Mapfre Insurance is the largest car insurance and homeowners insurance provider in Massachusetts, where the company is headquartered. Since its founding in 1972, Mapfre has expanded into 14 states where it sells a variety of insurance policies, with home and auto insurance being its core products. If you are in the market for car insurance or homeowners insurance, keep reading to see our Mapfre Insurance review.
Mapfre car insurance
Mapfre auto insurance is fairly robust. The company offers a handful of add-on coverage options, which is ideal for drivers who want to customize their policy. Mapfre also sells a few unique coverages, like glass coverage, accident forgiveness and cell phone coverage, which are not commonly found with other insurance providers.
Mapfre also works with a vehicle repair network, called the CAR EZ program, which helps drivers find an auto body shop and coordinate a rental car pickup. Mapfre offers guaranteed service coverage for the lifetime of the vehicle, and the service technicians will even wash the car before it is returned to the owner.
Types of coverage
Mapfre Insurance offers minimum and full coverage car insurance, plus a variety of endorsements. Here are the policies available:
- Full coverage: Mapfre sells full coverage car insurance, which includes collision, comprehensive, liability, medical payments and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- AutoMaster Package: This endorsement includes new car replacement coverage, cell phone replacement coverage, a collision deductible waiver, personal belongings coverage and glass coverage.
- Rental car reimbursement: This coverage pays for a rental car if the vehicle is getting repaired after a covered claim.
- Towing and labor coverage: Towing and labor coverage will cover the cost of towing if the vehicle breaks down on the road.
- Accident forgiveness: With accident forgiveness, a driver’s premium will not increase after an at-fault accident.
- Glass coverage: If a covered loss results in glass damage only, Mapfre will expedite the claim process. If the glass can be repaired rather than replaced, Mapfre will waive the deductible.
Drivers who want to save money on their premium will be more than satisfied with Mapfre Insurance’s car insurance discounts:
- Disappearing deductible
- DriveAdvisor® program
- teenSMART® program
- AAA member discounts
- Policy bundling
- Shop smart credit
- Loyalty discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Good student discount
- Student away from home discount
- Annual mileage discount
- InControl Crash Prevention Training discount
- Multi-car discount
- Green discount
Mapfre home insurance
Homeowners can get good home insurance coverage from Mapfre. We were impressed by the number of add-on coverages available, including specialized policies for antique homes and high-value homes. The main downside is that Mapfre only lists several home insurance discounts on its website.
One unique feature of Mapfre home insurance is the Select Home Restoration Program. This program helps homeowners get expedited repairs with guaranteed coverage. Homeowners can get emergency home repairs within two hours and same-day contact for scheduling major structural repairs. Partners in the Select Home Restoration Program can address issues like smoke/fire damage, water damage, mold and asbestos removal, storm clean up and more.
Types of coverage
Mapfre Insurance offers standard coverage, plus some add-on coverage options for homeowners who want extra protection. Here are the home insurance coverages available:
- Standard coverage: Standard coverage includes dwelling, personal property, liability, medical payments and loss of use coverage.
- Water/sewer backup coverage: Mapfre will pay to repair damaged pipes that result in water or sewer backup.
- Home systems coverage: Home systems coverage pays to repair or replace electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.
- Personal property replacement cost coverage: Personal property replacement cost coverage pays to replace damaged or destroyed personal items at their original value.
- Credit card/fraud coverage: This coverage pays for unauthorized credit card transactions and includes fraud protection.
- Scheduled personal property coverage: Scheduled personal property coverage offers higher coverage limits for valuables, like art or jewelry.
Mapfre advertises several home insurance discounts online, including:
- New home discount
- Security system discount
- Claims-free discount
Reasons why Mapfre is a great option
Overall, Mapfre Insurance is a great choice for anyone shopping for homeowners or auto insurance. For both products, the company offers a variety of coverage options, good discounts and some unique programs, like the Select Home Restoration Program. The company has good financial strength and its auto insurance offering is rated by J.D. Power.
However, there are also several downsides to Mapfre Insurance. First, the coverage area is very small. Mapfre only sells insurance in 14 states. Another thing to consider is that Mapfre has extremely high customer complaints. Individuals who are looking for a company with great customer service should probably consider a different company.
Mapfre ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
|Organization||Mapfre Insurance rating|
|J.D. Power 2020 Auto Insurance Study||786/1,000 (New England region)|
|NAIC Complaint Index||6.98 (higher than average complaints)|
In J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Mapfre Insurance was rated
786/1,000 for overall customer satisfaction in the New England region. On the list of 13 insurance companies, Mapfre was ranked 13th. Mapfre’s home insurance offering is not rated by J.D. Power.
Mapfre Insurance has an A rating from AM Best, indicating excellent financial strength. That means the company has enough money to repay policyholders after a loss. Unfortunately, Mapfre Insurance has higher than average customer complaints as reported in the NAIC Company Complaint Index.
Additional policies offered by Mapfre
In addition to home and auto insurance, Mapfre also sells the following insurance policies:
- Travel insurance
- Business insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Boat insurance
- Recreational vehicle insurance
Frequently asked questions
What is the best auto insurance company?
There are many auto insurance companies on the market, but some are better than others. Based on our research, Amica, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive and USAA are among the best car insurance providers.
What is the best home insurance company?
The best homeowners insurance companies offer affordable policies, customizable coverage, good discounts, online tools and efficient claims handling. Some of the providers we recommend are Amica, Allstate, Travelers, Chubb and Lemonade.
Where is Mapfre Insurance available?
Mapfre Insurance is currently available in 14 states: Arizona, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Ohio, California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho.
How do I get a quote from Mapfre?
Prospective customers can use Mapfre’s online quote tool to get an instant rate quote for homeowners or auto insurance. You will be asked to submit personal information, like your address and contact information, as well as information about your home or vehicle.