Why you can trust Bankrate
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
The average cost of car insurance in the United States is $1,674 per year for a full coverage policy, which is based on a 2019 Toyota Camry. If you own a Mazda 3, the average car insurance premium is slightly lower. The average annual premium for a Mazda 3 is $1,668 for full coverage insurance, according to Bankrate’s 2022 study of quoted annual premiums.
In this review, we pulled sample quotes for the base model 2019 Mazda 3. Keep in mind that higher-end models, like the Mazda 3 Preferred or Mazda 3 Sport, might have more expensive average rates. Car insurance rates are based on several factors, including the average likelihood of accidents and repair costs for your vehicle, as well as personal factors like your driving history and the coverage types you choose.
How much does it cost to insure a Mazda 3?
The average American driver pays $1,674 per year for full coverage car insurance (based on a 2019 Toyota Camry). In addition to other factors, the make and model of your vehicle has a big impact on the average cost of car insurance. Plus, rates for the same make and model will vary based on the insurance company you choose. Here are some of the factors that impact the cost of Mazda 3 car insurance:
- Crash rate stats: Mazda 3s are generally very safe vehicles. The 2019 base model, equipped with front crash prevention, received the “Top Safety Pick” badge from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). The car has good ratings in most categories for crash prevention.
- Price of parts: Overall, the price of replacement parts for Mazda 3s is pretty cheap and most parts do not need to be imported from overseas. This helps keep the cost of insurance low.
- Safety features: On the 2019 Mazda 3, you will find safety features like blind-spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts, lane departure warnings, lane assist, adaptive front lighting and more.
Car insurance for a Mazda 3
On average, car insurance for a Mazda 3 costs $1,668 per year for full coverage and $494 per year for minimum coverage. However, rates are individualized based on every driver’s unique circumstances. The only way to know how much you will pay is to get a personalized rate quote. These rates can help you get a better sense of what you might pay for Mazda 3 insurance.
|Mazda 3 car insurance||Average annual premium|
The cost of Mazda 3 car insurance is only slightly cheaper than the United States national average premium of $1,674. Some of the variables that impact the cost of insurance are the vehicle’s advanced safety features, cheap cost of parts and repairs, and relatively low MSRP. The Mazda 3 also has fewer incidents of theft compared to other vehicles.
Cheapest car insurance companies for Mazda 3s
Some of the best car insurance companies for Mazda 3 insurance are Amica, Erie, Geico, State Farm and USAA. These providers are highly rated and hold a significant portion of the total industry market share. As you can see, each company offers slightly varied rates for Mazda 3 insurance.
Based on our research, the cheapest provider for Mazda 3 insurance is USAA, but depending on your personal profile and circumstances, it may not be the cheapest company for you. When shopping for Mazda 3 insurance, it is a good idea to get quotes from a few different companies to see which one is the most affordable for you.
Average annual premium for full coverage by model
Mazda 3 features that impact insurance costs
The specific features of a vehicle — including the make, model, trim package and optional add-ons — affect how much you’ll pay for car insurance. For example, safe vehicles are typically cheaper to insure than cars that lack basic safety equipment. This is because many advanced safety features can reduce the chance of an accident occurring and also reduce the severity of the crash. Here are some of the features of the Mazda 3 that impact the cost of car insurance:
- Blind spot monitoring: The Mazda 3’s blind spot monitor uses sensors to detect when objects, fast-moving vehicles or pedestrians enter the vehicle’s blind spots, and notifies the driver with lights and sounds.
- Lane departure warnings: With the lane departure warning system, the driver gets alerted when the vehicle unintentionally drifts out of a lane when traveling over 37 mph.
- Advanced Smart City Brake Support: This system is designed to be used when driving in the city or at slow speeds in a parking lot. It uses a front camera to detect vehicles and pedestrians, and if a collision is predicted, it will automatically apply the brakes.
- Luxury interior features: While Mazda is considered a premium brand and not a luxury one, the interior of the Mazda 3 begs to differ. From the standard digital speedometer to the optional heads-up display, the Mazda 3 interior feels high-end. These premium features can increase the cost of car insurance by making the vehicle more expensive to repair or replace.
Other car insurance coverage for a Mazda 3
In most states, car insurance is a legal requirement. A minimum coverage car insurance policy generally includes liability coverage, and may also include uninsured motorist coverage, underinsured motorist coverage, medical payments coverage or personal injury protection (PIP) depending on your state’s laws. However, there are other coverage options available beyond minimum coverage that could be beneficial for Mazda 3 owners.
Insurance professionals generally recommend that most drivers buy higher than state minimum liability limits to obtain more financial protection. You may even want to upgrade to a full coverage policy, which includes liability insurance, plus collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. If you lease or finance your Mazda 3, you’ll probably be required to carry full coverage as a condition of your financing. If your vehicle is financed, you might also want to consider gap insurance, which helps you pay off your outstanding loan balance if your car gets totaled or stolen.
Other endorsements to consider are accident forgiveness, which may help prevent your premium from increasing after your first accident. If you have aftermarket parts installed in your Mazda 3, some insurance companies offer a custom parts endorsement, which could pay to repair or replace custom equipment, like rims, a stereo system or grille.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2021 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverage that meets each state’s requirements. Our base profile drivers own a 2019 Mazda 3, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should only be used for comparative purposes.