Safety Insurance operates under two key principles—customer service and safety. The company was founded in 1979 and is one of the leading auto and home insurance carriers in Massachusetts, Maine and New Hampshire. Safety Insurance company has received local and national recognition for its insurance technology, financial strength and company performance.
Safety car insurance
Safety auto insurance has competitive rates, good coverages and an impressive lineup of endorsement packages for extra protection. The exact policy offerings and discounts vary by state. However, drivers in Massachusetts have the most coverage options and savings opportunities to choose from.
Types of coverage
Safety Insurance offers basic coverage in all three states, plus great endorsements. Here are some of the policy options available:
- Full coverage: Safety Insurance offers full coverage policies, which include collision, comprehensive, liability and medical payments coverage. In Massachusetts, full coverage insurance comes with personal injury protection (PIP) because of the no-fault laws.
- Gap insurance: Gap insurance is valuable for leased or financed vehicles. If a car is totaled, this option covers the difference between the car’s diminished value and the remaining loan balance.
- Safety Shield package: The Safety Shield endorsement package is available in all three states that Safety Insurance services, but the coverages included vary by state. In general, this endorsement provides optional coverages such as guaranteed replacement cost, air bag coverage, emergency travel expense coverage and more.
- Safety Shield Plus package (MA): The Safety Shield Plus endorsement package available in Massachusetts includes everything in the Safety Shield package, plus accident forgiveness, expanded personal effects coverage, pet coverage, seat belt coverage and bail bonds coverage.
Cost of Safety car insurance
Safety’s car insurance policies are very affordable. The average full coverage policy costs $795 per year and the average minimum coverage policy costs $306 per year. For comparison, the average full coverage policy in the United States costs $1,738 annually. However, every driver pays a different rate based on their state, ZIP code, age, credit score, type of car and more.
|Average Annual Premium for Minimum Coverage||Average Annual Premium for Full Coverage|
Quadrant Information Services, 2020
Safety Insurance offers a wide variety of car insurance discounts that may help qualifying policyholders save money. Here are some of the the discounts available:
- Multi-policy discount: Drivers can save up to 10% when they bundle two or more policies with Safety Insurance.
- Multi-vehicle discount: Drivers can save up to 10% when they insure more than one vehicle with Safety Insurance (not available in NH or ME).
- Good student discount: Students who maintain a ‘B’ or better average, or are on the Dean’s List or Honor Roll, can save 10% on their policies.
- Student away at school discount: If a student attends school at least 100 miles away from home and does not have access to a vehicle, their parents can save 10% on their insurance premium.
- Electronic policy discount: Drivers who purchase a policy online can save up to 7% on their insurance premium.
Safety home insurance
Safety home insurance offers affordable and reliable coverage for single family homes. The company offers standard coverage and has several endorsements available for added protection. There are also multiple discounts that homeowners can take advantage of to get a cheaper premium, if they qualify.
Types of coverage
Below are some of the home insurance coverage options available from Safety Insurance, but keep in mind that exact coverages may vary by state:
- Standard coverage: Basic home insurance policies include coverage for the dwelling, other structures, personal property, liability, medical payments and loss of use if a home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss.
- Safety Supreme package: The Safety Supreme endorsement package includes replacement cost coverage for dwelling and personal property, 150% building replacement cost coverage, all risk contents coverage, increased limits for valuables, personal injury coverage, an additional $100,000 in liability coverage, ordinance coverage and sewer/water backup coverage up to $2,000.
- Supreme Plus package: The Supreme Plus endorsement package includes everything in the Safety Supreme package, plus guaranteed replacement cost coverage, sewer/water backup coverage up to $5,000 and service line coverage up to $10,000.
- Safety Complete package: The Safety Complete endorsement package includes replacement cost coverage for dwelling and personal property, guaranteed replacement cost coverage, all risk contents coverage, increased limits for valuables, personal injury coverage, an additional $100,000 in liability coverage, ordinance coverage, sewer/water backup coverage up to $7,500, business property coverage up to $10,000, ID theft reimbursement coverage up to $15,000, service line coverage up to $10,000 and mechanical breakdown coverage up to $50,000.
- Home Cyber Protection endorsement: The Home Cyber Protection endorsement includes identity theft protection, including losses from compromised data on personal computers, smartphones and smart home devices.
Safety Insurance customers may be able to take advantage of several discounts to potentially save money on their home insurance policy, including:
- Multi-policy discount: Homeowners can save up to 20% when they bundle two or more policies with Safety Insurance.
- Electronic policy discount: Homeowners can save 5% on their policy when they purchase a policy online.
- New home discount: Homeowners who insure a new home can get a credit of up to 15% on their insurance policy.
- Loss-free discount: Homeowners who have no prior insurance claims can save up to 16% on their policy.
- Fire/burglar alarm discount: Homes that have a fire alarm and anti-theft system can get a discount of up to 16%.
Reasons why Safety is a good option
Safety Insurance is a good option for drivers who live in Massachusetts. Although the company sells insurance in New Hampshire and Maine, residents of these states cannot get access to the same robust coverage options and discounts as Massachusetts residents. Massachusetts drivers can take advantage of Safety’s excellent endorsements, affordable policies and great customer service.
In terms of home insurance, Safety is a solid choice for anyone who lives in the coverage area. There are several endorsement packages to choose from, which come with generous and unique protection options, and a variety of discounts to help policyholders save money.
Safety ratings, reviews, customer satisfaction and complaints
Safety Insurance reviews are decent. In J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, Safety Insurance is rated 787/1,000 for overall customer satisfaction in the New England region, which is below average. Safety’s home insurance offering is not rated by J.D. Power.
|Organization||Safety Insurance Rating|
|J.D. Power Auto Insurance (New England)||787 / 1,000|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB)||A+|
|NAIC Company Complaint Index||1.85 (higher than average complaints)|
The company has good financial strength, with an A rating from AM Best. The Better Business Bureau gives Safety Insurance an A+ rating. Safety Insurance has higher than average complaints as reported by the NAIC Company Complaint Index.
Additional policies offered by Safety
In addition to auto and homeowners insurance, Safety offers the following policies:
- Dwelling fire insurance
- Personal umbrella insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Business owners insurance
- Commercial umbrella insurance
- Commercial package policy (MA only)
- Billing information insurance
Frequently asked questions
What do I need to get a quote from Safety?
To get a quote from Safety, you will need to contact an agent in your area. You will be asked to provide your name, address, date of birth and social security number. For auto insurance, you will need to provide information about your vehicle, including the VIN, year, make and model. For home insurance, you will be asked to provide details about your house, like the year it was built, the square footage, information on any special features and its roof condition. For both policies, you will be asked about the type and amount of coverage you need.
How do I file a claim with Safety?
Claims with Safety can be filed online, in the mobile app or over the phone with an agent. Be prepared with your policy number, a description of the incident, photo or video evidence of the damage and contact information for other people involved in the claim.
Bankrate utilizes Quadrant Information Services to analyze rates for all ZIP codes and carriers in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. Quoted rates are based on a 40-year-old male and female driver with a clean driving record, good credit and the following full coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $50,000 property damage liability per accident
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury per accident
- $500 collision deductible
- $500 comprehensive deductible
To determine minimum coverage limits, Bankrate used minimum coverages that meet each state’s requirements. Our sample drivers own a 2018 Honda Accord, commute five days a week and drive 12,000 miles annually.
These are sample rates and should be used for comparative purposes only. Your quotes may be different.