With over 2.6 million licensed drivers in the state of Connecticut, you can’t completely control your safety on the road. Accidents happen, which is why you need the best car insurance in Connecticut. If you’re looking for the most affordable Connecticut insurance rates, shopping around is essential.
There are a number of variables to consider when searching for cheap car insurance companies in Connecticut, including:
- Minimum car insurance requirements in Connecticut
- Your age, marital status and car make will all impact your quote
Here is how to find the auto insurance you need.
The top car insurance companies in Connecticut
According to the experts at J.D. Power, these are the best insurance companies in Connecticut with the best rates and highest customer satisfaction ratings in New England, including Connecticut.
|Amica Mutual||State Farm||Geico||Progressive||The Hanover|
At the top of the rankings is Amica Mutual, with 863 points out of 1,000 for its excellent customer service. Amica Mutual is unique among the top insurance companies in Connecticut. You can buy a standard auto insurance policy and take advantage of a number of discounts to save, or you can choose Amica’s auto insurance dividend policy, which pays you back up to 20 percent of your premium each year.
State Farm is the largest insurer in the United States and second-highest in the rankings with 855 points. You’ll have options when it’s time to cover your vehicles. State Farm provides liability, comprehensive, collision and even rideshare auto insurance for gig workers who drive for Uber or Lyft.
If you’re looking to save money, have Geico on your list of auto insurance companies in Connecticut to get a quote from. The nationwide insurance company has a variety of discounts available that could save you as much as 25% on your premiums.
Progressive may have 819 points, but it came in fourth. The company claims that new customers will save an average of $750 on their car insurance when they switch. Getting a quote to decide if it’s the best auto insurance in Connecticut takes just a couple of minutes when you use the online quote tool.
The Hanover completes the top five carriers for best car insurance in Connecticut with 816 points out of 1,000. You’ll find the usual list of available coverages, but The Hanover takes it one step further by bundling extras into four packages: Platinum Auto Elite, Platinum Auto Advantage, Platinum Auto Essential and Prestige.
Average cost of car insurance in Connecticut
Connecticut drivers pay an average of $891 for the minimum-required state insurance and $2,036 for full coverage. Remember that this rate will vary depending on factors such as your age, driving record and credit history.
|Type of Driver||Average cost of car insurance/year in Connecticut|
|After an accident||$3,309|
|After one speeding ticket||$2,316|
State minimum insurance requirements in Connecticut
Connecticut laws that outline the minimum insurance you must have to legally operate a vehicle within the state. Here are the requirements:
- Bodily injury liability: If you are at fault for a car accident that caused injury to another person, bodily injury liability is the coverage that covers their medical expenses and lost income. Unless specified otherwise in your contract, this does not cover any injuries you sustain.
- Minimum bodily injury coverage requirement in Connecticut: Connecticut requires $20,000 bodily injury per person per accident and $50,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
- Property damage liability: If you are at fault for a car accident that caused damage to another person’s vehicle or property (such as a fence or building), property damage liability coverage is used to cover these damages. Unless specified otherwise in your contract, this does not cover damage to your vehicle.
- Minimum property damage liability coverage requirement in Connecticut: Connecticut requires at least $25,000 in property damage liability.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: If you’re injured or your car is damaged in an accident due to the fault of an uninsured driver, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is used to help pay your medical expenses and vehicle damage.
- Minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage requirement in Connecticut: You have to have at least $25,000/$50,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Car insurance discounts in Connecticut
There are a variety of ways to qualify for insurance discounts in Connecticut:
Education and good grade discounts
If you complete a driver’s education course in Connecticut, you could be eligible to receive a discount of 5 percent or more depending on the insurance provider. Some companies also offer discounts of up to 16 percent for college students who meet a minimum GPA.
Insurance policy bundles
If you purchase more than one type of policy from an insurance provider, it might offer you a discount on all premiums.
Annual mileage discounts
The less you drive, the lower your risk of an accident. That’s why many auto insurance companies offer a discount on premiums for car owners who drive less than a specified number of miles annually (usually below 15,000).
Frequently asked questions
What is the best car insurance in Connecticut?
On average, Geico and Progressive offer the cheapest and best auto insurance in Connecticut. When shopping providers, these quotes may vary depending on your age, driving record and other personal information.
What information is needed in order to get car insurance in Connecticut?
You will need to provide all of your personal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card and driver’s license to get Connecticut insurance for your car. If you’re insuring other drivers under your policy, you’ll also need to show their licenses. Of course, you will need to provide information about your vehicle, including registration and an existing declaration page.
What should I look for in a car insurance provider?
Consider the types of drivers you will insure under your policy. For instance, if you have student drivers at home, you might want to consider State Farm due to the discount programs they offer for students.
How long does it take to receive a Connecticut insurance quote?
This varies according to the provider. Once you fill out an online application for most insurance providers, you should receive a quote within a few minutes.