USAA Insurance is known for its service to the military community and their families. Whether you’re active or former military, an eligible family member, a cadet or midshipman, USAA is available to serve you and your insurance needs. USAA reviews are generally excellent, indicating a company that cares about its products.
If you are a member of the military community, USAA should be your first stop when you are searching for insurance. The company consistently ranks at the top of lists created by consumer watchdog organizations like J.D. Power and Consumer Reports.
USAA also offers a vibrant online community for its members, which offers help and support, financial advice and a great place to find out what’s happening with others in the military world. The online community currently has more than 614,000 members and is growing daily.
USAA car insurance
Customers save an average of $707 when they switch to USAA auto insurance. But that’s not the only reason to consider switching. The company also offers coverage tailored for those who are on active duty or have military concerns.
- Vehicle protection: Protect your car with comprehensive coverage and collision coverage, which covers damage from rollover or accident.
- Finance protection: Liability coverage protects you financially if you are the cause of the accident and includes bodily injury and property damage.
- Passenger protection: These may be mandatory or optional add-ons, depending on your state requirements and your priorities. This protection includes personal injury protection, extended benefits coverage and uninsured/underinsured coverage.
- Other protection: Your USAA insurance quote can also include roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and accident forgiveness.
- Defensive driving course discounts: If you take a certified defensive driving course, you may qualify for a discount.
- Safe driver: If you maintain a good driving record for more than five years.
- Driver training: For those under the age of 21 who complete a basic driver training course.
- New vehicle: If your car is less than three years old.
- Multi-vehicle: A discount if you insure more than one car with the company.
- Vehicle storage: Save up to 60% if you store your car while you’re on duty.
- Military installation discount: Save up to 15% if you garage your vehicle on base.
- Good student: For those still in school who maintain good grades.
- Loyalty discounts: If you remain with USAA insurance for a certain length of time, you can receive a discount.
- Multi-policy discounts: Talk to USAA insurance customer service about combining your auto policy with another policy for potential discounts.
- Accident-free discounts: If you’re a safe driver with an accident-free record, your USAA insurance policy may be discounted.
- Length of membership: The longer you’re a USAA customer, the more money you can save.
USAA home insurance
Your USAA homeowners policy focuses on two areas: liability, which is your legal responsibility when someone is hurt on your property, and dwelling coverage, or hazard coverage, which would pay to repair your home in the event of a named peril. You may also have coverage for medical costs, as well as optional coverage that you may choose when customizing your policy, such as flood insurance.
- Fire: This would include damage from smoke, which is common after a fire, and lightning damage.
- Theft: Includes someone breaking into your house, or stealing items from your garage or property, such as bikes or sports equipment.
- Vandalism: If your home is purposely defaced or destroyed in any way by another person or persons then this coverage will protect you.
- Most weather-related events: This includes damage from wind storms, snow, hail and freezing weather, but not flooding, which requires a separate policy. If you are in an area that sees hurricanes, your policy would cover you from damage caused by hurricane winds but not the subsequent flooding, unless you had additional coverage
- Liability: This covers you against lawsuits brought by someone who was injured on your property. It may help pay medical bills, also, as well as lost wages, death benefits and more, depending on your policy. Note that it includes dog bites, and you may see an increase in your premium if you own a dog breed that is thought to be aggressive, such as a pit bull.
- Identity theft coverage: This type of coverage is becoming increasingly common as the incidents of hackers highjacking individuals’ identities increases. This may cover legal costs or other costs related to rebuilding your credit and reestablishing your financial stability.
- Home sharing coverage: If you rent your home through a sharing platform, like Airbnb, USAA offers home sharing coverage to protect your guests during their stay.
- Earthquake coverage: Homeowners who live in states with a risk of earthquakes can buy earthquake coverage from USAA.
- Replacement cost: With USAA home insurance, your home and personal belongings are covered at today’s replacement cost, without depreciation.
- Loyalty discounts: As with auto insurance, if you remain with USAA insurance for a certain number of years, you can receive a discount.
- Protective device: If you have burglar or other alarm systems installed by USAA-partner ADT Home Security Systems, you can earn a discount.
- Claims-free: If you make no claims for five or more years, earn up to 10% off your premium.
- Multi-policy discounts: Talk to USAA insurance customer service about combining your home policy with another policy, like auto insurance, for potential discounts.
USAA renters insurance
Renters insurance is similar to homeowners insurance in some ways, but you don’t need dwelling insurance — your landlord will have a policy that protects the structure of the building from named perils. Your policy will protect you from lawsuits and guard against loss of personal belongings in a disaster.
- Liability: Covers costs if someone is injured while in your apartment. This coverage protects your assets from lawsuits, up to the limit of coverage.
- Personal items: This covers everything from your furniture to your clothing to the curtains on your windows. USAA estimates that an average two-bedroom apartment needs $20,000 in personal belongings coverage.
- Floods and earthquakes: Unlike most renters insurance policies, flood and earthquake coverage is automatically included with USAA renters insurance policies.
- Replacement cost coverage: USAA covers your personal belongings at their replacement cost value.
- Multi-policy: Bundle your renters insurance and save money on your premium.
- Claims-free: If you make no claim on your policy for five or more years.
- Protective device: For smoke alarms and monitored security systems.
USAA life insurance
Life insurance allows you to financial support your loved ones or heirs after your death. It can be used to replace income, pay for funeral expenses or cover unpaid debts. USAA offers a few options for life insurance, as well as military-specific protection for those deploying, actively serving or leaving the military.
- Term life insurance: USAA’s term life insurance offers coverage for up to 30 years. You can convert your term policy to permanent coverage whenever you want to. Active duty military can also access benefits, like coverage during war, $25,000 for severe injury expenses and guaranteed coverage after leaving the military.
- Simplified whole life insurance: Simplified whole life insurance includes coverage for your lifetime and builds cash value overtime. Your premium never changes, and there’s guaranteed growth. You can also decide how often you make payments–for 20 years, until age 65 or for your lifetime.
- Universal life insurance: Universal life insurance also provides lifetime coverage, but you can control how much you pay in premiums. It comes with a cash value component that grows tax-deferred, which means your monthly rate could decrease as your cash value accumulates. You can even pull out that money and use it in case of emergency.
USAA ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
|Rating organization||USAA rating|
|J.D. Power 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study||5/5 stars (all regions)|
|J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Home Insurance Study||5/5 stars|
|J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Renters Insurance Study||5/5 stars|
|Better Business Bureau||B+|
In J.D. Power’s insurance studies, USAA is consistently the highest-rated company. However, USAA isn’t included as part of the main rankings because it is limited to military families. J.D. Power’s auto, home and renters insurance studies rank the best insurance providers based on overall satisfaction, using real reviews from customers.
USAA insurance reviews were also good at Consumer Reports’ listing of Best Car Insurance Companies, and it’s in second place for Best Homeowners Insurance Companies. All this points toward a solid, professional staff that is able to handle customer needs quickly and accurately.
The Better Business Bureau rated USAA Insurance a B+, with over 1,000 customers rating it an approximate average of 1.25 out of 5 stars. Many of the customer reviews come from loyal customers who had complaints about USAA insurance customer service when they needed it most. So, while J.D. Power positions USAA as the top insurance company in most categories, some customers feel otherwise, which is not unusual with insurance providers.
Reasons why USAA is a great option
USAA is definitely not an insurance for everyone, especially since the company specifically serves only military, its families and the military community. However, for those who fit the target audience, it can be a great option for auto, home, renters and life insurance, as well as the other policies offered by USAA.
For those who are technology-savvy, USAA insurance is a great option thanks to their mobile app that makes it simple to file a claim quickly, pay bills with ease and more. If you plan to have multiple policies, especially auto and home insurance, you may be eligible for a USAA insurance discount for bundling policies. And if you choose USAA insurance and stick with the company for years, the loyalty discount could really save you money in the long run.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), the national average rate for auto insurance is $1,004.58, and your USAA insurance quote could be even less. Like auto insurance, an insurance quote for home insurance will vary greatly, depending on the coverage you want. The average homeowners insurance quote according to the III will cost you $1,211, but factors such as your zip code, credit score, age and more will affect your actual premium cost. The same goes for renters insurance, which costs just $180 per year on average.
If you’re considering a life insurance policy, USAA has some good offerings, but fewer policies than other companies. If you’re an active duty military member, USAA’s life insurance policies have some great perks, like coverage during war and coverage for severe injury expenses. Compared to some other life insurance providers, USAA’s coverage is pretty affordable.
Additional policies offered by USAA
In addition to home and auto insurance, USAA also offers insurance policies for the following:
- Rental property insurance
- Valuable personal property insurance
- Condo insurance
- Flood insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Motorcycle, RV and boat insurance
- Small business insurance
Frequently asked questions
How do I file USAA Insurance claims?
You can file USAA Insurance claims online through their claims portal.
Who is eligible for USAA?
To get a quote from USAA, you’ll need to qualify – USAA only provides service to current and honorably discharged U.S. military members and their eligible family members. You may also apply for a policy if you are a cadet or midshipman at a U.S. service academy, participating in advanced ROTC or on an ROTC scholarship, or an officer candidate within 24 months of commissioning.