Homeowners insurance is a good idea for anyone who owns their own home — which includes 53% of San Antonio residents. If you have a mortgage, your lender will probably require it. The average homeowners insurance policy in San Antonio is $1,944 per year, which is below the Texas average of $2,589. This rate also does not include flood insurance since it is excluded from a standard homeowners insurance policy. You may wish to pick up a separate flood policy since San Antonio is one of the most flood-prone cities in the U.S.
To find the best home insurance in San Antonio, TX, we looked at the insurers who are writing the most policies in the region and know the area well. We looked at cost, customer service and financial stability. Finally, we reviewed websites to see if it was easy to manage your policy online.
Best home insurance companies in San Antonio
The best cheap home insurance in San Antonio, TX, is provided by companies that work with their customers to provide robust policy options that may help cover your home if a disaster is waiting around the corner. Based on our research, here are a few carriers worth looking into:
|Home insurance company||Average annual premium for $250K dwelling||J.D. Power score|
|Bankers Insurance Group||$612||N/A|
|Texas Farm Bureau||$1,160||N/A|
Bankers Insurance Group
Bankers is headquartered in Florida and is well-versed in dealing with the natural disasters that southern states face. It has been writing policies in Texas for nearly 40 years and offers homeowners, renters, condo, flood and more. If you live in one of San Antonio’s more flood-prone neighborhoods, a Bankers representative can help you determine if a flood insurance policy is a right choice for you. Banker’s average annual cost was also the lowest at $612, so you may be able to save money by working with the company.
Texas Farm Bureau
Texas Farm Bureau is a great choice if good customer service matters to you. The company has a reputation for going the extra mile for its clients. Texas Farm Bureau’s average annual premium is on the low side at $1,160, and there are discounts for bundling your policy, installed alarm systems and more. There are a number of offices in the region, including several in downtown San Antonio, to help with your insurance needs.
If you have a higher-value home, Chubb may be the right choice for you. It is known for writing policies for those looking for white-glove treatment, and its standard homeowner policies feature coverage options that other companies often charge extra for, such as risk consulting and lock replacement. Chubb also has specific wildfire coverage for those who live in areas in Bexar County that can be prone to fires. Although you may pay a little extra for Chubb coverage, the company offers a good number of discounts, including alarm systems, new house, gated community and more to help keep your premium rate down.
UPC offers coverage for homeowners, condos and more in the San Antonio region. The company has benefits right from the start: you can do your own home self-inspection when it is convenient for you without waiting for an agent. Additional riders, or endorsements, are available for scheduled personal property, home systems (heating, cooling and electricity), and service line coverage. Flood insurance is also available for San Antonio residents.
Common coverages in San Antonio
Texas does not require you to have a homeowners insurance policy, but your mortgage conditions probably require coverage. If you have an HO-3 policy, which is the most common type of homeowners policy, you generally have coverage for your dwelling, other structures on your property like a garage, your personal belongings and liability coverage.
You can also customize your coverage with endorsements or additional insurance policies. Some of the most common ones to consider are:
- Flood insurance: you might think you only need this if you live near a large body of water, but even a small stream can be disastrous if it floods. FEMA’s flood zone map center allows you to type in your address and see if you are in a flood zone. Even if you are not, ask your agent if flood insurance is right for you.
- Slow leak coverage: what happens if you have a leak that goes undetected and causes damage? Your basic policy may not cover this, and it is a common enough occurrence that you might want to speak to your insurer about whether this coverage is available on your policy.
- Extended replacement: this coverage option may allow for a more generous payout if your home is damaged or destroyed and may even pay up to 150% of the dwelling coverage amount to rebuild your home, allowing you to restore your property as it was before the damage occurred.
Home insurance discounts in San Antonio
Cheap home insurance San Antonio is available from insurers who offer discounts that can help you save money. You are likely to be eligible for one or more that can reduce your premium costs without reducing your coverage.
- Bundling: by purchasing your car or life insurance with the same company that writes your homeowner policy, you may be eligible to save up to 10-20%.
- Loyalty: some insurers will give you a discount if you have been with them for a certain number of years — often five — although some require you to be claim-free during that period.
- Alarm systems: there are many reasons why it is a good idea to have smoke detectors and burglar alarms installed in your home. One of them is that it may earn you a discount with your insurer.
- Electronic payments: many insurers will give you a small discount (up to 5% is common) for paying your bill electronically and for setting up automatic payments. You may also earn a discount if you agree to receive communications from the company via email rather than postal mail.
These are some of the most favorable — and easy — ways to reduce your premiums for homeowners insurance in San Antonio. Your insurer may have others, and it pays to ask questions when you are signing up to be sure that you are receiving all the discounts for which you are eligible.
Frequently asked questions
What is the best home insurance company?
The best home insurance in San Antonio, TX, depends on your situation and circumstances. A good place to start your search is with Bankrate’s Best homeowners insurance companies for 2021 listing. Here you will find the companies that provide robust coverage options for homeowners at great prices.
How much does home insurance in San Antonio cost?
The average cost of homeowners insurance in San Antonio is $1,944 a year for a home with an estimated rebuild amount of $250,000. Your insurance costs will vary from this, based on the multiple factors used to determine your premium. These include your home’s age and condition, building costs in your region, and your age and credit rating.
How much home insurance do I need in San Antonio?
You should have enough home insurance so that you could rebuild your home in the event of a disaster. Talk to your agent to find out what building costs per square foot are in your area, and consider getting replacement coverage rather than actual cash value coverage, which includes depreciation and may leave you without enough to rebuild.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $250,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $25,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $125,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $50,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.