The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate, we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. To help readers understand how insurance affects their finances, we have licensed insurance professionals on staff who have spent a combined 47 years in the auto, home and life insurance industries. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation of . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
If you’re looking for the best car insurance for your coupe, USAA, Geico and Erie top the list as standout auto insurers. Bankrate determined these rankings by analyzing factors that are likely important to you – financial strength, customer satisfaction, the latest premium data and discounts, to name a few.
The average cost of full coverage car insurance for a 2019 Toyota Camry is $1,674 per year. However, the vehicle make and model you drive affects your car insurance premiums. In this article, Bankrate’s team walks you through the best and cheapest coupe insurance options.
Models included in this review:
- Dodge Challenger
- Honda Civic
- Mercedes E-Class
- Mercedes C-Class
- Volkswagen Beetle
- Audi A5
- Chevrolet Corvette
- Chevrolet Camaro
- BMW 440i
- Ford Mustang
How much does it cost to insure a coupe?
The average cost of car insurance based on a 2019 Toyota Camry is $1,674 for full coverage and $565 annually for minimum coverage. In addition to your premium being affected by how you use your vehicle (business, personal, commute) and how often you drive it, the type of vehicle you drive contributes to different rates.
The following vehicle factors affect the price of your car insurance:
- Price of parts: American-made vehicles typically have cheaper parts since they don’t have to be imported. Foreign vehicles such as BMWs and Audis require some of the priciest parts on the market.
- Safety features: Common safety features in new coupes include side airbags, anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control and accident avoidance systems.
- Likelihood of theft: If your vehicle comes equipped with anti-theft devices such as wheel locks and brake locks, you could save on your car insurance.
Other factors such as your driving history, age and geographic location also impact your rates. Though it varies by state, in some cases, your gender and a credit-based insurance score may also factor into the rate you pay for car insurance. Rates also vary by auto insurer since carriers determine their risk comfort levels differently. The type of coverage you choose, including any optional coverage, will also factor into the total cost of your car insurance.
Car insurance for coupes: by make and model
The table below provides a snapshot of the average cost of car insurance for coupes, based on popular models and premium data from Quadrant Information Services. The following makes and models received a 2021 IIHS award as Top Safety Picks: Honda Civic, Mercedes E- \Class and C-Class, Audi A5 and Ford Mustang.
|Coupe car insurance by make and model||Average annual minimum coverage premium||Average annual full coverage premium|
Best car insurance for coupes
Often, the best car insurance company for coupes is based on competitive rates and the availability of coverage options, customer service ratings and access to digital assets like a mobile app. We reviewed several carriers and found a handful stand out because of the strength in all of these areas, plus others.
- USAA – USAA offers a number of advantages for drivers of coupes, including a full range of coverage options and competitive rates. You may meet the eligibility requirements for purchasing insurance products if you are a current or former member of the military, or an immediate family member of a service member. USAA also offers numerous discounts, including policy bundling and military installation incentives for additional savings on your policy.
- Geico – Geico has written insurance policies for over 75 years, including coupe car insurance. Geico offers the standard range of coverage options, but has additional ones, including rental car reimbursement and mechanical breakdown coverage. Another advantage of Geico is the digital assets, including the website or mobile app where you can add coverage, request quotes, manage your policy and file a claim.
- Erie – Erie is a regional insurer but offers the same variety of coverage options and discounts as many of the national providers. Erie has a strong base of agents in addition to competitive rates, with over 13,000 agents representing the company. Its approach to insurance seems to work, as Erie ranked as the top insurer in overall customer satisfaction for the North Central region in the 2021 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Study.
Cheapest car insurance companies for coupes
Bankrate has reviewed several car insurance companies and determined the top five that offer strong customer ratings, financial strength, competitive rates and premium discounts. Each company was also reviewed for coupe insurance to see how much the premiums vary based on the make and model of the coupe. For instance, the Dodge Challenger had a wide range of rates, but USAA and Amica offered the least expensive premiums on average for full coverage.
Average annual premium for full coverage by model
|Car insurance company||Dodge Challenger||Honda Civic||Mercedes E-Class||Mercedes C-Class||Volkswagen Beetle||Audi A5||Chevrolet Corvette||Chevrolet Camaro||BMW 4401|
Other car insurance coverage for coupes
Nearly every state has minimum car insurance requirements, which vary by state but usually include liability, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments and personal injury protection. However, many industry experts recommend adding additional coverage types for enhanced protection. If you are involved in an accident, whether you are at fault or not, you may have better financial safeguards if your policy is well-rounded.
There are numerous coverage options to choose from to complete your policy. First, take a look at your liability needs. Many financial experts advise carrying a higher amount of liability insurance, especially if you have a high net worth. If you are in an at-fault accident, your liability limits dictate the maximum the insurance company will pay out to the other driver to cover their medical expenses and property damage. If you have higher assets, more substantial liability coverage may help protect you in case of a lawsuit.
Other coverage types to consider are collision and comprehensive. These are just options for some people but are usually required if you lease or finance your vehicle. Collision coverage pays for the repair or replacement of your vehicle as a result of a crash, while comprehensive pays for damage to your vehicle from nature, an animal or something non-vehicle related. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage may be another option, which provides medical and property damage (in some states) help to you if you are involved in a crash with someone who does not have insurance or enough of it. You should also consider roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement, especially if you do not have access to another car if yours is being repaired after a covered claim.
Frequently asked questions
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our base profile drivers own a 2019 Toyota Camry, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should only be used for comparative purposes.
Model: To determine cost by vehicle type, we evaluated our base profile with the following vehicles applied: BMW 330i, Ford F-150, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Prius and Toyota Camry (base). For new vs used vehicles, we also included the following years in our calculations: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (base) and 2020.