Most consumers want to find good, solid auto insurance coverage at a reasonable price. If you have low credit, though, you may be surprised to learn that you will generally pay more for car insurance. Drivers with low credit tend to file more claims than drivers with higher credit scores, so insurance companies charge more to make up for the increased risk.
If you have a low credit score, there are ways to find affordable car insurance. If you live in New Jersey or Pennsylvania, Citizens United Reciprocal Exchange (CURE) auto insurance may be a good fit for your needs. CURE does not view credit score, occupation or education level as factors when determining insurance prices. Bankrate has reviewed CURE’s coverage options, discounts and third-party rankings to help give you an idea of if the company is the right fit for you.
CURE car insurance
CURE offers its customers three options for coverage. If you are getting a quote with CURE, you can choose a basic policy quote or a standard policy quote, or you can choose the custom quote option and choose your coverages individually.
The basic policy quote generally costs significantly less than a standard policy but provides limited benefits, according to CURE. The basic policy quote might be a good option for drivers with a very low budget. However, drivers should be aware that there is a risk of out-of-pocket expenses following an at-fault loss when carrying low liability limits. The basic policy quote allows customers to choose up to the following limits of coverage:
- Property damage: $5,000 coverage limit
- Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 coverage limit
- Extended Medical Expense: $10,000 coverage limit
- The limitation on lawsuit threshold
- Bodily Injury Liability: up to $10,000 coverage available as an option
Although the personal injury protection (PIP) limit is $15,000, you can choose your deduction level. The higher your PIP deductible, the lower your premium will generally be, but the more you will pay out in the event of a claim. Additionally, the PIP coverage does include coverage for emergency care of certain injuries up to $250,000.
The standard policy quote, also called the “quick quote” option, prefills certain coverage choices and provides more options for coverage and additional protection. The standard policy quote option allows you to choose from a wider range of coverage options:
- Bodily injury liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage: from $15,000 per person and $30,000 per accident up to $250,000 per person and $500,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection: from $15,000 per accident up to $250,000
- Physical damage coverage and uninsured motorist property damage: from $5,000 per accident up to $100,000 per accident
- Collision or comprehensive coverage: both options on standard insurance
- Towing and labor coverage
- Extended transportation coverage
Additionally, the quote includes a $500 medical expense deductible and an extended medical expense benefits coverage limit of $10,000, as well as the same limitation on lawsuit threshold.
With the custom policy quote option, you can customize your policy by choosing from all the available coverage options that CURE offers.
In addition to affordable insurance, CURE offers a number of discounts for drivers, including:
- 3-year good driver discount: If all the drivers on your policy have been driving for at least three years, you may qualify for up to a 35% discount. This applies to new policies, too, provided that everyone on the policy is accident-free and has not had any major or minor violations for a minimum of three years before the date of application.
- 5-year good driver discount: If your driving record has been clean for five years and you have been a customer of CURE for at least two years, you may qualify for up to a 40% discount.
- Multi-vehicle discount: CURE offers customers a discount if they insure multiple cars under one vehicle policy rather than having a separate policy for each.
- Parking discount: CURE offers up to a 15% discount for off-street parking, which means you park in a driveway rather than on the street. They also offer up to a 50% discount if you park in a more secure spot than the driveway, like a garage, a 24/7 monitored facility with a guard or a place that requires a security code to enter or exit.
Who should consider CURE?
- Drivers in New Jersey
- Drivers in Pennsylvania
- Customers with good driving records but poor credit
- Customers who have been penalized for factors other than their driving record
Frequently asked questions
What is CURE’s average cost of insurance premiums?
The cost of each policy will vary based on a number of factors, but will primarily be based on your driving record. CURE may be able to save the average driver up to 50 percent on their premiums. You can get an individualized quote by visiting the CURE Auto Insurance website and entering your information. You can also call CURE at 1-800-535-2873 to request a quote by phone.
You will need to provide information like your driver’s license number, ZIP code, age and cost of your current auto insurance premiums (if you have insurance) to get a quote, all of which can be done online.
How do I file a claim with CURE?
To file a claim with CURE, call 1-800-229-9151. You can file a claim 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no option to file claims online. Once the claim is filed, customers can check the status of their claim by logging into their account. Customers can also check the progress of their vehicle repairs by logging into their account.