Less than half of the citizens in Santa Ana own their own home, and homeowners insurance costs in Santa Ana also fall below the national average. A homeowner in Santa Ana pays an average rate of $1,010 annually for a $250,000 dwelling coverage policy, compared to the U.S. average of $1,312 annually.
Choosing the best cheap home insurance in Santa Ana is based on more than rates alone. Reviewing a carrier for its customer service ratings, financial strength, coverage options and discounts are all equally important, and Bankrate has put together this information to find some of the top options.
Best cheap home insurance companies Santa Ana
Our editorial team evaluated the best cheap home insurance companies Santa Ana has by examining average 2021 rate data from Quadrant Information Services, 2020 J.D. Power & Associates customer satisfaction scores, coverage options, available discounts, accessibility and online tools. These five providers topped our lists for both price and quality of services.
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
Mercury homeowners insurance is not included in the 2020 JD Power study, but the company does earn an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You will find a long list of coverage options with Mercury, ranging from the standard dwelling and liability coverage to extended replacement cost and identity theft coverage. Mercury also earns an A+ rating with AM Best, highlighting its financial strength and ability to pay out claims.
Learn more: Mercury Insurance review
Not only is State Farm the number one provider of homeowners insurance in the country, but it also offers a plentiful amount of coverage options and discounts. Coverages such as liability, dwelling and high-value items are all available through State Farm. If you are looking for discounts, State Farm offers multi-policy, roofing, safety equipment to name a few available. Plus, State Farm has financial strength with a Superior A++ rating from AM Best to showcase its strong financial condition.
Learn more: State Farm Insurance review
USAA offers current servicemembers and veterans, plus their eligible immediate family members, a wide range of homeowners policy options. Policies include the standard coverages you would expect, such as dwelling and liability, but offers additional protections not always available with other carriers. Options such as identity theft and home-sharing coverage are available to policyholders for a more comprehensive plan. Plus USAA has the highest rating with the 2020 J.D. Power study, with 889 out of 1,000 possible points, further emphasizing the strong customer ratings.
Learn more: USAA Insurance review
Progressive may not have the highest score on the J.D. Power list, but it does offer a wide range of standard coverages, plus options to round out your policy. Choices such as water backup, personal injury and loss of use are ways to customize your policy further. Discounts are offered too, such as paperless statements, bundling and receiving your quote in advance are all ways to lower your premiums through Progressive.
Learn more: Progressive Insurance review
Travelers may have the most expensive premiums on this list but the New York-based insurance carrier still offers competitive rates below the average for Santa Ana. Travelers also offers complete homeowners insurance policy options and discounts for maximum savings. Plus the Superior A++ Rating with AM Best makes it one of the most financially strong carriers available.
Learn more: Travelers Insurance review
Santa Ana home insurance options
Unlike auto insurance, homeowners insurance in Santa Ana is not legally required. However, most lenders require you to purchase a policy if you are financing your home, and a thorough policy does provide additional protection for what is likely your biggest investment. Santa Ana residents may want to consider additional coverage options, such as:
- Wildfire: California is the top state in the country at risk for wildfires. Damage to the structure of your home should be covered by a homeowners policy, but you should be aware of any restrictions with insurance and wildfires in California.
- Scheduled personal property coverage: This is extra coverage for your high-value items that are listed separately from the regular items a standard policy would cover. Examples of scheduled personal property coverage are jewelry, art or antiques and other high-value pieces.
- Water backup: This optional coverage provides additional financial protection if your sewer lines are backed up or your sump pump does not operate properly and causes damage to your home.
Home insurance discounts in Santa Ana
Although homeowners insurance in Santa Ana is lower than the national average, it still pays to review all available discounts to ensure you are getting the best rate possible. Fortunately, there are a wide range of discounts that may be available for homeowners, including:
- Safety equipment/monitored systems: Alarm systems, fire alarms and smoke detectors are all examples of equipment and services that may help lower your premiums. Other items, such as fire extinguishers and gas leak detectors, are other examples of equipment that might result in lower premiums.
- Multi-policy/bundling: If you already purchase an insurance product through a carrier, such as an auto insurance policy, by adding on a homeowners policy you likely qualify for a bundling discount.
- New home: If you have purchased a new construction home (built within the last 12 months) then you might qualify for a new home discount.
Saving on homeowners insurance in Santa Ana is often possible with a little bit of research. In addition to these discount options, comparing rates of several carriers is another great way to save on premiums. Rates may vary tremendously from one company to another, so comparing multiple options ensures you are getting the best rate and coverage for your budget.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
The best home insurance company is determined by you and depends on what is most valuable to you as a homeowner. If you prefer strong customer service ratings, financial strength, a variety of coverage options and discounts, then you can choose the best based on what appeals to you.
How much does home insurance in Santa Ana cost?
The average cost of home insurance in Santa Ana is $1,010 per year for $250,000 in dwelling coverage. However, the rate you pay for homeowners insurance is unique and depends on a wide variety of factors including the zip code, age of home, coverage options and the eligibility of discounts.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.