In 1928, Farmers Insurance began selling insurance to farmers to cover farm vehicles. Since then, customers have been trusting Farmers to cover their most valuable assets. Today, the company offers a broad suite of insurance products, and is well known for their wide network and excellent disaster response.
Given Farmers’ longstanding history and expertise in the insurance industry, this insurance company is a great choice for customers who need reliable home and auto coverage.
Farmers insurance coverage options and discounts
Farmers insurance offers a variety of insurance coverages, but home, auto and renters are among their most popular policies. Below is a breakdown of each type of insurance policy, what’s covered and how you can save money on your premium.
Farmers insurance auto reviews are excellent, and millions of drivers use Farmers for coverage. Those shopping for auto insurance will find all the basics of auto insurance with Farmers plus a few additional car insurance coverage options, such as extended customized equipment coverage or their New Car Replacement Coverage, which helps Farmers Insurance stand out from the competition.
- New car replacement coverage: If your new car gets totaled within two years of purchase and you drove it less than 24,000 miles, Farmers will replace it with the same make and model. You’ll just pay your deductible.
- Comprehensive and collision coverage: Comprehensive coverage protects you from damage caused by incidents such as hail or theft, while collision coverage covers you in an accident.
- Customized equipment coverage: Farmers’ customized equipment coverage covers your car’s after-market add-ons like alloy wheels or a sound system if this equipment is damaged.
- Liability: Liability insurance covers damage you cause to others in an accident.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist damage: This covers damages and medical bills if you’re in an accident where the other driver is at-fault and they don’t carry liability insurance or their limits are too low.
- Medical payments coverage: This pays for you or a passenger’s medical bills if injured in an accident.
- Towing and roadside assistance: Farmers insurance roadside assistance coverage offers towing and 24/7 services for incidents like flat tires and dead or weak batteries.
- Accident forgiveness: If you’ve selected accident forgiveness coverage and have one at-fault accident, your auto insurance rate won’t change. This coverage applies to one at-fault accident for every three years you go without one.
- Loss of use: This is optional coverage that gives you public transit options or a rental car if your insured vehicle becomes undrivable.
- Rideshare insurance: This covers drivers who work for ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft
These are a sampling of the discounts available with Farmers car insurance, but remember that discounts and availability vary by state.
- Signal by Farmer: Receive a 5% discount for downloading the Signal app, which tracks your driving habits and up to a 15% discount at the end of the year.
- Loyalty: You can get discounts for remaining a customer for several years.
Good student: Students with good grades can save money.
- Distant student: This discount applies if your covered driver is away at college at least 100 miles away and left their car at home.
- Multi-vehicle and bundled: Get a discount on your Farmers insurance policy if you insure multiple vehicles with Farmers or if you bundle different types of policies.
You can also purchase your home insurance policy through Farmers. Farmers home insurance coverage options include:
- Contents replacement cost coverage: This coverage pays to replace the personal items within your home if lost due to theft or damage.
- Eco-rebuild: If you rebuild your home after a fire, you can receive up to $25,000 towards the extra cost of green materials and appliances.
- Medical payments: This pays the medical bills if someone is injured on your property, regardless of liability.
- Living expenses: If you can’t live in your home, this coverage helps pay your living expenses elsewhere.
In addition to multi-policy discounts, there are other home insurance discounts that you can take advantage of when signing up for coverage with them.
- Claims free: If you’ve been claims-free for more than three consecutive years, you could receive a discount on your Farmers insurance.
- Home renovation: You could qualify for a discount from Farmers for upgrading your electrical, plumbing and other mechanical systems.
- Home safety: You can get this discount for energy-efficient and safe homes that are Energy Star, EPA or LEED-certified or have other safety features.
- New home: This discount is available for homes built less than 12 years ago.
- Protective devices: Discounts for installing fire alarms, security systems or an indoor fire sprinkler system.
If you rent your home, consider purchasing a renters insurance policy through Farmers to protect your personal belongings. Farmers’ renters insurance policies include coverage for:
- Personal property: Personal property coverage protects your belongings inside your home. If your items were damaged or destroyed by a covered peril, Farmers will help you to pay to replace those items.
- Personal liability: Personal liability coverage protects you if someone were to get injured in your home. It also protects you if you accidentally cause injury to someone or damage their property.
- Additional living expenses: If your home becomes uninhabitable because of damages, additional living expenses will pay for your hotel and restaurant bills until you can move back in.
- Replacement cost coverage: If your valuables were to get damaged or stolen, replacement cost coverage (optional) will reimburse you for the full amount you paid for the item.
- Identity shield: If your identity is stolen, this optional coverage will help you notify credit bureaus, replace important documents and compensate you for related expenses.
If you purchase a renters insurance policy through Farmers, you may be eligible for the following discounts:
- Home safety: If your home has a security system and fire alarms installed, you can save money on your renters insurance premium.
- Non-smokers: If everyone in your household has been a non-smoker for at least two consecutive years, you qualify for a discount.
- Policy bundling: You can save money on your renters insurance premium if you purchase your renters policy and an auto, life or umbrella policy from Farmers.
- Profession: In certain states, Farmers offer discounts for renters who are doctors, nurses, engineers, dentists, teachers, police officers and firefighters.
Farmers ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Farmers insurance reviews are mostly above average across the board. In particular, Farmers’ customer service is generally considered to be good. Below, we’ve included ratings from leading market researchers, including J.D. Power, Consumer Affairs, Better Business Bureau (BBB) and AM Best. These companies use real customer feedback and financial strength indicators to provide an accurate Farmers insurance rating.
Reasons Farmers is a great option
Farmers Insurance is a great company for anyone looking for auto, home or renters insurance. It offers a wide variety of basic coverage options, add-ons and good discounts that many people can take advantage of.
Overall, Farmers is best for those who live in the Central and Midwestern regions, where the company began and has its strongest presence. Because Farmers is known for its disaster response, it’s also a good option for people who live in areas that are prone to extreme weather like hurricanes and tornadoes. The Farmers Mobile Claims Center travels to the site of natural disasters to help policyholders file claims easily.
If you only need one insurance policy, Farmers’ premiums won’t be the cheapest option available. For example, the average auto insurance policy with Farmers is $1,538 a year, which is the third-most-expensive in the country. If you’re getting a Farmers insurance quote, make sure you’re shopping around and getting quotes from other providers.
Additional policies offered by Farmers
Looking to get those multi-policy discounts? Farmers also provides insurance in these additional categories:
- Landlord and rental properties
- Recreational (boats, ATVs)
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a Farmers insurance quote?
To get a Farmers insurance quote, navigate to the webpage for the type of insurance you’re looking for, such as auto or renters. Fill out some information through the form to get a quote. Or, call customer service or a local agent.
How do I file a claim with Farmers
Farmers insurance claims are easy to file. You can call your Farmers insurance agent or file out a form online. If you’re in an area where a natural disaster such as a hurricane or tornado has struck, you can visit their Mobile Claims Center. Or, you can download the Farmers app to fill out a claim.
Is Farmers available in my state?
Farmers insurance offers coverage in every state. However, the policy offerings and discounts may vary by location.