Vermont has just 560,247 licensed drivers, one of the lowest numbers in the country. Perhaps that is one reason why Vermont’s average cost of car insurance is among the least expensive in the country at $691 as opposed to the average cost in the U.S. of $935 in 2016. The state also offers a conditional opt-out policy to help people save.
When looking for a new auto policy, drivers are shopping the cheapest Vermont car insurance possible while still guaranteeing quality coverage for the months to come.
There are some things you can do to ensure you find the right car insurance company for you.
- Don’t rush the process. Thoroughly research your options before committing to a policy.
- Inquire about discounts. Many companies offer special discounts you can apply to your policy, and these exclusive savings can make a huge difference in your annual premium.
- Include minimum requirements. Your policy should meet the minimum auto insurance requirements for the state of Vermont.
- Read client reviews. Companies only publicize the good, so view a business from a customer’s perspective. Check different sites for a well-rounded picture of a company’s strengths and weaknesses.
With these tips, you can find not the best insurance companies but also the cheapest car insurance Vermont has available for you.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Vermont
These are the best companies for Vermont car insurance:
- Geico: Geico has some of the least expensive rates and several discounts to lower rates even more. It also has several add-ons such as Mexico car insurance and insurance for special vehicles like RVs, motorcycles, boats and commercial vehicles.
- Safeco: Safeco is a division of powerhouse Liberty Mutual. Safeco offers specialty covers such as rideshare insurance and standard coverage options.
- Progressive: Progressive is one of the largest insurance companies, which means it has lots of additional coverage options and discounts such as options for students who are away at school and other family-friendly options.
- The Hartford: The Hartford offers all the insurance options you’d expect and a few more useful ones such as auto glass to replace damaged windows or windshields and towing for emergency roadside assistance needs.
- USAA: USAA only services military members and their families. USAA offers some of the lowest car insurance rates on the market.
To determine the best car insurance companies for Vermont residents, we looked to the experts for their ratings and reviews. J.D. Power judges customer satisfaction, while AM Best uses a grading system to judge a company’s financial stability. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) assigns grades to companies based upon client reviews. It considers the number of negative reviews and the length of time it takes a company to respond and resolve those complaints.
Each of these companies is highly rated for their financial stability, with varying levels of customer satisfaction. However, features like flexible coverage, quote process and claims processing all determine our picks for Vermont’s best car insurance companies.
|Company||J.D. Power||AM Best||BBB|
|Safeco||3 out of 5||A (Excellent)||A|
|Geico||3 out of 5||A++ (Superior)||A+|
|The Hartford||4 out of 5||A (Excellent||A+|
|Progressive||2 out of 5||A+ (Superior)||C-|
|USAA||5 out of 5||A++ (Superior)||F|
Finding the right cheap car insurance in Vermont for you
You have unique needs for your car insurance. Your auto insurance policy must cover your necessities without destroying your bank account. These companies offer the cheapest car insurance Vermont has to offer, along with high levels of financial stability and customer satisfaction.
Best Vermont car insurance for easy signup: Progressive
Progressive is popular for its simple signup process, making it one of the easiest ways to create a new quote.
Best Vermont car insurance for coverage options: Safeco
Safeco is a top pick for customers looking for the most options for coverage. Customers are able to choose from a wide array of options designed to meet various needs.
Best Vermont car insurance for excellent customer service: Geico
Geico repeatedly receives top scores for its superior customer service in all of its dealings with policyholders. Members report dependable and consistent customer service, especially when it matters most.
Cheapest Vermont car insurance for AARP members: The Hartford
While a top-rated company, The Hartford serves a limited group. The Hartford is a trusted insurance provider for AARP members, whose membership allows older drivers to benefit from special savings on their auto policies.
Cheapest Vermont car insurance for military households: USAA
USAA also serves a restricted group, catering specifically to military households.
Based on our research, these are the cheapest average annual premiums for the cheapest Vermont auto insurance.
- Safeco: $472
- The Hartford: $633
- USAA: $632
- Geico: $901
- Progressive: $1,223
Average cost of car insurance in Vermont
The average price for Vermont car insurance each year is $1,027, which is 28% lower than the national average.
Your policy is based on several factors. Insurance companies consider the kind of car you have, how much you drive, your driving record and even your credit score.
These are average annual premiums for Vermont car insurance based upon your driving record:
|Driver history||Average annual premium|
Car insurance discounts in Vermont
No matter your past, there are still ways to save on your bottom line. Many companies participate in discount programs, like safe driving for customers with an excellent driving record and individual credit for college students.
Geico’s discounts include:
- Anti-theft system
- Defensive driving or driver’s education
- Emergency deployments
- Federal employees
- Five-year accident free discount
- Good student
- Safety discounts for having air bags or anti-lock braking systems
- Seatbelt use
Safeco’s discounts include:
- Accident prevention course
- Anti-theft devices
- Low mileage
- Multiple cars
- Multiple policy
- Own your home
Progressive has several discounts, including:
- Automatic payment
- Continuous insurance
- Distant student
- Good driver with the Snapshot program
- Good student
- Paperless billing
- Pay in full
- Sign online
- Teen driver
The Hartford’s discounts include:
- Driver training
- Good student
- Hybrid and electric vehicles
- Pay in full
- Safe vehicle features like airbags
USAA has discounts like:
- Bundled insurance
- Defensive driving course
- Family discount
- Good student
- Military deployment
- Multiple vehicle
- New vehicle
- Safe driver
- Stored vehicle
State minimum insurance requirements in Vermont
Vermont requires drivers to carry a minimum liability insurance per accident:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability per crash
- $10,000 for property damage per crash
Uninsured/underinsured coverage is also mandatory with $50,000 motorist bodily injury per person, $100,000 for bodily injury per crash, and $10,000 motorist property damage per crash. Additional coverage is available but optional, depending on your needs.
Drivers may opt out of a car insurance policy if they pay a deposit to and complete an SR-22 form that assumes fiscal responsibility for incidents where you were driving, no matter the vehicle.
Frequently asked questions
What is the cheapest car insurance in Vermont?
The cheapest car insurance Vermont offers depends on what you are looking for. For example, USAA would not be the cheapest car insurance for you if you are not a military member, and the same goes for The Hartford and their age requirements. Each company also has its own strengths and weaknesses that may not work for you, depending on what you find most important.
What information is needed to get car insurance in Vermont?
To open a new auto policy, you will need to know all of your vehicle information, including the year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN). Personal information is required, too, such as your social security number, driver’s license number, bank information and address. Ask your insurance company what they require.
Does Vermont require car insurance?
Vermont does require its residents to carry a minimum of liability coverage. The exception to this rule requires that a driver submit an SR-22 form and pay a substantial deposit in case of future damage.
How can I lower my insurance rate?
There are many ways to lower your premium. Many insurance companies will offer discounted policies if you complete a driver safety and education course. There are also discounts if you bundle your car and homeowners insurance or have multiple vehicles on your policy. You can also benefit from rewards for paying in full or extending your plan before the end of the term.