flash flood.
Home insurance discounts in Scottsdale
A good way to get cheap home insurance in Scottsdale is by looking for insurance companies that offer discounts. The more discounts you can take advantage of, the more money you can save on your premium. Here are some of the home insurance discounts you may find in Scottsdale:
- New home discount: Many home insurance companies offer a lower premium to homeowners who insure a newly purchased or newly constructed house.
- Pay in full discount: If you pay your annual premium upfront and in full, you can probably save some money on your premium.
- Claims-free discount: Homeowners who have no prior insurance claims on their record usually qualify for a discounted rate.
- Retired homeowner discount: If you are a retired homeowner and meet certain age requirements, some home insurance companies will give you a lower rate.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
The best home insurance company is different for every homeowner. The only way to find the best home insurance company for you is to shop around and compare quotes from a few providers.
How much does home insurance in Scottsdale cost?
The average cost of home insurance in Scottsdale is $1,235 per year for a policy with $250K in dwelling coverage. However, every homeowner pays a different rate for home insurance based on personal factors like age, credit score and claims history.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.