Ever wondered if being a safe driver could save you money on auto insurance? Your dream comes true with State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save policy, which rewards cautious drivers with discounts on their car insurance. Whether you are a new driver trying to learn good driving habits or an experienced car owner with a clean record, this program is beneficial for everyone with a vehicle. Even if you have a ticket to your name, you are eligible to enroll in this policy and enjoy risk-free savings on your auto insurance coverage.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
If you are already a State Farm policyholder, this is a program worth signing up for because of the significant savings you get to enjoy. Even if you are not a State Farm customer but want to save money on auto insurance, you might consider switching your provider, because the savings of this policy lowers the already competitive rates of this nationwide insurance company. With policyholders raving about this program and positive reviews galore, the Drive Safe and Save scheme is the dream come true for all responsible drivers.
So what is the brouhaha all about? It’s simple to understand. State Farm’s Drive Safe and Save program uses a telematics device or your car’s OnStar system to get real-time data on your driving habits. The better your habits, the more you stand to save. The company says you could save anywhere between 30% and 50% on auto insurance with this program.
Once you have a policy with the company, it’s easy to request the Drive Save and Save program online or through your agent and sign your car up to participate. If you have more than one car on your policy, you’ll need to sign up each one separately. This is an optional program but you have nothing to lose if you choose to join. Just signing up nets you a 5% discount and if your driving is solid, the discounts will accrue and be applied to your account every six months. So even if you have a bad month or two, you will still probably see savings in the next period.
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
It is easy to sign up and start using Drive Safe and Save. There are two options: you can sign up with your cell phone and an app, or you can use your car’s OnStar system, if it has one.
Drive Safe and Save app
The free Drive Safe and Save app is an easy-to-install piece of software for your Apple or Android phone. Once you download it from Google Play or the App Store, State Farm will send you a small beacon, about the size of a quarter, that you’ll stick on your windshield. Here are the details:
- Text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the app in Google Play or the App Store. You’ll only be able to download the app received in the form of a link if your smartphone is compatible
- Log in to the installed app using your statefarm.com user ID and password
- Wait for your Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail a few days after enrolling
- When your beacon arrives, take it to the car and follow the easy setup instructions from the app
- The app is user-friendly and not complicated at all, and you should be on your way in no time
If your car is equipped with the OnStar technology, it is even simpler to sign up. Using your active OnStar account and the telematic abilities of this technology, your driving habits are shared with State Farm. To enroll, contact State Farm at 888-559-1922 and give them the details of your OnStar plan, and an agent will enroll your eligible vehicle.
What does State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitor?
Drive Safe and Save is based on your mileage and driving habits. The app will monitor how many miles you drive, along with some driving characteristics.
- Acceleration – When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car. This program needs you to prove that you’re a safe driver by not accelerating too fast.
- Braking – Driving at a safe speed is as essential as keeping a good distance between your car and the one in front of you. Drive Safe and Save monitors how quickly you brake, and rewards you for braking slowly, proving you kept a safe distance, rather than braking quickly to avoid a collision.
- Cornering – The technologies can track quick, sharp turns, which are not safe driving behaviors. Quick or sharp turns usually show that you were trying to avoid rapidly approaching cars – putting you at risk for a crash.
- Speed – If you speed by 8 miles per hour or more, the app takes notice. To be considered a safe driver, you need to obey the speed limits.
- Phone Use – This is an obvious hazard on the road, but several people still use their phones while driving. The technology can track when you’re using your phone, through movement and use of the screen. Avoid phone use while driving for your safety and help increase your State Farm discounts at the same time.
- Time of Day – If possible, avoid driving when traffic is heavy. This includes rush hour and late-night traffic.
All these factors are collected by State Farm and they go into the Drive Safe and Save grades, which give the company a snapshot view of your driving skills. These grades are used to determine your discount percentage. The safer your driving, the higher your discount.
How do you save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
Every six months, at the time of your policy renewal, State Farm will use the Drive Safe and Save technology to determine how safe your driving has been. Based on the elements it measures — acceleration, braking and other benchmarks — it will assign a discount to your policy, which will be somewhere between 5% and 50%. You should be able to see this discount reflected in your next premium bill.
Who is the Drive Safe and Save program a good option for?
Responsible drivers can save hundreds of dollars on their insurance premium by opting for the Drive Safe and Save program. By adhering to low-risk driving, you can have discounts reflected in your premium cost.
It might also be a good option for those who want to improve their driving habits. There’s little risk involved in signing up. The program doesn’t monitor tickets or traffic stops, and the only way your rates can go up on the program is if you already have the discount for low-mileage driving of less than 7,500 miles per year, and the program shows you’ve exceeded that.
Young drivers can also benefit immensely from this program. If you’ve got a teen or young adult who’s just started driving, this program will give you an informal way of knowing how well they’re doing behind the wheel so that you can help them become a safer and more conscientious driver.
FAQs about the Drive Safe and Save program
Can your rates go up with Drive Safe and Save?
This happens only if your car has the low-mileage discount (under 7,500 miles a year) and you exceed that. In such a case, you will lose the discount.
Are all cars in a household required to participate?
No. This program is car-specific and discounts apply individually for each car that is enrolled.
How often are discounts calculated?
Your accrued savings are calculated every six months at the time of the policy renewal. Depending on your driving behaviors, your discounts will increase or decrease with every renewal.
How do you see your program discount?
You can see your current accrued discount at:
- The Drive Safe & Save account page
- Through the State Farm mobile app
- Through the Drive Safe and Save app