Most people want to save money on their car insurance, and if you’re a State Farm customer there is an innovative program that allows you to do just that. Called Drive Safe and Save, it uses a telematics device or your car’s OnStar system to get real-time data on your driving habits. If those habits are good, the company says you could save up to 50% on your policy.
State Farm Drive Safe and Save is a good option if you’re a safe and cautious driver. It can also be a good way for new drivers to learn more about how they can improve their driving skills through the feedback they get from State Farm. Even if you’ve got a ticket or two under your belt, Drive Safe and Save can be a good way to pay less on your car insurance premiums.
State Farm Drive Safe and Save reviews are generally positive, with policyholders loving the savings that result from the program. Since there’s no risk to signing up, it’s worth the little time it takes to get up and running with the program, so you can save 5-50% on your policy premiums.
What is State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
If you are already a State Farm policyholder, this is a great program to join because of the significant savings involved. If you don’t have a policy with State Farm, it may be worth switching to participate, since the savings will bring State Farm’s already competitive prices down even further. Once you have a policy with the company, it’s easy to request the Drive Save and Save program online or through your agent.
With Drive Safe and Save, you sign your car up to participate. If you have more than one car on your policy, you’ll need to sign each one up separately. Even though it’s optional, there is nothing to lose by joining it: just signing up nets you a 5% discount. If your driving is solid, the discounts will accrue and be applied to your account every six months. So even if you have a bad month or two, you will still probably see savings in the next period.
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
How does Drive Safe and Save work? It’s simple. There are two options for using the program: you can sign up with your cell phone and an app, or you can use your car’s OnStar system, if it has one.
Drive Safe and Save app
The free Drive Safe and Save app is an easy-to-install piece of software for your Apple or Android phone. Once you download it from Google Play or the App Store, State Farm will send you a small beacon, about the size of a quarter, that you’ll stick on your windshield. Here are the details:
- Text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the app in Google Play or the App Store. You’ll only be able to download the app received in the form of a link if your smartphone is compatible
- Log in to the installed app using your statefarm.com user ID and password
- Wait for your Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail a few days after enrolling
- When your beacon arrives, take it to the car and follow the easy setup instructions from the app
- The app is user-friendly and not complicated at all, and you should be on your way in no time
If your car has OnStar and you have an active OnStar account, it’s even easier. The OnStar technology takes the place of the app and beacon, using its telematic abilities to share your driving habits with State Farm. To enroll, just contact State Farm at 888-559-1922 and give them the details of your OnStar plan, and an agent will enroll your eligible vehicle.
What does State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitor?
Drive Safe and Save is based on your mileage and driving habits. The app will monitor how many miles you drive, along with some driving characteristics.
- Acceleration – Prove you’re a safe driver by not accelerating too fast. When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car.
- Braking – When it comes to braking, the safest driving habits to have are keeping a good distance between you and the car in front of you and driving at a safe speed. Drive Safe and Save monitors how quickly you brake, and rewards you for braking slowly, proving you kept a safe distance, rather than braking quickly to avoid an accident.
- Cornering – The technologies can track quick, sharp turns, which are not safe driving behaviors. Quick or sharp turns usually show that you were trying to avoid quickly approaching cars – putting you at risk for a collision.
- Speed – If you speed by 8 miles per hour or more, the app takes notice. To be considered a safe driver, you need to obey the speed limits.
- Phone Use – This is an obvious hazard on the road, but so many people use their phones while driving. The technology can track when you’re using your phone, through movement and use of the screen. Avoid phone use while driving for your safety and help increase your State Farm discounts at the same time.
- Time of Day – If you can, avoid driving when traffic is heavy. This includes rush hour when people are on their way to work and returning home. It’s also good to avoid driving late at night when alcohol can impair other drivers.
All these factors are collected by State Farm and go into the State Farm Drive Safe and Save grades, which give the company a snapshot view of your driving skills. From there, the company uses the grades to determine how much your discount will be. The safer your driving, the higher your discount.
How do you save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
Every six months, at the time of your policy renewal, State Farm will use the Drive Safe and Save technology to determine how safe your driving has been. Based on the elements it measures — acceleration, braking and other benchmarks — it will assign a discount to your policy, which will be somewhere between 5-50%. You should be able to see this discount reflected in your next premium bill.
Who is the Drive Safe and Save program a good option for?
Drive Safe and Save can be a great option if you’re a good driver, because it can save you hundreds of dollars on your insurance premium. This program rewards you for low-risk driving. If you stay at the speed limit, brake softly when possible, avoid driving late at night and more, you’ll see that reflected in your premium cost.
It might also be a good option for you if you’re not the greatest driver, because it can help you become aware of areas where you need to improve. There’s little risk involved in signing up. The program doesn’t monitor tickets or traffic stops, and the only way your rates can go up on the program is if you already have the discount for low-mileage driving of less than 7,500 miles per year, and the program shows you’ve exceeded that.
It can also be a good program for young drivers. If you’ve got a teen or young adult who’s just started driving, this program will give you an informal way of knowing how well they’re doing behind the wheel so that you can help them become a safer and more conscientious driver.
FAQs about the Drive Safe and Save program
With State Farm Drive Safe and Save, you will save no matter how, when or how many miles you drive. Here are State Farm Drive Safe and Save FAQS that may be of interest.
Can Drive Safe and Save raise rates?
The only way your rates would go up under the Drive Safe and Save program is if you had the low-mileage discount (under 7,500 miles a year) and the technology showed that you have gone past that. In that case, you would lose the discount. There’s no other risk of having your rates go up through Drive Safe and Save.
How do you set up Drive Safe and Save?
Call State Farm at 888-559-1922 to enroll your OnStar-enabled vehicle. You’ll need an active OnStar subscription. Or you can text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the Drive Safe and Save app from the Google Play or App Store. If the app downloads, your smartphone is compatible. Wait for the Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail and install it in the vehicle following the instructions from the mobile app.
Is Drive Safe and Save only for Drivers with a perfect driving history?
The Drive Safe & Save discount isn’t affected by tickets or traffic accidents. Drive Safe & Save collects actual miles driven and basic driving characteristics to calculate the discount. Even if your driving isn’t perfect, the program can be a good way to stay aware of your driving abilities and work to improve them.
How do you see your program discount?
You can see your current accrued discount at:
- The Drive Safe & Save account page
- Through the State Farm mobile app
- Through the Drive Safe and Save app
The discount information will be updated at each auto policy renewal, which is typically every 6 months.