Citizens Insurance review 2022
Why you can trust Bankrate
At Bankrate we strive to help you make smarter financial decisions. While we adhere to strict , this post may contain references to products from our partners. Here's an explanation for . Our content is backed by Coverage.com, LLC, a licensed entity (NPN: 19966249). For more information, please see our .
At a glance
About Bankrate ScoreHover for more
Policyholders who live in Florida and cannot find standard home insurance coverage might consider Citizens as their company of choice.
- May provide coverage for homes that are difficult to insure
- Wind-only coverage is available
- 24/7 claim reporting
- Only available in Florida
- No online quotes
- Must meet eligibility criteria
Citizens home insurance
Citizens home insurance may be an option if you live in Florida and have not been able to find private home insurance, or if the home insurance you do find is prohibitively expensive. The company is often referred to as a “last resort carrier” and has become an increasingly important part of the Florida home insurance market in the last few years, as many private carriers struggle to survive in such a risky state. While Citizens is an important option for many homeowners, those who qualify for standard coverage will want to consider Florida’s host of other traditional best home insurance companies when insuring their home.
Citizens home insurance cost
While the average cost of home insurance in Florida is $1,648 per year for $250,000 in dwelling coverage, Citizens may be a cheaper home insurance option than private insurers. One of the ways to qualify for coverage with Citizens is to show that the rates for a comparable policy with private insurers are more than 20% higher than the rates with Citizens. However, average prices for this company are not available from Quadrant Information Services. The rates below are Florida’s average annual prices for several dwelling limits.
Citizens home insurance discounts
Homeowners who want to save money on home insurance may be able to take advantage of discounts through Citizens Property Insurance. There are five discounts available. In order to qualify for many of these discounts, you must get a home inspection first. Below are some of the most impactful discounts that Citizens offers:
Citizens home services
Citizens specializes in selling homeowners insurance and does not offer additional services. However, the company may be able to help you find an authorized wind-mitigation or roof inspector, and these inspections could save you money on your premium. Citizens also has helpful online resources tailored to Florida homeowners, like storm preparedness checklists and a news section. There’s also an online portal for policyholders to manage their accounts.
Other Citizens perks
If you aren’t a homeowner or have a home that needs specialized coverage, Citizens may still be able to help you. In addition to standard HO-3 insurance, Citizens also sells the following types of coverage:
- Renters contents
- Modified homeowners
- Dwelling fire/landlord
- Mobile home
- Mobile dwelling fire/landlord
Citizens corporate sustainability
Citizens does not highlight any specific social responsibility actions. However, the Florida home insurance market is chaotic, so Citizens may be doing social good by simply offering coverage to homeowners who can’t find a policy elsewhere. Citizens is a not-for-profit insurer and lists five core values on its website: public service, integrity, respect, responsiveness and sound judgment.
Not sure if Citizens is right for you?
Citizens is a key player in the Florida home insurance market, but it isn’t the only option. However, it’s important to note that — depending on your circumstances — you may not have any other option but Citizens. The company is there to provide coverage for homeowners who haven’t been able to find a policy elsewhere. If you do qualify for private coverage though, here are some of the best home insurance companies in Florida to consider:
- Kin: Kin only operates in the high-risk states of Florida and Louisiana. The company takes a tech-forward approach to rates and claims that may appeal to homeowners looking for a non-traditional insurance experience.
- State Farm: State Farm may appeal to homeowners who like having a local agent to work with. Due to the company’s agency network and high third-party scores, State Farm won a Bankrate Award for the best overall home insurance company.
- Tower Hill: This company was founded in Florida and may be more familiar with the needs of Florida homeowners than other insurers. Tower Hill offers some unique optional coverage types, including screened porch coverage and lock replacement coverage.
Keep in mind that not all companies are available in all areas of Florida. Eligibility may also be restricted based on your home’s unique features. Talking with an agent from each company is the best way to know if you qualify for coverage.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze 2022 rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Rates are weighted based on the population density in each geographic region. Quoted rates are based on 40-year-old male and female homeowners with a clean claim history, good credit and the following coverage limits:
- Coverage A, Dwelling: $150,000, $250,000, $350,000, $450,000, $750,000
- Coverage B, Other Structures: $15,000, $25,000, $35,000, $45,000, $75,000
- Coverage C, Personal Property: $75,000, $125,000, $175,000, $225,000, $375,000
- Coverage D, Loss of Use: $30,000, $50,000, $70,000, $90,000, $150,000
- Coverage E, Liability: $300,000, $300,000, $300,000, $300,000, $500,000
- Coverage F, Medical Payments: $1,000
The homeowners also have a $1,000 deductible and a separate wind and hail deductible (if required).
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes will differ.