With over 1.1 million licensed drivers in Idaho as of 2016 and an adult population of over 1.7 million, that means that over 64% of adults in Idaho are licensed to drive. More importantly, it means that there are many people driving on the roads in Idaho.
Maintaining the right car insurance in Idaho is more than a requirement. It is a necessity and protection for your financial well-being. But also in consideration of your financial well-being, we recommend shopping around for the best deal on car insurance.
When shopping for the best deal, note that the lowest cost policy is not always the best deal. So, what should you look for in a car insurance policy? Here are the four main things to consider:
- Premium: An insurance premium is a fee you will pay the insurance company each year to have your insurance through them. Premiums can be paid yearly, quarterly or monthly depending on what the insurance company offers. This amount can increase or decrease yearly. The average car insurance premium in Idaho is $1,018 per year.
- Deductible: If you file a claim on your Idaho car insurance, the deductible is the amount of money you will be responsible for paying before your insurance company covers the remainder of the claim. Insurance companies typically offer different levels of deductibles ranging from $500 up to $5,000. There is an inverse relationship between the deductible and premium, meaning that usually the higher the premium, the lower the deductible. Similarly, the lower the premium, the higher the deductible.
- Coverage: Not all insurance policies are created equally. Be aware of what coverage levels your premium is paying for. Don’t sacrifice adequate coverage to save a few bucks.
- Discounts: Nearly every Idaho car insurance company offers a variety of discounts to customers. Ask your agent about what discounts you might qualify for.
Best car insurance in companies in Idaho
We have reviewed the car insurance options available in Idaho and selected the top four to assist in your search.
- Geico: Geico is well-known for its low prices. It also offers discounts such as good student, multi-policy, membership, military and loyalty to make the costs even lower. Geico has several options to expand your coverage.
- State Farm: State Farm has several insurance options and discounts, including bundling your car insurance with other types of insurance you might need such as home or renters insurance.
- Travelers: Travelers has several car insurance options like accident forgiveness, new car replacement, loan or lease gap coverage, rental car, roadside assistance, liability coverage, personal injury, medical payments and underinsured/uninsured coverage. Travelers also offers several discounts to help you save money.
- USAA: USAA received 5 out of 5 in every category that J.D. Power surveyed (overall satisfaction, policy offerings, price, billing process and policy information, interaction and claims). USAA serves members of the military and their families, so the rates for this company are generally lower than what other providers have.
|J.D. Power Satisfaction Rating||BBB Rating||AM Best|
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Idaho for you
The cheapest insurance in Idaho will vary, depending on your age, gender, credit history, vehicle type and driving history. The premiums below were provided by a Quadrant Information study performed on behalf of U.S. News.
Cheapest car insurance for active-duty military and veterans: USAA
USAA only offers its products to members of the military, veterans and their families. Because of this, the rates are often among the lowest on the market. The average premium with USAA in Idaho is $568.26
Cheapest car insurance for young drivers: Travelers
Young drivers are considered to be more of a risk because they have less experience on the road, so insurance rates for them are higher. Travelers doesn’t charge as much as several other companies. The average premium for a 25-year-old male is $767.84. The average premium for a 25-year-old female is $675.74.
Cheapest car insurance for good drivers: State Farm
Drivers with a clean record will pay less for their insurance, especially if they choose State Farm as their provider. The average premium with State Farm for drivers with a clean record is $783.91.
Cheapest car insurance for drivers with low credit: Geico
Insurance companies charge more money for people who don’t have good credit. If you’re in that situation, you’ll save the most money by going with Geico. Its average premium for drivers with poor credit is $1,400.56.
Average cost of car insurance in Idaho
The average car insurance premium in Idaho is $1,018 per year. Here are the average premiums for various driver scenarios:
|Driver type||Average annual premium|
|Ages 16-20||$5815.51 – $1,422.82|
Car insurance discounts in Idaho
Nearly every insurance provider in Idaho offers policy discounts. When shopping for the cheapest car insurance Idaho offers, ask what discounts you may qualify for. Here are a few popular discounts for each of our top four insurance companies in Idaho.
- Multi-policy discount if you have more than one insurance policy with USAA
- Good driving discount if you maintain a clean driving record
- Loyalty discount if you have a history of doing business with USAA
- Defensive driving discount if you take defensive driving courses
- Family discounts where military discounts are extended to the families of active duty or veterans
- Multi-policy discount if you have more than one insurance policy with Travelers
- Multi-car discount if you insure more than one vehicle with Travelers
- Homeownership discount if you are a homeowner even if your homeowner’s insurance is elsewhere
- Hybrid/electric discount if you own or lease a hybrid vehicle
- EFT, Paid in Full and Good Payer Discounts if you set up for automatic payments, pay your policy in full and/or maintain on-time payments
- Accident-free discount
- Good student discount if the insured student maintains good grades
- Drive safe and save discount if using a smartphone app it is determined you practice safe driving habits
- Steer clear discount if you are under 25 and maintain a clean and accident-free driving record
- Federal employee discount
- Multi-policy discount if you have more than one policy with Geico
- Customer loyalty for Geico customers who have a history of doing business with the company
- Good driver discounts if you maintain a clean driving record
State minimum insurance requirements in Idaho
At a minimum, your car insurance in Idaho must cover the following:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: This is coverage for any bodily injury caused to other drivers, passengers or pedestrians. You must have $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage: This is coverage for any property damage done. You need $15,000 per accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage: This is coverage to protect you if you or your vehicle are damaged by an at-fault driver who does not have car insurance. You need $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
- Underinsured motorist coverage: This is coverage to protect you if you or your vehicle are damaged by an at-fault driver who has insufficient car insurance coverage. You need $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Idaho?
USAA for active duty or veteran military is the cheapest overall with Travelers second in line. However, you may be eligible for discounts or special rates that make a different company the cheapest for you.
What information is needed in order to get car insurance in Idaho?
You’ll need personal information such as:
- Vehicle information: VIN, license plate, current mileage and annual mileage
- Personal information: ID, name, date of birth, address and social security number for each insured driver
- Current coverage: coverage limits on current policy
How do I find the cheapest policy for me?
We recommend seeking quotes from at least three insurance companies each year to ensure you are getting the best price. Just because an insurance company offers you the best deal now does not mean they will still be the best deal a year from now. Shop around.
Will my insurance premium go up if I file a claim?
This depends on the insurer and the type of claim you are filing. When shopping for rates, ask this question to insurance agents to find out what their company policies are.