Best business gas credit cards for 2023
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Business gas credit cards come with numerous benefits, including the rewards they offer each time you fuel up. Gas cards for businesses also make it convenient for small-business owners to track gas spending and avoid reimbursements while gaining valuable consumer protections along the way.
Which business gas credit cards are the best? While several top business credit cards made our ranking, we took extra steps to highlight business gas cards with the best rewards and perks below.
Ink Business Cash Credit Card: Best welcome bonus
- Welcome bonus: $750 bonus cash back when you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first three months
- Rewards: 5 percent cash back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores, internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year; 2 percent back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year; 1 percent back on everything else
- Annual fee: $0
The Ink Business Cash® Credit Card stands out as one of the best gas cards for business due to the fact you can get 2 percent back on the first $25,000 in combined spending at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary year (then 1 percent back). Meanwhile, you can earn a very generous bonus of $750 bonus cash when you spend $6,000 on your card within the first three months of account opening.
There’s no annual fee, and you’ll even qualify for an introductory 0 percent APR on purchases for 12 months, followed by a variable APR of 17.74 percent to 23.74 percent. Business owners can also get free cards for their employees, which can make it easier for larger teams to cover gas purchases while they’re out in the field.
As an added bonus, Ink Business Cash Card benefits include primary auto rental collision coverage when you rent a car for business, purchase protection, extended warranties, travel and emergency assistance services and roadside dispatch.
American Express Business Gold Card: Best for flexible travel rewards
- Welcome bonus: 70,000 points after spending $10,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership (terms apply)
- Rewards: 4X points on up to $150,000 per year in two select categories your business spends the most in each billing cycle; 2X points on rental cars booked through AmexTravel.com
- Annual fee: $295
The American Express® Business Gold Card stands out due to the fact you can earn flexible rewards points in the American Express Membership Rewards program. This type of rewards currency can be redeemed for travel directly through Amex or with Amex travel partners, as well as gift cards, merchandise and more.
You also get the chance to earn 4X points in two categories your business spends the most in, which can really benefit those who spend a lot at U.S. gas stations. The categories you can earn 4X points in each year include: U.S. gas stations; U.S. purchases for advertising in select media (online, TV, radio); airfare purchased directly from airlines; U.S. restaurants; U.S. purchases made directly from select technology providers of computer hardware, software and cloud solutions; and U.S. purchases for shipping. The 4X rate applies to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from two of these categories each calendar year, then 1X points.
A $295 annual fee applies, but you’ll get benefits like purchase protection, extended warranties on eligible items and no foreign transaction fees.
American Express Blue Business Cash Card: Best for cash back
- Welcome bonus: $250 statement credit after you make $3,000 in purchases in your first three months
- Rewards: 2 percent cash back on the first $50,000 your business spends each year on eligible purchases, then 1 percent back
- Annual fee: $0
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is also worth considering if you want to earn cash back and save money on interest for a limited time. This card lets you rack up a flat 2 percent cash back on the first $50,000 you spend on eligible purchases each year, after which you’ll earn 1 percent back.
Notably, the Amex Blue Business Cash also offers an introductory 0 percent APR on purchases for 12 months, followed by a variable APR of 17.99 percent to 25.99 percent. Having a full year without any interest can help you finance supplies or gas spending or even spread out payments on a large purchase.
This card doesn’t charge an annual fee, and you’ll get perks like a Global Assist Hotline, purchase protection against damage or theft and extended warranties.
Spark 1% Classic: Best for fair credit
- Welcome bonus: None
- Rewards: Unlimited 1 percent back on all purchases
- Annual fee: $0
If you’re a business owner with fair credit (a FICO score between 580 to 669), you may not get approved for the other business gas cards on our list. However, the Spark 1% Classic* is specifically designed for business owners whose credit is less than stellar.
This card doesn’t charge an annual fee, and you’ll earn a flat 1 percent cash back on each dollar you spend. You’ll also get free employee cards and benefits like no foreign transaction fees and roadside assistance.
Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card by Citi: Best for businesses that buy bulk supplies
- Welcome bonus: None
- Rewards: 4 percent cash back on eligible gas and EV charging purchases (for the first $7,000 per year, then 1 percent); 3 percent back on restaurant and eligible travel purchases; 2 percent back on all Costco and Costco.com purchases; 1 percent back on all other purchases
- Annual fee: $0 (with a paid Costco membership)
If you already pay for a membership with Costco, you should consider the Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi*. This card makes it easy to stock up on bulk supplies and earn significant rewards on gas purchases worldwide (up to a limit), yet you’ll also earn generous rewards in categories like dining and travel.
There’s no annual fee, and you’ll get benefits like no foreign transaction fees.
How to choose the right gas card for your business
There are quite a few factors to consider before you sign up for a gas credit card for business, and some of them will vary based on the type of business you’re in. If you need a gas card for business just to make it convenient for your employees to fuel up, you’ll probably look at a different set of business gas cards than someone who owns a trucking company, for example.
Either way, here are the factors you’ll want to keep in mind as you decide:
- Type of rewards offered: Make sure any business gas card you’re considering offers the type of rewards you want, whether you prefer flexible travel points or basic cash back.
- Rewards caps or limits: Take note that many of the business gas cards we profiled offer bonus rewards only on gas purchases up to annual limits. If your business spends a lot on gas each year, you should keep these limits in mind.
- Annual fees: Some business cards for gas charge annual fees that can eat away at your rewards. Make sure to weigh the pros and cons of paying an annual fee before you choose a business card that charges one.
- Free employee cards: If your business has employees, you’ll want a card that enables you to get free employee cards.
- Cardholder benefits: Finally, look for business cards that offer the perks you want. Major benefits to watch for include purchase protection, extended warranties, auto rental coverage and more.
Business gas credit cards vs. fleet fuel cards
While the gas cards for business on our list are good ones, you may want to look into fleet fuel cards if you own a transportation company with a lot of employees. While fleet fuel cards don’t offer the same type of rewards and benefits as traditional business credit cards do, they make it easy for companies with a “fleet” of vehicles to manage and oversee all their gas spending.
Another difference in fleet fuel cards is the fact that, generally speaking, these cards are only good for a specific network of gas stations and repair shops, such as Shell or BP. Fleet fuel cards also offer more robust expense tracking and employee expense management tools that can be important if you have a lot of gas spending and workers to keep track of.
The bottom line
The best fuel cards for business come with rewards programs and cardholder perks you can take advantage of. With that in mind, you should take the time to compare some of the gas cards for business on this list to the best business credit cards out there today.
Meanwhile, also take the time to explore gas rewards programs that let you “double-dip” on rewards when you fuel up within specific gas station networks.
*The information about the Spark 1% Classic and Costco Anywhere Visa® Business Card by Citi has been collected independently by Bankrate.com. The card details have not been reviewed or approved by the card issuer.