The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
- Through a partnership with Amazon, you can use your Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards credit card rewards instead of cash at this online retail giant.
- Simply log in to your Amazon account to enroll your card and indicate your payment as Capital One rewards.
- It's a convenient way to cover holiday shopping without adding to your card debt.
You’ve heard Samuel L. Jackson extol the virtues of the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card in those infamous ads. They include 1.5 percent cash back, no annual fee and a $200 welcome bonus when you spend $500 within the first three months of account opening. But the Quicksilver Cash Rewards card has another feature that isn’t as well known but could be valuable: The ability to use rewards directly with Amazon.
Amazon’s Shop with Points feature lets you redeem Capital One rewards toward purchases at checkout. With the holiday shopping season in full swing, many consumers are exploring ways to save on gifts and essential purchases. After all, it’s the time of year when we tend to put the biggest dent on our wallets, and these may be able to make that dent a little smaller.
So, what is Shop with Points, and how can you leverage your Capital One Quicksilver card’s rewards to save on Amazon purchases? Here’s what to know about this partnership.
How to use Capital One Quicksilver rewards on Amazon
Using your rewards from the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards card on Amazon is fairly straightforward: You enroll your credit card in Shop with Points, and then you choose to automatically apply your rewards to every Amazon purchase.
Here are 5 steps to redeeming Capital One Quicksilver rewards on Amazon:
- Log in to your Amazon account and enroll your Capital One credit card.
- On the setup page, select whether you want your Capital One rewards automatically applied as payment for Amazon purchases. This can be convenient if you anticipate you’ll use your Capital One rewards for Amazon purchases often.
- Add an eligible item to your cart, and when you’re ready to check out, select your Capital One Quicksilver card from the list of payment options.
- Check the Use Capital One Rewards box. You’ll either see the amount of available rewards or, if you’re using a card that earns points rather than cash back, you’ll see your total points along with a corresponding cash value for Amazon purchases.
- Check out as usual — and enjoy having one less item to pay for out of pocket.
How much are Capital One rewards worth when you redeem for Amazon purchases?
The cash back earned on your Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is worth exactly the same amount for Amazon purchases. So if you have $20 in cash back, you can apply that toward $20 in eligible Amazon purchases.
Rather than charging an item to your Quicksilver card and then requesting a statement credit, you can apply your cash back directly to your Amazon purchase. This is especially convenient for those who shop at Amazon frequently and like a low credit card balance.
Can I earn points for shopping on Amazon?
Yes. You earn 1.5 percent cash back when using your Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card for Amazon purchases.
But you won’t earn points when you redeem rewards through Shop with Points. That’s because you’re not charging the amount to your credit card — Capital One is letting you redeem rewards for your purchases, rather than charging your card.
What purchases are eligible for Capital One Shop with Points?
Most Amazon purchases are eligible for Shop with Points redemptions through Capital One.
What purchases aren’t eligible for Shop with Points?
Restricted categories you should be aware of that are not eligible include:
- Amazon Appstore apps
- Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market
- Amazon Kindle eBooks
- Cellphones with service
- Digital music
- Digital Downloads like Apple Care
- Items ordered through Buy Now or 1-Click
- Prime memberships like Hilton Honors
- Prime Video titles
- Subscribe & Save items
- Textbook rentals
Other Capital One cards eligible for Amazon Shop with Points
Capital One’s partnership with Amazon Shop with Points extends beyond the Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card. Other Capital One credit card rewards you can use at Amazon include Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card and Capital One Spark Miles for Business.
The bottom line
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is a good choice if you want a no-annual-fee card with a simple earning and redemption structure. Earning 1.5 percent cash back on all purchases is straightforward in a world of rotating bonus categories and spending incentives. The ability to use cash back rewards directly on Amazon purchases adds even more convenience and ease to the card.
With so many people shopping at Amazon year-round, you can use your cash back rewards to cover your expenses without dipping into your monthly budget, helping to keep your credit card spending down. Less spending means a lower credit utilization ratio and a stronger credit score.