In 1928, Farmers Insurance began selling insurance to farmers to cover farm vehicles. Since then, customers have been trusting Farmers to cover their most valuable assets. Today, the company offers a broad suite of insurance products, and is well known for their wide network and excellent disaster response.
Given Farmers’ longstanding history and expertise in the insurance industry, this insurance company is a great choice for customers who need reliable home and auto coverage.
Farmers auto insurance
Farmers insurance auto reviews are excellent, and millions of drivers use Farmers for coverage. Those shopping for auto insurance will find all the basics of auto insurance with Farmers plus a few additional car insurance coverage options, such as extended customized equipment coverage or their New Car Replacement Coverage, which helps Farmers Insurance stand out from the competition.
- New car replacement coverage: If your new car gets totaled within two years of purchase and you drove it less than 24,000 miles, Farmers will replace it with the same make and model. You’ll just pay your deductible.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: Comprehensive coverage protects you from damage caused by incidents such as hail or theft, while collision coverage covers you in an accident.
- Customized equipment coverage: Farmers’ customized equipment coverage covers your car’s after-market add-ons like alloy wheels or a sound system if this equipment is damaged.
- Liability: Liability insurance covers damage you cause to others in an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist damage: This covers damages and medical bills if you’re in an accident where the other driver is at-fault and they don’t carry liability insurance or their limits are too low.
- Medical payments coverage: This pays for you or a passenger’s medical bills if injured in an accident.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Farmers insurance roadside assistance coverage offers towing and 24/7 services for incidents like flat tires and dead or weak batteries.
- Accident forgiveness: If you’ve selected accident forgiveness coverage and have one at-fault accident, your auto insurance rate won’t change. This coverage applies to one at-fault accident for every three years you go without one.
- Loss of use: This is optional coverage that gives you public transit options or a rental car if your insured vehicle becomes undrivable.
- Rideshare insurance: This covers drivers who work for ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft
Cost of Farmers car insurance
In addition to an extensive list of coverage options, drivers who enroll in Farmers car insurance will find that it is more affordable on average than other carriers. The average annual cost of Famers car insurance is $190 for minimum coverage and $1,124 for full coverage. This is about $700 cheaper than the national average of $1,738 annually for full coverage.
|Average Annual Cost of Minimum Coverage||Average Annual Cost of Full Coverage|
These are a sampling of the discounts available with Farmers car insurance, but remember that discounts and availability vary by state.
- Signal by Farmer: Receive a 5% discount for downloading the Signal app, which tracks your driving habits and up to a 15% discount at the end of the year.
- Loyalty: You can get discounts for remaining a customer for several years.
Good student: Students with good grades can save money.
- Distant student: This discount applies if your covered driver is away at college at least 100 miles away and left their car at home.
- Multi-vehicle and bundled: Get a discount on your Farmers insurance policy if you insure multiple vehicles with Farmers or if you bundle different types of policies.
Farmers home insurance
Farmers also offers home insurance. Home insurance under Farmers features a wide variety of coverage and discount options.
Farmers home insurance coverage options include:
- Contents replacement cost coverage: This coverage pays to replace the personal items within your home if lost due to theft or damage.
- Eco-rebuild: If you rebuild your home after a fire, you can receive up to $25,000 towards the extra cost of green materials and appliances.
- Medical payments: This pays the medical bills if someone is injured on your property, regardless of liability.
- Living expenses: If you can’t live in your home, this coverage helps pay your living expenses elsewhere.
In addition to multi-policy discounts, there are other home insurance discounts that you can take advantage of when signing up for coverage with them.
- Claims free: If you’ve been claims-free for more than three consecutive years, you could receive a discount on your Farmers insurance.
- Home renovation: You could qualify for a discount from Farmers for upgrading your electrical, plumbing and other mechanical systems.
- Home safety: You can get this discount for energy-efficient and safe homes that are Energy Star, EPA or LEED-certified or have other safety features.
- New home: This discount is available for homes built less than 12 years ago.
- Protective devices: Discounts for installing fire alarms, security systems or an indoor fire sprinkler system.
Farmers life insurance
Farmers offers a variety of life insurance options for those looking to enroll in life insurance. You can also speak to an agent to discuss your options and obtain a quote online directly from Farmers’ website.
Types of policies offered
- Term life insurance policies enable your premiums to remain the same for a specified time period, normally 10, 20, or 30 years. Once the level period ends, your premium will increase. If you’re on a budget and know you have expenses coming up, then you may want to consider term life insurance policy.
- Whole life insurance insures you for the rest of your life. Because of its permanence, whole life insurance offers more flexibility and you may be able to accumulate cash value.
- Universal life insurance is more flexible than whole life insurance. It is also permanent and can accumulate cash value.
Reasons why Farmers is a great option
Farmers Insurance is a great company for anyone looking for auto or home. It offers a wide variety of basic coverage options, add-ons and good discounts that many people can take advantage of.
Overall, Farmers is best for those who live in the Central and Midwestern regions, where the company began and has its strongest presence. Because Farmers is known for its disaster response, it’s also a good option for people who live in areas that are prone to extreme weather like hurricanes and tornadoes. The Farmers Mobile Claims Center travels to the site of natural disasters to help policyholders file claims easily.
If you only need one insurance policy, Farmers’ premiums won’t be the cheapest option available. For example, the average auto insurance policy with Farmers is $1,540 a year for full coverage. If you’re getting a Farmers insurance quote, make sure you’re shopping around and getting quotes from other providers.
Farmers ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Farmers insurance reviews are mostly above average across the board. In particular, Farmers’ customer service is generally considered to be good. Below, we’ve included ratings from leading market researchers, including J.D. Power, Consumer Affairs, Better Business Bureau (BBB) and AM Best. These companies use real customer feedback and financial strength indicators to provide an accurate Farmers insurance rating.
|AM Best||A (Excellent)|
|Consumer Affairs||2 out of 5|
|J.D. Power (Auto)||827/1000|
|J.D. Power (Home)||814/1000|
|J.D. Power (Renters)||2 out of 5|
Additional policies offered by Farmers
Looking to get those multi-policy discounts? Farmers also provides insurance in these additional categories:
- Landlord and rental properties
- Recreational (boats, ATVs)
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a Farmers insurance quote?
To get a Farmers insurance quote, navigate to the webpage for the type of insurance you’re looking for, such as auto or renters. Fill out some information through the form to get a quote. Or, call customer service or a local agent.
How do I file a claim with Farmers
Farmers insurance claims are easy to file. You can call your Farmers insurance agent or file out a form online. If you’re in an area where a natural disaster such as a hurricane or tornado has struck, you can visit their Mobile Claims Center. Or, you can download the Farmers app to fill out a claim.
Is Farmers available in my state?
Farmers insurance offers coverage in every state. However, the policy offerings and discounts may vary by location.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2018 Honda Accord, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.