With 2,534,090 licensed drivers in the state of Connecticut, you can’t completely control your safety on the road. Accidents happen, which is why you need insurance coverage. If you’re looking for the most affordable Connecticut insurance rates, shopping around is essential.
There are a number of variables to consider when searching for cheap car insurance companies in Connecticut.
- Minimum car insurance requirements in Connecticut
- Your age, marital status and car make will all impact your quote
Best car insurance companies in Connecticut
According to the experts at J.D. Power, these are the auto insurance companies with the best rates and highest customer satisfaction ratings in New England, including Connecticut.
- Amica Mutual: At the top of the rankings is Amica Mutual, with 852 points out of 1,000, and a 5 out of 5 customer satisfaction rating.
- State Farm: State Farm is the largest insurer in the United States and second-highest in the rankings with 844 points and 4 out of 5 stars for a customer satisfaction rating.
- Geico: Geico has 836 points, and features 4 out of 5 stars for customer satisfaction.
- Allstate: Allstate came in fourth in the ranking with 830 points, and 4 out of 5 stars for customer satisfaction
- Progressive: Progressive may have 825 points, but it came in last out of the five with 3 out of 5 stars (average) customer satisfaction.
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Connecticut for you
Cheapest car insurance for good drivers
Good drivers refer to people who have perfect driving records, which means no traffic violations, such as speeding or running a red light, or at-fault accidents. Geico and Progressive offer the cheapest auto insurance option for good drivers.
Cheapest car insurance for students
If you’re enrolled in high school or college, you definitely need an insurance policy that won’t break your piggy bank. Allstate offers discounts to students enrolled in a university far from home.
State Farm also offers unique rate incentives for students. If you complete the Steer Clear Safe Driver Program online, receive up to 15 percent off your premium. College students can also save money through the Good Student Discount; maintain the minimum GPA average to qualify for up to 25% off the premium.
Cheapest car insurance for people with low credit
Insurance companies in the state of Connecticut take your credit history into consideration when calculating an estimate. If you have fair to poor credit, Nationwide and Geico are among the most affordable options. However, it helps to continue to work on building good credit; as your score improves, you can renegotiate your rates with your insurance company.
Cheapest car insurance for people with accidents
If you have a couple of car accidents or traffic violations on your driving record, this has an impact on car insurance rates. Other serious driving offenses, such as DUI, can also cause your rates to skyrocket.
Geico offers the cheapest rates for drivers with traffic violations, while Progressive is the better choice for at-fault accidents.
Average car insurance cost in Connecticut
According to US News, the average annual cost of car insurance for Connecticut drivers is $1,771. Remember that this rate will vary depending on factors such as your age, driving record and credit history.
|Type of Driver||Average cost of car insurance/year in Connecticut|
|At least 1 violation on Driving Record||$1,584|
Car insurance discounts in Connecticut
There are a variety of ways to qualify for insurance discounts in Connecticut:
Education and good grade discounts
If you complete a driver’s education course in Connecticut, you could be eligible to receive a discount of 5% or more depending on the insurance provider. Some companies also offer discounts of up to 16% for college students who meet a minimum GPA.
Insurance policy bundles
If you purchase more than one type of policy from an insurance provider, they are likely to offer you a discount on all premiums.
Annual mileage discounts
The less you drive, the lower your risk of an accident. That’s why many auto insurance companies offer a discount on premiums for car owners who drive less than a specified number of miles annually (usually below 15,000).
State minimum insurance requirements in Connecticut
Connecticut has its own set of laws that outline the minimum insurance you must have to legally operate a vehicle within the state. Here are the requirements:
- Bodily Injury Liability: If you are at fault for a car accident that caused injury to another person, bodily injury liability is the coverage that covers their medical expenses and lost income. Unless specified otherwise in your contract, this does not cover any injuries you sustain.
- Minimum bodily injury coverage requirement in Connecticut:
- $20,000 bodily injury per person per accident
- $40,000 bodily injury for all persons per accident
- Property damage liability: If you are at fault for a car accident that caused damage to another person’s vehicle or property (such as a fence or building), property damage liability coverage is used to cover these damages. Unless specified otherwise in your contract, this does not cover damage to your vehicle.
- Minimum property damage liability coverage requirement in Connecticut:
- $10,000 property damage liability
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: If you’re injured or your car is damaged in an accident due to the fault of an uninsured driver, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is used to help pay your medical expenses and vehicle damage.
- Minimum uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage requirement in Connecticut:
- $20,000/$40,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Connecticut?
On average, Geico and Progressive are the cheapest car insurance providers in Connecticut. When shopping providers, these quotes may vary depending on your age, driving record and other personal information.
What information is needed in order to get car insurance in Connecticut?
You will need to provide all of your personal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card and driver’s license to get Connecticut insurance for your car. If you’re insuring other drivers under your policy, you’ll also need to show their licenses. Of course, you will need to provide information about your vehicle, including registration and an existing declaration page.
What should I look for in a car insurance provider?
Consider the types of drivers you will be insuring under your policy. For instance, if you have student drivers at home, you might want to consider State Farm due to the discount programs they offer for students.
How long does it take to receive a Connecticut insurance quote?
This varies according to the provider. Once you fill out an online application for most insurance providers, you should receive a quote within a few minutes.