Safe Auto Insurance Company offers basic state minimum liability coverage for drivers looking for affordable car insurance that meets the state’s legal minimums. Founded in 1993 in Columbus, Ohio, the basic auto insurer also offers several extended auto insurance coverage options and other types of policies.
Safe Auto insurance coverage options and discounts
The Safe Auto Insurance website lists the company’s coverage options and discounts. The basic legal minimum required by each state is limited to liability insurance to cover someone else’s damages (third parties) and leaves you unprotected.
Adding coverage to protect you financially is a smart move. And certain car lenders may require additional coverages if you’re financing or leasing. Other coverage options that expand your protection include:
- Collision car insurance to cover the cost of your repairs if your vehicle is involved in a collision.
- Comprehensive insurance to cover damages not caused by a car collision, including natural disasters (floods and hail), collision with an animal, theft, vandalism and fire.
- High risk insurance that provides affordable car insurance to every driver even if other insurers may not insure them because of poor credit or a history of accidents and tickets.
- Roadside assistance coverage pays for towing services and select repair costs to get your car running again.
Although their insurance coverages are one of the most affordable, you can save further with the following discounts:
- Safety Features Discount when the car is equipped with anti-theft devices, anti-lock brakes, airbags and other vehicle safety systems.
- Good Driver Discount when you don’t have a ticket or an accident on your record for three to five years.
- Lump-Sum Payment Discount of 5-10 percent if you pay annually, semi-annually or quarterly.
- Multi-Car Discount if you insure more than one vehicle with Safe Auto.
- Good Student Discount for younger drivers like teens and college students attending school.
- Homeowner Discount when your home is insured with Safe Auto Insurance Company.
Safe Auto ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) awards Safe Auto Insurance with an A+ rating although the average customer rating of 25 reviews is only 1 star. Most customers complain that the insurer is slow to respond to and pay out claims. A.M. Best rating awards the insurer of A- (excellent) for financial solvency – an insurer’s ability to meet its ongoing claims responsibilities.
Reasons why Safe Auto is a great option
Safe Auto offers low prices to customers that may have trouble finding auto insurance elsewhere. The company’s customers look for low prices for the legal minimum amount of insurance a state requires. Here’s why you should choose Safe Auto:
- A high chance of being insured regardless of credit and driving history
- Competitive prices for state-required minimum liability insurance
- Flexible payment options: annual, bi-monthly or monthly payment plans available
- Easy-to-use mobile app
- Drivers can choose any mechanic for auto repairs
Average rates available from Safe Auto
Safe Auto specializes in selling basic auto liability insurance. Many factors play into how much a policy can cost like location, age, driving history, credit score and more. Luckily, their website makes it simple to get a quote. Here’s what you can expect to pay on average for minimum liability car insurance with Safe Auto:
|Type of Driver||Average Annual Price|
|Age 21 – 39||$2,700|
|Age 40 – 59||$1,950|
|Age 60 and up||$1,700|
|High-risk with a previous DUI, at-fault accident or reckless driving ticket||$2,750|
|Low credit score||$3,500|
|Fair credit score (550 – 675)||$2,600|
|Good credit score (over 675)||$2,000|
Additional policies offered by Safe Auto
Although Safe Auto’s main focus is on basic liability auto insurance, they’ve expanded into other products. To get the best savings on all your policies, take advantage of their multi-policy discount by adding any of the following along with your auto insurance policy:
- Business Insurance including liability, commercial property, business owner policy and workers compensation.
- Health insurance like dental, medical and critical illness.
- Home insurance
- Life insurance built into their health insurance plans or purchased separately.
- Mechanical repair service plans to cover vehicle repairs.
- Motorcycle insurance
Frequently asked questions
What information is needed to get a quote from Safe Auto?
You can get a quote in as little as three minutes, according to the company. You’ll need your car’s year, make, model or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), driving history info like previous accidents or tickets and location of where you will park your vehicle.
Does the Safe Auto Insurance Company insure in all states?
At this time, Safe Auto only insures residents of:
How do I file a claim with Safe Auto?
If you’re involved in an accident and need to report a claim to Safe Auto, follow these steps:
- If applicable, contact the local authorities to report the accident and obtain a copy of the report.
- Take photos of the accident and location.
- Note the date and time of the accident.
- Note the year, make and model of any other vehicles involved.
- Write down names, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers, passengers and witnesses.
- Note any injuries.
- Write down drivers license and insurance information for other involved parties.
- Write a summary of how the incident happened.
- Call Safe Auto at 1-800-723-3288 and follow their instructions on how to submit the above.
How long does it take for Safe Auto insurance to pay a claim?
Depending on how serious or complicated the accident, customer reviews state claims take anywhere from days to weeks to pay out.