First Mortgage Direct Review 2023
The Bankrate promise
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for .
At a glance
Conventional, jumbo, FHA, VA, USDA, fixed-rate, adjustable-rate; rate-and-term, cash-out and streamline refinancing; home equity loan; investment property
Available in all U.S. states
Min. credit score required
620 for conventional loans; 580 for FHA loans; 580 for VA loans
Pros and cons
- Customized online quote tool
- No origination or hidden fees
- Readily available loan officers via phone or email
- Preapprovals take slightly longer compared to other lenders
- Not accredited by the Better Business Bureau
First Mortgage Direct overview
First Mortgage Direct, a division of Bison State Bank in Kansas, is available to borrowers nationwide. The lender was founded on the principles of "honesty, integrity and experience," according to its website. Notably, First Mortgage Direct doesn’t charge origination fees or other hidden costs or participate in any gimmicky specials or limited-time offers. Typically, qualified borrowers can obtain a preapproval in 48 hours (two business days), and purchase loan closings currently average 32 days.
First Mortgage Direct is good for
Borrowers interested a fast preapproval and a variety of mortgage options
Breakdown of First Mortgage Direct overall score
- Affordability: First Mortgage Direct’s rates are in line with competitive rates from other lenders. Unlike others, however, it doesn’t charge an origination fee. To see this lender’s rates, you’ll first need to complete a short online form.
- Availability: This lender does business in every state and has a diverse set of loan offerings for different kinds of borrowers, including investors.
- Borrower experience: You can apply for a mortgage via the First Mortgage Direct website. Its business hours are limited to weekdays.
To determine a mortgage lender’s Bankrate Score, Bankrate’s editorial team rates lenders on a scale of one to five stars based on a variety of factors relating to the lender’s products and services. Bankrate’s partners compensate us, but our opinions are our own, and partner relationships do not influence our reviews. Here is our full methodology.
Like many online-based lenders, First Mortgage Direct doesn’t charge an origination fee, so you’ll save some money on closing costs. The specific rate you receive with First Mortgage Direct will depend on your circumstances, such as loan amount, credit profile and down payment.
First Mortgage Direct provides conventional loans as well as government-insured loans (FHA, VA and USDA), along with options to refinance your existing mortgage. It also offers investor loans. It is licensed to lend to borrowers in all 50 states.
Borrower experience: 4.5/5
First Mortgage Direct was founded in 2008 and has since funded $5.25 billion in loan volume. The lender is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
Borrowers can apply for a loan online through First Mortgage Direct’s website and are able to ask questions throughout the process via email or phone. The lender offers online preapprovals within two days, and its website features a selection of calculators, including rent versus own, debt consolidation and home closing costs, to help you weigh different scenarios.
If you have questions about a loan, loan officers are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT.
Refinancing with First Mortgage Direct
First Mortgage Direct offers rate-and-term, cash-out and streamline refinancing, and you can apply for a refinance online. There are no lender fees, but you’ll have to pay for third-party services, such as the appraisal.
Alternatives to First Mortgage Direct
- Orchard Mortgage review – Offers instant underwriting decisions
- NBKC Bank mortgage review – On-time loan closing guarantee or you and the seller get $2,500 each
- Better mortgage review – Like First Mortgage Direct, this lender doesn’t charge commissions or fees
First Mortgage Direct consumer reviews
About consumer ratings
Customer service rating
92% of reviews would recommend this lender
10 of 10 rates honored
Review this lender
Write a review of your experience with First Mortgage Direct.
of 13 reviews
The consumer reviews posted on Bankrate.com ("Bankrate") are individual, subjective opinions of reviewers, and not of Bankrate. Bankrate does not endorse any of the opinions expressed by reviewers or any responses to reviews.
To help serve you with relevant information the consumer reviews shown below are limited to only those that this advertiser has received during the past 12 months.
Senior mortgage reporter
Jeff Ostrowski covers mortgages and the housing market. Before joining Bankrate in 2020, he wrote about real estate and the economy for the Palm Beach Post and the South Florida Business Journal.