- Rewards rate: 2X AAdvantage miles per dollar spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, 2X AAdvantage miles per dollar spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and gas stations and 1X AAdvantage mile per dollar on all other purchases
- Welcome offer: Earn 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of account opening
- Annual fee: $0 intro for the first year, then $99
- Purchase intro APR: N/A
- Balance transfer intro APR: N/A
- Regular APR: 21.24 percent to 29.99 percent (variable)
Current welcome offer
It’s obvious that this card’s most attractive benefits are primarily designed for business travelers who are frequent flyers. Cardholders kick things off by earning 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 within the first four months of account opening. Bankrate’s recent valuations estimate that AAdvantage miles are 1 cent each, making this sign-up bonus worth $650.
Cardholders earn 2 miles per dollar on certain business-related categories, including telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and gas stations, as well as eligible purchases made through American Airlines. All other purchases earn 1 mile per dollar.
How you earn
Giving employees their own cards allows you to earn from their purchases in addition to your own. Your rewards towards future airline flights could accumulate quickly if you frequently use internet, telephone, cable and satellite services as well as car rental and gas station services for on-the-road travel. This card, however, does not allow you to receive Loyalty Points toward American Airlines elite status, unlike the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, for example.
Cardholders should also be aware that hotels, shipping, and office supplies are excluded from the rewards program and earn just 1 mile per dollar spent, so if these are your primary spending categories, you might want to pair this card with a more general business rewards card, such as the Capital One Spark Miles for Business card, which allows cardholders to earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase with no limits or category restrictions.
How to redeem rewards
To redeem miles, go to the American Airlines website, log into your AAdvantage account and book your travel. Citi AAdvantage cardholders also are eligible to redeem their accrued miles for reduced mileage awards when available.