If you pride yourself on your safe driving habits, enrolling in State Farm’s Drive Safe & Save can help you put money back in your pocket. The program monitors your vehicle using OnStar or a mobile app to track how much driving you do — and how. State Farm rewards good drivers who use the program. The insurer claims you can get an auto insurance discount of up to 30% based on how you drive. Read on for our State Farm Safe and Save review.
How can you get Drive Safe and Save State Farm Discounts?
Drive Safe and Save is for current State Farm car insurance customers. To benefit from the program, you’ll need to sign up for insurance by getting an online quote or contacting a local State Farm agent. Once you’re insured, you can request the Drive Safe and Save program online or through your agent.
The Drive Safe and Save program is car specific. If you have multiple cars on your State Farm policy, you can choose which cars should participate and enroll them. The program is optional, but it’s an easy way to get a discount while encouraging you to drive safer, so you can save money and reduce risk.
You’ll automatically get 5% off your insurance premiums just for signing up. Other discounts are based on your annual mileage and basic driving characteristics. The amounts accrued in savings will be deducted from your policy premium. Improving your driving habits can save some drivers far more than the initial 5% at sign up. According to State Farm, “Some customers could see a discount of up to 50%.”
How does State Farm Drive Safe and Save work?
There are two ways to take advantage of this State Farm safe driver program. Both ways are relatively simple to set up and will help State Farm monitor your driving habits to earn you discounts. Take a closer look.
If your car already has OnStar technology, getting started is simple. You’ll need an active OnStar plan so the telematic features like OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics (OVD) and Turn-By-Turn Directions can share your driving habits with State Farm. Contact State Farm at 888-559-1922 to give them the details about your OnStar plan, and an agent will enroll your eligible vehicle.
Drive Safe and Save app
If you don’t have an OnStar-enabled vehicle, you can download and install the free Drive Safe and Save mobile app and request a Bluetooth beacon by mail. State Farm will deliver the beacon to you for free. Once connected, the technologies will be able to track your mileage and how you drive. Here are the steps to set up the State Farm Drive Safe and Save mobile app:
- Text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the app in Google Play or the App Store. You’ll only be able to download the app received in the form of a link if your smartphone is compatible
- Log in to the installed app using your statefarm.com user ID and password
- Wait for your Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail a few days after enrolling
- When your beacon arrives, take it to the car and follow the easy setup instructions from the app
What does State Farm Drive Safe and Save monitor?
Drive Safe and Save is based on your mileage and driving habits. The app will monitor how many miles you drive, along with some driving characteristics.
- Acceleration – Prove you’re a safe driver by not accelerating too fast. When you accelerate too fast, you have less control over your car.
- Braking – When it comes to braking, the safest driving habits to have are keeping a good distance between you and the car in front of you and driving at a safe speed. Drive Safe and Save monitors how quickly you brake, and rewards you for braking slowly, proving you kept a safe distance, rather than braking quickly to avoid an accident.
- Cornering – The technologies can track quick, sharp turns, which are not safe driving behaviors. Quick or sharp turns usually show that you were trying to avoid quickly approaching cars – putting you at risk for a collision.
- Speed – If you speed by 8 miles per hour or more, the app takes notice. To be considered a safe driver, you need to obey the speed limits.
- Phone Use – This is an obvious hazard on the road, but so many people use their phones while driving. The technology can track when you’re using your phone, through movement and use of the screen. Avoid phone use while driving for your safety and help increase your State Farm discounts at the same time.
- Time of Day – If you can, avoid driving when traffic is heavy. This includes rush hour when people are on their way to work and returning home. It’s also good to avoid driving late at night when alcohol can impair other drivers.
How do you save with State Farm Drive Safe and Save?
State Farm will gather and analyze the information from the technology before your policy renewal. Based on your mileage, acceleration, braking, turning, speed, phone use and typical time of driving, you can save up to 30% on your policy. Policy renewal typically occurs every six months, so you can expect to save at that time.
Who is the Drive Safe and Save program a good option for?
Simply put, the State Farm safe driver program is a good option for safe drivers. State Farm Drive Safe and Save is a way to reward those who are least at risk for collisions and accidents. If you drive the speed limit, put your phone away while driving and are cautious while you accelerate, brake and turn, you can really save big with this discount program. Also, if you avoid driving late at night or during heavy traffic, you can save even more. And for those who have a low annual mileage, you can get State Farm discounts through Drive Safe and Save – it’s an easy way to save money on your car insurance policy.
FAQs about the Drive Safe and Save program
With State Farm Drive Safe and Save, you will save no matter how, when or how many miles you drive. Here are State Farm Drive Safe and Save FAQS that may be of interest.
Can Drive Safe and Save raise rates?
Drive Safe and Save can’t add fees or rate increases to your existing policy. But your vehicle insurance rate may increase if you’re receiving a premium reduction for driving less than 7,500 miles per year and your car is driven more than that. If your premium increases, you’ll see it in a future policy renewal to reflect your actual mileage.
How do you set up Drive Safe and Save?
Call State Farm at 888-559-1922 to enroll your OnStar-enabled vehicle. You’ll need an active OnStar subscription. Or you can text SAVE to 78836 to get a link to download the Drive Safe and Save app from the Google Play or App Store. If the app downloads, your smartphone is compatible. Wait for the Bluetooth beacon to arrive in the mail and install it in the vehicle following the instructions from the mobile app.
Is Drive Safe and Save only for Drivers with a perfect driving history?
The Drive Safe & Save discount isn’t affected by tickets or traffic accidents. Drive Safe & Save collects actual miles driven and basic driving characteristics to calculate the discount.
How do you see your program discount?
You can see your current accrued discount at:
- The Drive Safe & Save account page
- Through the State Farm mobile app
- Through the Drive Safe and Save app
The discount information will be updated at each auto policy renewal, which is typically every 6 months.